Whale Rescue blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLYBYU44

Whale Rescue blade

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Anyone see the email regarding the new H1 whale rescue blade? I almost want one, but I have no idea at all what I would do with it.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

It will never be for sale, according to all the stuff I have read over the years on various forums...

I notice that there is no mention of whale rescue in New Zealand...

I have heard of least two cases of NZ whale rescues requiring cutting ropes etc in the last five years, I think, , and I therefore would wonder what they used...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

zackerty wrote:It will never be for sale, according to all the stuff I have read over the years on various forums...
They are making them available there was a thread a while back .
I see, said the blind man.
Stuart Ackerman

I am happy to be proven wrong, as I would be near the front of the queue to buy one...
Stuart Ackerman

Quick search later in Spyderco forums...

On 17 July, Taz said...

" Let's see if I can clarify this. I'm pretty sure I'm an official source (and I've been directly involved in the project since day one).

The Whale Rescue Blade is going to be made available as a regular production item. The e-mail referred to was sent out to our Collector Club members. Because it is such a unique item we've given our Collectors a choice to receive it with their number engraved as usual.

As mentioned, the Whale Rescue Blade will now be made with H1 and for that reason it is being produced in Japan. It will also have a new SKU #. The original made from 440C here in Golden was the BWRS and the new H1 version will be the BWRSH1. The move to H1 and production in Japan was due to increased demand from conservancy programs as well as new interest for use in the military and the marine industry. The MSRP will be $179.95. Once Collectors are done I'll make a regular new product announcement.

Kristi "

If it happens, I shall be rather delighted... :)
Stuart Ackerman

After a bunch of phone calls...
I have just spoken to the head of the Department of Conservation Whale Rescue in NZ, based in Kaikoura, about 200 klicks from me...South Island on the East coast...

He flies all over both islands to rescue whales and dolphins, and they are setting up a North Island team to get to rescues quicker...

They use 2 knives taped to poles with duct tape!
And pruning saws!
They have a sharp hook of sorts, but he has seen the Spyderco Whale blade used by Doug Cochran in Oz...but he has not seen it in use...

I have offered to speak to Sal about email contact between both parties to see what can be done...

I offered to pay for the blades and delivery, as DOC is government based and limited funds...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Wow cheers Zack :) . Hope you guys can save some creatures!
Stuart Ackerman

My apologies...they USED to use duct-taped knives...they now use two billhook type blades, and a pruning saw...not much better...
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

zackerty wrote:After a bunch of phone calls...
I have just spoken to the head of the Department of Conservation Whale Rescue in NZ, based in Kaikoura, about 200 klicks from me...South Island on the East coast...

He flies all over both islands to rescue whales and dolphins, and they are setting up a North Island team to get to rescues quicker...

They use 2 knives taped to poles with duct tape!
And pruning saws!
They have a sharp hook of sorts, but he has seen the Spyderco Whale blade used by Doug Cochran in Oz...but he has not seen it in use...

I have offered to speak to Sal about email contact between both parties to see what can be done...

I offered to pay for the blades and delivery, as DOC is government based and limited funds...
zackerty wrote:My apologies...they USED to use duct-taped knives...they now use two billhook type blades, and a pruning saw...not much better...
Very cool, can we get updates when you get responses?

I'm glad this is becoming available, cool little thing to have
Stuart Ackerman

I need to get hold of Sal in a quiet moment...
Busy man, he is...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zackerty,

How can I help you?

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Sal.. I shall email you in few moments, if that is okay?
Stuart Ackerman

Sa...
Email sent via your profile details...thanks muchly...
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Wohoo!! Save the whales!

A pregnant sperm whale was found dead last week about 1.5 kilometers from shore here. Poor creature! :(
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

arjay18 wrote:Wohoo!! Save the whales!

A pregnant sperm whale was found dead last week about 1.5 kilometers from shore here. Poor creature! :(
Sperm whale? I thought it was a whale shark...
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

It was a sperm whale, Chuck, I saw AND smelled :eek: the carcass when they hauled it to somewhere to further study what had happened to it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ok, arj...thanks for the clarification.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal and Kristi - Question for you. Would it be possible for us to call the SFO and buy a Whale Rescue Blade as a gift for an animal rescue organization? We'd need a POC and mailing address, of course. There is a marine animal rescue organization in Texas that operates on a shoestring with healthy volunteer contingent. They are very active in rescuing seabirds, turtles, and marine mammals.

TedP
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

phillipsted wrote:Sal and Kristi - Question for you. Would it be possible for us to call the SFO and buy a Whale Rescue Blade as a gift for an animal rescue organization? We'd need a POC and mailing address, of course. There is a marine animal rescue organization in Texas that operates on a shoestring with healthy volunteer contingent. They are very active in rescuing seabirds, turtles, and marine mammals.

TedP
That's an idea!
farns

Post by farns »

I know this isn't directly related to the whale blade but I got to searching and check out 13 seconds into the video.

Humpback Whale Rescued Link