Australian needs help selecting- now illegal to import so time is short

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

This is just a suggestion and it may get deleted, but if their laws are less draconian in NZ and you live on or visit the eastern coast, can you not take a vacation/charter fishing trip, stop in New Zealand for sight seeing, and buy what you want to bring back in your personal luggage. Yeah, it would be deemed "smuggling" if caught, but sometimes resistance to stupid laws passed by stupid people is the answer to tyranny.

I think England, Australia, etc are turning into police states, and the laws are getting steadily more ridiculous. I don't understand how things have gotten so bad. 20 years ago I wanted to visit and possibly be stationed in Australia for a tour, but now I would avoid the country like the plague.

My condolences to you and your countrymen.
I am one of the 0.45%.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

noobknife wrote: Anyway this is what I ended up buying after some more research and following the advice of everyone who posted, thanks agian for your input it was invaluable to me.
Military
Paramilitary 2
Gayle Bradley
Endura
Bug
Sage 1
Sage 2
Native 5
Stretch
Pacific salt
ladybug 3 salt
Zero Tolerance 0561 was $460 (may be too scared to use it)
Cold steel voyager
Boker titan drop
wenger ranger grip 78

I thought from these I would have a good range, plus they all nearly have different blade material, I think around ten different metals.
My credit card took a hit as this came to around.........wait for it......................$2300
I'm crazy right. And I am still looking at the
sage 4,
sage 3
manix 2
delica
chapparral
caly 3 or 3.5
gayle bradley air
Should I get any these considering the knives I've got? And if so which ones in what order?
$2300... :eek:

Thats what I call a solid start. :D

Do you have a way to keep them sharp?

In my humble opinion, I think use what you have, in order to see what your preferences are in terms of size, weight, locks, steels, scales etc. It will take a while... :)

Then see if you can get a way in future to land some limited/sprint runs, if possible. Where there is a will there is a way.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

OBJ Viking wrote:This is just a suggestion and it may get deleted, but if their laws are less draconian in NZ and you live on or visit the eastern coast, can you not take a vacation/charter fishing trip, stop in New Zealand for sight seeing, and buy what you want to bring back in your personal luggage. Yeah, it would be deemed "smuggling" if caught, but sometimes resistance to stupid laws passed by stupid people is the answer to tyranny.

I think England, Australia, etc are turning into police states, and the laws are getting steadily more ridiculous. I don't understand how things have gotten so bad. 20 years ago I wanted to visit and possibly be stationed in Australia for a tour, but now I would avoid the country like the plague.

My condolences to you and your countrymen.
....disregard my suggestion, apparently NZ is just as bad. A guy here recommends "running shoes" for self defense. :rolleyes:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... knife-laws
I am one of the 0.45%.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Sounds to me like you're stuck buying nothing but Spyderco Tuffs, which, if you think about it, isn't a real problem at all. :p
Divo

Post by Divo »

I like that: The WTF I buy them all attitude . . . .

:D
noobknife

Thanks, that's some good advice.

Post by noobknife »

Brock O Lee wrote:$2300... :eek:

Thats what I call a solid start. :D

Do you have a way to keep them sharp?

In my humble opinion, I think use what you have, in order to see what your preferences are in terms of size, weight, locks, steels, scales etc. It will take a while... :)

Then see if you can get a way in future to land some limited/sprint runs, if possible. Where there is a will there is a way.
GOOD ADVICE!
Before I bought any knife I purchased the Wicked Edge sharpening system with strops and 800/1000 diamond. (Looking at ceramics to go with it.)
I had already purchased an Emerson micro sub commander and cqc - 8, benchmade mini griptillian (last one in country) and a sog wd -50 woodline. I now what you mean but stocks are dropping quickly.
I should wait till I get my other knives first is smart advice.
noobknife

Post by noobknife »

OBJ Viking wrote:....disregard my suggestion, apparently NZ is just as bad. A guy here recommends "running shoes" for self defense. :rolleyes:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... knife-laws
The other problem is they x-ray our bags and if you don't declare can get up to 10 years in jail and or a $200,000 fine. :mad:
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The law is similar to the uk law on flick/gravity knives that is the crux it's deliberately left open to interpretation to confuse.
The defining point should not be put to customs as they want you to do what they tell you.
The delivery company can tighten the pivot for you so opening with one hand can't be done.
Also for more accurate information from legal experts post on britishblades they also have australian members , there hasn't been one question asked that they can't answer.
noobknife

Post by noobknife »

