Spyderhigh: How Long Does Yours Last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Spyderhigh: How Long Does Yours Last?

Post by Cheddarnut »

I just got a PM 1 D2 about a month ago and im still buzzed from it. I tend to hyper fixate on things and my spydies are no exception. I'll pore over a knife, fondling it, inspecting it, sometimes even using it during the honeymoon period. I love it, its perfect for me. I dont need a new knife now that i have this one. But goddang how i want more. Maybe the Italians were on to something when they forged the word for love: amore- a more. MORE.
Sometimes a new knife totally quenches my need for steel and im good for 6 months.
But sometimes it provokes a compulsive accumulatory button and i tie one on (and then cut one off) obsessing over the next blade to stoke the fire, buying in short bursts to compliment the original purchase-i just ordered a pingo to celebrate loving my pm d2. What is THAT about?

So i guess what im wondering is this: how long does it take you to wear off the high of a new spydie, and what do you do to prolong the glow?
The more i enjoy a new spyderco the more i'm on here to feel the communal love, the more my interest twigs to aquire new models.

I need help.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
blujaydad

Post by blujaydad »

Not long at all! Once I have a new one in hand, I start thinking about the next one, and will it be the one! It never is, but I keep searching.

And yes, we all need help.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Not long at all, I have a condition called I'm crazy-itis. I try to find something I don't like, then convince myself I do like it despite the smallest of flaws if any at all. I have no idea why, but I do it. :( :confused:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not as long as the factory edge, lol. Great knives but they have too many siblings.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The secret is to stay away from this forum, don't read anything about any new models coming out :D .

I get very excited about a new model I have ordered, but while waiting for it to be delivered, I go online, read about yet another neat model, order another knife to soothe the itch while I am waiting for the first one to arrive, it's a terrible disease... :) .

It took me awhile to get dressed this morning, I kept changing my mind about which knives I wanted to wear today -- just got my Chaparral Stealth in on Saturday, but still excited about my Techno... started to carry my Red Persian but switched it out for my Resilience (I won one from Spyderco in their Nation Knife Day giveaway) it's kind of like a poor-man's Millie :) . Of course I still carry my CF Caly 3.5 IWB, so I guess you could say I'm still excited about that one, and I have my small Persian 2 in my other pocket, I like that one even more than I thought I would when I ordered it a few months ago, and I still carry my G10 Dragonfly in my watch pocket, I'm still excited about it after owning it for quite awhile...

So the craving doesn't go away, but the enjoyment of each acquisition is still there I guess :D .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It depends on the knife. My favorite thing is when a knife exceeds all expectations. When that happens, the excitement can take months to pass. The Techno, Sage 4, and Centofante Memory are a few that have become instant classics. I still enjoy them just as much as the day they arrived.

I also go in waves where I'll buy 10 in one month, but then I might go 2 or 3 months with nothing.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really just depends on the knife. Some of them fizzle out rather quickly (Manix 2), others grow on me and have to earn it (Military) while some keep amazing me every time i pick them up (Para 2).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:It really just depends on the knife. Some of them fizzle out rather quickly (Manix 2), others grow on me and have to earn it (Military) while some keep amazing me every time i pick them up (Para 2).
The ones that grow on me, or more accurately the ones that arent immediately graspable in their complexity, have a longer honeymoon. Sometimes i have to earn their love (sharpening 440v) or overcome minor conflicts (flick closing a para 1 in one movement) and the idiosynacracies with each model is like their personality. Getting to know a knife and its personality is more fullfilling than a one knife stand with a pretty face. Its a love/lust thing. Im planning an affair with a pingo, i hope it doesnt ruin my relationship (with d2)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As Evil D said, it depends on the knife. For example, I was totally in love with my Navaja when I got it. The design is interesting, the materials and build quality top notch, and it has a long history. After about a week, however, it became just an alright knife. None of the aforementioned attributes changed, but the honeymoon was over and the overly thick blade/grind (at least for my uses) and weight bumped it out of my "love it" category.

On the other hand, two years after getting my Sage 1, every time I pick it up I can't help but admire the ergonomics, beautiful and perfectly textured carbon fiber, and the glassy smooth opening of the blade. I love this knife even after a couple years.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I still smile when I look at or use my Navaja but I would like to reprofile for a finer edge and mirror polish the main grind (leaving the smaller flat area with the engravings alone). I have been lazy about sharpening lately and just switching to something sharp when my EDC gets a bit dull. Will probably have a sharpening session with several knives sometime soon.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

I have had my Techno for a few months now and still find myself rolling it over and over in my hands, admiring the lines, feeling the weight, opening and closing it. Hasn't worn off yet, but it was my first titanium knife and first frame lock, a couple of novelty points!

(Gratutious eye candy!)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I sort of get the Spyderhigh every time I pick one up. I also get it for knives I don't even have... :eek:
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

My knife high lasts for about a day. then i look what to order next. This happens with almost all of my hobbies. it's a disease for sure.

JD
bh49

Post by bh49 »

As few people said, for me it depends on the knife. Sometimes I need a new knife, while another one still on the route to me. Sometimea it last for a while. I was absolutely crazy about orange Dodo. I was plying with it for a few days and than realized that it is absolutely dull :eek: . I sent it to Spyderco, but couldn't take separation and bought another one from e-bay. Still love both, but honeymoon is over. Currently I am on my second honeymoon with Native5, which lasts second week.
defenestrate wrote:I still smile when I look at or use my Navaja but I would like to reprofile for a finer edge and mirror polish the main grind.
I end up with regrinding Navaja. It cuts well now, but I found the lock not easiest to disengage. Also, it is kind of personal, but my big surprise not the best fit to my hand. I always was very comfortable with other Schempps :confused:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

If I really love a knife (and Spyderco knives are real easy to love) then it is not about having that knife... it is about having one for EDC... one for backup (I tend to lose things - at least that is my rationalization) and one or two for barter when the world economy collapses (again, my rationalization, pathetic... but mine) so I end up with 3 or 4 (or 20 re: Millies) of a new favorite knife... all the while hiding them from my wife (usually unsuccessfully) and afraid to ever 'add them all up' and see that I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on drawers full of 'spares' (look for me on 'hoarders' in a few years)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

ps right now I am considering my fourth LionSpy... (is there a 'Spidercos-Anonymous'?)
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Pharmagator wrote:ps right now I am considering my fourth LionSpy... (is there a 'Spidercos-Anonymous'?)
Yes there is. Im the president and i welcome you to your salvation. As initiation all new members must submit 1 knife they have multiples of, to demonstrate their willingness to heal. A lionspy will be a sufficient submission :D :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I was sort of fine until I discovered the forum in 2007. Magazines don't show all that much. Now I have way more than I need. It doesn't last long for me usually. What I really like are the ones that grow on me, or I suddenly really like for who knows what reason. I also try to really appreciate what I have, and realize that I don't "need" more - I just want them and Jones for them. :D

- best wishes, Jazz.

-
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

This forum, and all of you. I'm fine until I log in, then I have the instant need to score again. I'm literally on my to Ebay right now. Literally.

I'll probably check CS and Howes too. :(
Slash

Post by Slash »

I'll let you know next week when I'm done playing with my stealh chap.