Toughest allaround Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Toughest allaround Spydie

Post by elena86 »

I am looking forward to purchase my next Sydie.I wish this one to be the toughest Spydie I ever owned, the most reliable.But to be an allaround one.I want to be easy to cary, not a big one, city friendly so to speak.With a blade between 2.5-3 inch.Able to defend my life if necessary.A Spydie I can depend my life on, both in the city and in the bush.The price is not an issue.I was thinking the little strong built like a tank(so they say, I never handled one) Native5.But I am opened to suggestions.
I need any advice I can get.Thanks guys.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Strong really depends on how you plan on using it. For me, everything you just said (especially the defend my life with part) spells Yojimbo 2. You can pass it off as an overbuilt carpet knife since the shape resembles a utility knife. It's around 3 inches in blade length, and the lock is about as strong as they come. The tip isn't super thick so you can't pry with it, but you shouldn't be prying with a knife anyway.

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions for the Techno, but i have no comment on that one since i don't own one and haven't handled one. It looks to be a really stout little stub of a knife. The Sage series is also great for what you want and you get 4 lock options with that knife, although either of these i wouldn't really consider to be very good self defense knifes, but i guess in the heat of the moment even a SAK can be used to defend yourself with. The Native 5 is a good option, but again the blade it a bit short for defense.

When you really boil it down, tough just depends on reasonable use of a knife. If you use a knife for knife jobs and not as a hatchet/throwing star/pry bar etc, then almost any knife in the line up will survive. A Delica can take a ridiculous amount of abuse before it breaks. Personally i would opt for something with thicker blade stock for a "tough" knife. Of course, a Para 2 should be a given for this also.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that the Gayle Bradley ranks right up there with the toughest.
On the hunt for...
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

If you're looking for a little tank I would go for the Techno!! Sub 3 inch, strong Ti Framelock, thick blade and scales, full flat grind and an awesome steel. What can you wish more in a little knife and the blue backspacer makes it very attractive and will suite the city :)

But if this would be the most suitable self defence knife I would not know, I'm not an expert maybe someone can fill me in.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

There are many models that fit the "tough" description. You're going to get a lot of different answers ;) Assuming you're sticking with folders elena86 I would check out a PPT with a 3-1/8" blade length. The PPT seems to ooze toughness :D
Attachments
ppt 001small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
vivi

Post by vivi »

Folders only? If not get a street beat.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that the Gayle Bradley ranks right up there with the toughest.
Tough indeed but too big for my taste.At least for city environment.And CPM-M4 is not my cup of tea.But thanks for the opinion anyway.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Vivi wrote:Folders only? If not get a street beat.
Folders only.And the part with self defense is not very important for me.But in case I need it should be ready for this.Just in case.A last ditch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most of those features are diametrically opposed. At least if you're aiming at the uncompromized ends of the spectrum.

Something in g10 makes sense. Sage3, Native5, and some others like the Junior (but it's over 3" slightly).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:Strong really depends on how you plan on using it. For me, everything you just said (especially the defend my life with part) spells Yojimbo 2. You can pass it off as an overbuilt carpet knife since the shape resembles a utility knife. It's around 3 inches in blade length, and the lock is about as strong as they come. The tip isn't super thick so you can't pry with it, but you shouldn't be prying with a knife anyway.

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions for the Techno, but i have no comment on that one since i don't own one and haven't handled one. It looks to be a really stout little stub of a knife. The Sage series is also great for what you want and you get 4 lock options with that knife, although either of these i wouldn't really consider to be very good self defense knifes, but i guess in the heat of the moment even a SAK can be used to defend yourself with. The Native 5 is a good option, but again the blade it a bit short for defense.

When you really boil it down, tough just depends on reasonable use of a knife. If you use a knife for knife jobs and not as a hatchet/throwing star/pry bar etc, then almost any knife in the line up will survive. A Delica can take a ridiculous amount of abuse before it breaks. Personally i would opt for something with thicker blade stock for a "tough" knife. Of course, a Para 2 should be a given for this also.
I like Para 2 a lot but I consider it too big for city environment, and a tad too big to EDC. Because of the handle.I always imagined a Para2 with a more refined
handle.This would be a dream knife.One of the problems with Spydies is the blade to handle ratio.Is the same with delica.I dream a Delica with a just a little shorter handle.
And I hate the modified drop point idea.They should go back to Delica3 shape and find other solutions to strenghten the tip.But that's me.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Blerv wrote:Most of those features are diametrically opposed. At least if you're aiming at the uncompromized ends of the spectrum.

