Any word on a large heavy duty fixed blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RedRunner

Any word on a large heavy duty fixed blade?

Post by RedRunner »

I did a few searches and couldn't find the post from Sal that I was looking for. I require an inquiry from Sal about what we'd like to see in a large fixed blade knife.

Any word on if we might see a larger, heavy duty fixed blade? I've got a strange desire to pick-up such a beast. The smart side of my brain keeps telling me to buy a cheaper fixed blade, find some of my old ones, but don't by a high-end heavy duty fixed blade. But my Spydie side wants a fixed blade with a nice steel. Definitely not a need item - just a strong want.

If not Spyderco, what do you guys generally suggest for a camping/hiking big fixed blade. I suppose I'm thinking in the 5" range, 3/16-1/4" thick. But I've been interested in longer. It's probably going to see heavier use in the garden than anywhere else, but I'm more aggressive in the garden than most. :)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

My Temperance Two would be my first choice for a large knife, and I wonder how it would perform in 1095 steel?
Same profile, same construction...?
Hmmmmm...

Funnily enough, I had started a grunty type blade a year or so back, and I found it again this last weekend in my workshop tidy-up...
I doubt it will be loved by many, but I wanted something to abuse and have it come up and beg for more...
5 inch long 6mm thick O1 flat grind steel blade, double guarded, and to be fitted with black linen Micarta scales...Corby bolts and Kydex sheath, as per usual...

Best of all...it will have Spyder teeth on the spine, and that it the reason why I have not finished it yet, as I am still making the grinding stones to suit...one big, two small...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Like the Temp2 or Bushcraft?

Vg10 is a nice steel for overall outdoor use. If you want something to smash into logs all day often cheaper camp knives are made from 420ss or 1075 carbon. Thick edges take to thrashing better.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have some Busses and Fehrmans. They are both great, solidly built knives but I've found my Gransfors Bruks axes handle "wood" better than either. Then a Mili is as much knife as I can imagine needing.

Ken
玉鋼
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I thought that the Temperance 2 is the current Spyderco fixed blade for now.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd say give the rock a shot the rock salt was nice but the rock is vg10 and ffg its a good chopper but lightweight. I I'm pretty sure it can handle most task brought it's way
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Just seen a Bull Shark in British Blades...
AND, it already has a Hole in the blade...!

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... ber-inlays
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The Temperance 2 is probably best of Spyderco's current offerings in the way of big knives. And of course the Mule Team series is similar shape, just a bit smaller (and you get to craft your own scales :) ). For just woodwork - carving, fire prep while camping, etc I love the Bushcrafter. It is really stout, and performs wonderfully making shavings for fire starting, etc.

My Hossam Forester and Forager models are really nice, but they are discontinued and hard to find. In terms of other brands for really tough duty, it is hard to ignore ESEE. Unconditional lifetime warranty, they are 1095 steel but well heat-treated and easy enough to touch-up in the field. I have several friends who really like their Becker's too, I just don't have any personal experience with them.

As far as best bang for the buck for a chopper, don't ignore a Condor or Imacasa/Tramontina machete - much cheaper than a big knife, and a machete is something that is likely to get banged on a few rocks while clearing brush and weeds anyway :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

If you're trimming trees at ground level, a nice thin 12"+ blade pruning saw works wonders (I prefer Japanese saws specifically), and for anything above your head get nice big pole saw (I can clear trails all afternoon with my 5' to 9' telescoping pole saw).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That M4 chopper will happen eventually. I have faith! :)
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

RedRunner wrote:I did a few searches and couldn't find the post from Sal that I was looking for. I require an inquiry from Sal about what we'd like to see in a large fixed blade knife.

Any word on if we might see a larger, heavy duty fixed blade? I've got a strange desire to pick-up such a beast. The smart side of my brain keeps telling me to buy a cheaper fixed blade, find some of my old ones, but don't by a high-end heavy duty fixed blade. But my Spydie side wants a fixed blade with a nice steel. Definitely not a need item - just a strong want.

If not Spyderco, what do you guys generally suggest for a camping/hiking big fixed blade. I suppose I'm thinking in the 5" range, 3/16-1/4" thick. But I've been interested in longer. It's probably going to see heavier use in the garden than anywhere else, but I'm more aggressive in the garden than most. :)
At SHOT, there was a really badass H1 fixed blade, which was basically a Jumpmaster with a nice, pointy blade.

That's going to be my go-to hard use FB when it comes out.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

mark greenman wrote:At SHOT, there was a really badass H1 fixed blade, which was basically a Jumpmaster with a nice, pointy blade.

I don't believe the jumpmaster, or even the aqua series for that matter are anywhere near full tang construction. So they are at slight disadvantage when it comes to absolute heavy-dutyness/robustness.
TomH

Post by TomH »

mark greenman wrote:At SHOT, there was a really badass H1 fixed blade, which was basically a Jumpmaster with a nice, pointy blade.

Thanks for this info. This may become my go-to hard use FB too.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I was thinking of a thicker, heavier blade that you would see from ESEE and others. I like the temperance and if I'm honest with myself, a big folder is probably adequate and for a fixed blade, the Southfork is all I'd really need. Just have an odd desire to get a big blade, thick, heavy knife and Spyderco is my favorite provider.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

rodloos wrote:As far as best bang for the buck for a chopper, don't ignore a Condor or Imacasa/Tramontina machete - much cheaper than a big knife, and a machete is something that is likely to get banged on a few rocks while clearing brush and weeds anyway :) .
I concur, Rodloos. Nothing beats a basic carbon-steel machete. Make sure to get one that has a good heat treat from a reliable company (Condor, Imacassa, and ESEE are all good). If you ding it up on a big knot or unseen rock, you won't shed any tears. At the end of the day, you file/hone the blade back to shape and are ready for the next jungle adventure... :cool:

Don't get me wrong - I love the Temp2 and other big Spydieblades. I just end up taking my machete with me to camp instead of my big chopper most of the time.

TedP
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

phillipsted wrote:I concur, Rodloos. Nothing beats a basic carbon-steel machete. Make sure to get one that has a good heat treat from a reliable company (Condor, Imacassa, and ESEE are all good). If you ding it up on a big knot or unseen rock, you won't shed any tears. At the end of the day, you file/hone the blade back to shape and are ready for the next jungle adventure... :cool:

Don't get me wrong - I love the Temp2 and other big Spydieblades. I just end up taking my machete with me to camp instead of my big chopper most of the time.

TedP
Good point.