Two South Forks One Bull

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aotea

Two South Forks One Bull

Post by Aotea »

The three year old bull’s time had arrived. So had the opportunity to work him with the two South Forks. I wanted to see how the South Forks performed on a big animal and to compare a polished edge to a toothy edge.

Blade preparation
Both South Forks were given an edge profile of around 30 degrees inclusive. The toothy blade was finished on a DMT 325 grit (coarse) with no stropping, while the polished blade was taken up to DMT 1200 grit (extra fine) followed by silicone carbide paper to 2000 grit then stropped on leather with green compound. Both blade edges were hair shaving sharp. The South Forks had one side of the bull each.

Skinning
The first observation on starting skinning was that my toothy edge had a less raspy and aggressive cutting feel to it than the original factory edge had earlier demonstrated while working the feral pig. However both newly sharpened edges cut well and seemed similarly effective while performing their early short cutting strokes. Once the blades were doing longer strokes using more of the belly the toothy blade seemed the more efficient cutter. I preferred the in hand feel of the toothy blade with it’s slightly harsher sensation that didn’t to me seem to affect the slicing effort.
Both blades were still able to shave hair after finishing the skinning phase.

Boning
The blade had sufficient length to efficiently perform the deeper cuts such as when removing the back steaks and boning the hind quarters. The tip to belly blade edge worked the meat from bone satisfactorily.
Both blades cut well, were worked hard, and met bone frequently. Again I preferred the toothy edge with its subtle rasping cutting feel over the polished edge’s smoother even slippery cutting feel that didn’t quite seem to have the same bite.
At the end of the boning process the toothy blade still shaved arm hair readily but the polished edge shaved more reluctantly. Ten to fifteen strops per side on a green compound primed strop had the polished edge back to readily shaving.

Final processing
After a week of chilling the large blocks of meat the final processing for the freezer was done at a different venue and with five other people helping. Steaking, mincing, slicing, dicing, etc. I was too distracted to focus much on blade performance during this phase as I was supervising the helpers, using a long steaking knife much of the time, while also observing several of my other knives being used.

The knives
The handles were completely comfortable throughout the 5 1/2 hours of skinning, gutting and boning. Indeed I gave in hand comfort no thought until I was considering the issues later.
Again I found;
“..... the prominent guard acting as a land mark and a secure safety feature”.
and while the handle did get a bit (dry) greasy at times it was not slippery and my grip always felt secure and safe.
What ever the grip, forward or reverse with blade facing in or out the handle fitted comfortably and securely in hand.

The S90V blades cutting performance throughout the skinning and boning was excellent and continuous compared to how my older skinning and boning knives would have performed. Previously, when using my older softer bladed knives on cattle, I would use two skinning knives and two boning knives. I would start with one knife, steel it often and eventually swap to the second. I’d find myself becoming irritated by the frequently dulling edges.
I am confident one South Fork would have completed the skinning and boning without the edge requiring revisiting.

To summarize
The toothy edge felt to me to be the more efficient cutter and I do prefer the hand feel of the coarser finished edge when doing this type of work.
The South Forks again demonstrated to me their versatility by handling the roles of skinning and boning well. I had mentioned in an earlier post that;
“The lightness and feel of this knife in hand I like. It seems to me there is enough belly on it to be an effective skinner while still being an effective boning blade.”
along with;
“I think the tip/point configuration on this blade is proving very useful”.
These earlier thoughts have been further reinforced.
The South Forks are my first choice knives for animal processing. For now I’ll keep them as polished and toothy and of those, I know which blade will be my ‘go to one’.

The bull

Getting ready

Fore leg

Dinner
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Wow amazing and I would lOve to have that for dinner. Great job!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Aotea...where do you live...town/cuty wise?
Emcee Bunzing

Post by Emcee Bunzing »

Excellent review/comparison, the southfork is my dream knife incarnate, and i always love seeing knives used for one of their ancestral purposes such as butchering. Also that steak looks wonderful, as does the scenery.
You are only as sharp as your knife. "Life is short. If you don't stop and look around... and do whatever you want all the time... then you could miss it."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great review, thank you for sharing
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

A+ review , I do like that you compared the edges and the feel of cutting. I know a lot of butchers and meat cutters who don't understand their own tools. Even buying the least expensive cutlery and never learning to sharpen their own tools. Nice job.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Excellent review and report. :)

Spyderco really got the S90V HT dead spot on so it goes to show how good S90V really is.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Aotea, This is an amazing review. Excellent feed back on the South Fork. I guess you could say based on your review that the South Fork is a steak knife you can use from the pasture to the plate. I agree on the sharpening. The best edge for me is one that has some bite to it. I like a Norton medium silicon carbide stone and take off the burr with a couple swipes on a loaded strop. Thanks for taking the time to photograph the process. This is real world. Phil
cckw

Post by cckw »

So this is a 3yo bull. I assume you keep one intact for breeding, but butcher him before too old so that the meat is not too tough? How is the meat for flavor and toughness on a 3yo bull vs a 20 month old steer? I have meat from a bull in my freezer that my boxer eats. the Bull was a farm accident victim and didn't get butchered soon enough for human consumption. Well, at least not by modern rules of thumb. I'm sure it would be fine, but I love my boxer and she loves raw meat, and it was nearly free
v8r

Post by v8r »

Awesome thread. It's always cool to see somebody do real world testing, and describe the process. The pictures were great without being overly graphic.
I'm going to guess your location as being lower southwest Texas, or Arizona maybe. I wouldn't think it would be California, because I think they have a knife law there that probably prohibits the carry/ use of a pointy knife, with a edge. ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Very nice write up and photos.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Donut

Post by Donut »

Very nice review. Thank you for sharing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I really need to order my southforks
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

v8r wrote: I'm going to guess your location as being lower southwest Texas, or Arizona maybe.
I'd say a bit further south than that, just a guess tho :)

Nice write up, I enjoyed the read and pictures thanks.
I see, said the blind man.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Great write up. Thanks.
--Jason--
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Aotea- im with Zackerty- you seem to be very Kiwi-like :D

Thanks for the sweet comparison in edge finishes, it went exactly as I expected
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Okay, all this city slicker has to say is, this guy doesn't buy safe queens, I'm guessing. Strictly users.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Great writeup Aotea! Loved the pictorial.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The S in S90v stands for Steak from here on.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Cheddarnut wrote:The S in S90v stands for Steak from here on.
Steak 90 Venison?