Something in g10 makes sense. Sage3, Native5, and some others like the Junior (but it's over 3" slightly).
The allaround term is the key word.It has to perform well for ordinary tasks as well as for extreme ones.Just in case I need to skin an elephant (in the bush), to skin a racing car (downtown) or to skin a skin-head(just in case).God forbid !
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

elena86 wrote:Tough indeed but too big for my taste.At least for city environment.And CPM-M4 is not my cup of tea.But thanks for the opinion anyway.
Your loss :D I carry mine every day and I'm in an urban environment.

But it sounds like the Techno is your option then, or the Native 5.
On the hunt for...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Your loss :D I carry mine every day and I'm in an urban environment

But it sounds like the Techno is your option then, or the Native 5.
I concur. Even though I don't have either of those models it looks like they would fit the criteria well :) I would still prefer a PPT though, it's a super solid all around tank like beast ;)
Charlie

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:The allaround term is the key word.It has to perform well for ordinary tasks as well as for extreme ones.Just in case I need to skin an elephant (in the bush), to skin a racing car (downtown) or to skin a skin-head(just in case).God forbid !
The same knife that skins an elephant won't be worth a crap for skinning a racing car (however that's done). It's like asking for something you can chop wood with and perform open heart surgery with. You're gonna compromise somewhere because to be a super tough knife you're asking for a thick blade, and to get a super slicing knife you're asking for a thin delicate blade. As for the handle length thing, check out the Sage series, they're a little closer to 50/50 in ratio than most, they have a middle of the road blade thickness compared to most Spydercos, not too thick and not too thin. The Native 5 is similar but i think the handle might be a little longer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Evil D wrote:The same knife that skins an elephant won't be worth a crap for skinning a racing car (however that's done). It's like asking for something you can chop wood with and perform open heart surgery with. You're gonna compromise somewhere because to be a super tough knife you're asking for a thick blade, and to get a super slicing knife you're asking for a thin delicate blade. As for the handle length thing, check out the Sage series, they're a little closer to 50/50 in ratio than most, they have a middle of the road blade thickness compared to most Spydercos, not too thick and not too thin. The Native 5 is similar but i think the handle might be a little longer.
I agree with David.
Heres a question: do u actually need a 'hard use' knife, or are u worried that knives that arent considered hard use will be flimsy. Take a look at your most common cutting tasks and honestly gauge which direction (heavy use, slicing) u are biased. I reckon a large portion of newb knive owners tend to prefer overbuilt knives because they figure more is better, which of course is a false sentiment.
Ps if you think the delica handle is too big i dont know what to suggest, handles will always be longer than blades on a folder.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Some folks can put a Delica to hard work without much damage, others could probably snap a Manix2 tip around the office by neglect. Some can defend themselves with a Bic pen, others need a sword. It's all contextual per the person. In either case having a knife is better than not having one.

Balistically hard use knives typicially make crappy slicers. There are high performance short blades knives but few and far between (often with fragile evil tips).

If I was limited to 3" I would go Tasman, Lil Matriarch, or Delica. I haven't broken a tip yet and would just risk it or use less tip when cutting nasty things.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agreed that elena86 might be asking for too much in one package :)

A 4mm thick blade can become quite a slicer. The Superleaf can attest to that ;)
Charlie

elena86

Post by elena86 »

dbcad wrote:Agreed that elena86 might be asking for too much in one package :)

A 4mm thick blade can become quite a slicer. The Superleaf can attest to that ;)
I was thinking more like : a Para2 with a 3 inch blade and a stronger tip, around 3.5 inch handle, CTS-XHP steel.This would fit the bill.
Bitten1x

Post by Bitten1x »

DiAlex Junior for versatility. It's at home in a kitchen or campsite .

A folder is a poor choice for a defensive tool.

Knives for defense, without training, are poor in general.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The :spyder: that I have been hardest on is probably my first one - a 1st gen serrated Dragonfly. amazing what that one put up with. I'm sure others would be in the ballpark, though. I like the Manix 2 for current run models that are stout and sharp, but for the money, the Tenacious/Persistence is really well built and slices well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!