Restoring a "rounded" tip to "needle" sharpness?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Hey guys,

I followed a link from the DMT site to Lee Valley Tools and found these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp? ... ncy=2&SID=

Which grit would be the best for my purposes of retipping and reprofiling edges, I thought perhaps the #600, what do you think?

Jeff/1911.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Jeff

I imagine the 600 grit should work fine (I don't even know what grit mine is). I looked at the DMT bench stones but I wasn't sure how the plastic disks in the surface would affect the eveness of the removal. Since they are easily accessible through Lee Valley Tools it's worth a try.

Good Luck! - and I'm glad the suggestion about rotating the handle upwards is working for you.

David

"Not all who wander are lost"
mac_heath

Post by mac_heath »

When I sharpen to the tip of a blade w/ my sharpmaker (old style, bought in mid-90's) I not only pull the handle up, I also tilt it inward slightly (towards the space between the rods). This will change the bevel at the tip, but I've found that if I just keep the bevel the same, I end up removing the steel that comprises the back of the tip.

One method of restoring a tip, particularly if it has receded above the handle's protection, is to grind the back of the knife down near the tip. I'll take a picture of a knife this was done to. The technique can change the tip profile from say a drop point to something approaching sheepsfoot. More later

there is no ginger
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Jeff

Check out www.houseoftools.com

They carry both DMT and EzeLap diamond sharpeners. They have a number of stores in Alberta and BC or you can shop online.

David

"Not all who wander are lost"
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thanks, mac_heath.

4 s ter, That's a great lead - the house of tools! I'll call tomorrow to see what the local store has in stock. If I can get one, to start with I think I'll just buy a diamond "wallet stone" in 600 grit for 12 bucks!

It's 2" wide, so that should work quite well I think. Here's the link:

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=15672

Then I'll have to get making a stand like yours...

Thanks again, Jeff/1911.
mac_heath

Post by mac_heath »

I've attached images of a knife that someone retipped. The side view shows a drop point (I assume that was similar to the original profile). The other view is from the back, where I highlighted the grinding on the tip. It was very nicely done. The entire knife appears to have been sharpened with a file (visible grooves) rather than with a stone.

there is no ginger

Edit: Add Images

Edited by - mac_heath on 9/4/2002 9:02:52 AM
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

mac_heath,

Thanks for posting the images. I plan to try retipping a knife or two using the techniques outlined here, once I find an appropriately sized and affordable diamond hone.

Jeff/1911.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Well I went to House of tools today and bought a small diamond hone made by EZE-lap. It's 600 grit, and only cost $11. It's a small plastic handle with a piece of diamond grit attached about 1" wide x 2" long or so. While not the one I had hoped to get, I think that it may work quite well. Here's how...

I attached it to one of the grey Sharpmaker stones with rubber bands, as it has a flat rear surface. Now I have a diamond surface approx. twice the width of the normal "flats" to work with. I'll write back to detail how it works out in practice, but if I like this arrangement I'll likely go buy another for the other stone and have my own styled diamond rods, for conventional Sharpmaker use. The only limitation here is that these hones will offer a much shorter available sharpening stroke than the normal rods but this arrangement may get me by until my local shop gets in some diamond Sahrpmaker rods.

Jeff/1911.