superblue no stain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Post by Clip »

The edge is phenomenal. Especially how fast it returns by a few quick strokes on the strop. I'm not sure if it's a characteristic of non-stainless steels, but I've been able to get O1 and SB ridiculously sharp. Well worth the "hassle" of caring for a carbon steel blade.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
krotchitty

Post by krotchitty »

I kind of like the Patina myself. I just stuck it in an orange and had lunch. It's getting there....

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I can take or leave patina. I just plain love the edge that superblue takes and I love the caly geometry. Now that guy razorsharp-travis( ;) ) and his effing reground caly, just made the geometry that much better. Wish I could send out mine to him for a regrind though...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

krotchitty wrote:I kind of like the Patina myself. I just stuck it in an orange and had lunch. It's getting there....
That is a good looking geometric patina
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Trying to keep a used Sperblue blade tarnish free would only be a frustration :eek: For me it's much more relaxing to embrace the patina and rejoice in the edge :D It's the nature of the material, doesn't make sense to fight it :)
Attachments
superblue small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Domanfp wrote:Why would you try to avoid the patina?! That is my favorite feature of the SB. The patina looks great once you embrace it
It's just a matter of taste.Me, I like mirror polished blades.And remember that the stain is the first step to rust.Some people say stain protects the blade
from rusting but I have to disagree.Stain is the first degree of rust if I may say so. Ancient warriors , and not only, were not fools when they kept their
blades free from stain.And if you intend to use your knife for food prep you should be even more cautious.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

elena86 wrote:It's just a matter of taste.Me, I like mirror polished blades.And remember that the stain is the first step to rust.Some people say stain protects the blade
from rusting but I have to disagree.Stain is the first degree of rust if I may say so. Ancient warriors , and not only, were not fools when they kept their
blades free from stain.And if you intend to use your knife for food prep you should be even more cautious.
I would respectfully disagree ;) The reaction that leads to rust, Fe2O3, is different than the reaction that leads to patina, Fe3O4. A nice patina actually helps protect the steel from rust. The different valence state taken by the iron leads to very different properties. Folks shouldn't be scared of the dark gray stuff. It's the orange stuff you have to watch out for :eek:

Patina is not the "first stage of rust". Don't sweat the gray stuff. It's the orange stuff you have to watch out for ;)

Didn't want anyone leaving the thread with an erroneous perception :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Charlie made a great clarification. Natural patina protects a blade.

Of course, it's hard to hate a shiny finish :) . If given the pick all my blades would be that way. With a carbon blade it's just going to be more tough, especially if you cut acidic things regularly and are less than paranoid with prevention.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Good clarification, Charlie. It's a point that seems to get lost quite frequently. Well said.

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dbcad wrote:I would respectfully disagree ;) The reaction that leads to rust, Fe2O3, is different than the reaction that leads to patina, Fe3O4. A nice patina actually helps protect the steel from rust. The different valence state taken by the iron leads to very different properties. Folks shouldn't be scared of the dark gray stuff. It's the orange stuff you have to watch out for :eek:

Patina is not the "first stage of rust". Don't sweat the gray stuff. It's the orange stuff you have to watch out for ;)

Didn't want anyone leaving the thread with an erroneous perception :)
Well said DB. I do find that there is a lot of misconception about patina.