Bladekeeper wrote:The law is similar to the uk law on flick/gravity knives that is the crux it's deliberately left open to interpretation to confuse.
The defining point should not be put to customs as they want you to do what they tell you.
The delivery company can tighten the pivot for you so opening with one hand can't be done.
Also for more accurate information from legal experts post on britishblades they also have australian members , there hasn't been one question asked that they can't answer.
I will check that out, thanks for the reference. Although I don't hold much hope anymore as when I spoke to United states companies thay said they had already been tightening and customs had cottoned onto that. The last time I spoke to customs they also said they don't care if it flick or one hande opening as they are lumping them into one category and if it can be opened with one hand it will be confiscated.
I also spoke to three major knife importers in Australia and they can't get approval. There is a really good Australian ebay importer who went through all the right channels, ministers and had written cinfirmation from customs that he could import them and they still confiscated and won't admit there wrong and he is now taking them to court, unbelievable! Even when you do the right thing customs says your wrong, go figure. Unless you get them sent in parts or take pot luck I think they are the only avenues I can take. This all changed when our non-elected prime minister made a stupid promise which brought about this change, it's all f*$#ed!
I've tried everything I can think of so will check out your recommendation. Thanks.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Here in the states we lost our right to newly manufactured machine guns in 1986. So all the machine guns available to civilians are manufactured before that date. Now folks are selling m16 rifles for 30 times their original purchase price.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

OBJ Viking wrote:....disregard my suggestion, apparently NZ is just as bad. A guy here recommends "running shoes" for self defense. :rolleyes:
Just to clarify we don't recognize Australia's dumb laws :p , we do have our own regarding importation of knives, manual folding blades under 10cm are not subject to any restriction. There are certain restrictions on automatics, double edged daggers and the like which are only obtainable with an import permit, the hard part is actually getting them out of the country of origin.

As for carrying, the official wording is vague and leads itself to consideration on a case by case basis. I would argue that my folding blade knife is not in fact a "weapon", but a tool. "Self defence" is not considered a reasonable excuse and will get your knife taken with charges to boot, most of the time good shoes are indeed your best defence/exit from a hostile situation.
In New Zealand it is an offence to possess a weapon in a public place without reasonable excuse, under the Summary Offences Act 1981 and the Crimes Act 1961 section 202A(4)(a).
I see, said the blind man.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

To add to w3tnz post...

A SAK, or any folder brand for that matter, carried in your pocket is fine, and not a weapon..
But get into a fist fight, and the SAK is IMMEDIATELY a weapon, even if it remains in your pocket the whole of the fist fight...
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

It is all about context...
Here is something I posted on britishblades.com and few weeks back...

First off, I am not a survival expert, but I can survive, given the opportunity and mindset, and hopefully some tools…
The following words might lack coherence of thought, but I am venting in a way…

The New Zealand earthquake of 4 February 2011 raised a lot of questions on my mind.

The scenario:-

The media showed hour after hour of buildings and parts of buildings falling down, dust everywhere, and people covered in rubble and dust, running in every direction, mostly crying. Not a happy situation.

The power went off as cables stretched and broke, and overhead power lines clashed and shorted out. Transformer sub-stations sunk almost to the road level, and liquefaction mud rose up and clogged roads and private property, so that 4X4s were needed to get along the road side. Telephone cables went the same way. Cell phone towers had batteries which were dying without power, and SMS texting was allowed, until the tower batteries died...so information about what was actually happening was denied in the environs of Christchurch...

And of course, houses were twisted and cracked, cars drowned in mud, and even though it was around midday, mayhem ensued.

And people died…

The media showed men with bloody hands, lifting broken rubble off cars, busses and bodies. Police trying to shepherd dusty and shocked people to safety. The Army blocking roads to stop people with vehicles driving into holes big enough for busses.
And more than just chance, the NZ Navy were in Lyttleton Port, and helped out as the hill began slide down in places and destroy homes and businesses.

Meals were left in cafes half eaten, and people left shops with their “purchases” unpaid for as they ran out in what appeared to be the end of the world.

The days dragged on, with aftershocks destroying more property, and more people died. All told…185…DNA investigation was used to make the final tally…

Most people panicked and helter skelter was the name of the game…
The safest place to run to? No one knew, and that place could be the next to fall down. The police did their damndest to assist, but they were just as blind as the punters.

Help was flown in from all over the world, even though Christchurch airport did not know if their runways would be safe to use once the planes landed…The Rescue lads and ladies are heroes in my book…

Looters came out of the woodwork, and did what they did best, and most were caught…one lucky bloke walked into two Aussie cop’s fists when he was apprehended…

The questions I referred to earlier?

When the custard hit the fan on the 4th February 2011, normal people that had tools, used them…chisels, hammers, and yes, even knives…and no one was arrested for using knives in emergency use, not one…I checked…People shared water bottles, because the water supply was not safe to drink, shops opened their drinks fridges and handed out all sorts of liquids for free…even food of all sorts…more heroes, and I am not stretching out the meaning of the word.

The only time fisticuffs almost came into play, was the belligerent and drunks trying to assert their “right of way”, and the cops used pepper spray to alter the frame of mind, well deserved I would agree…

When the water came back on, boiling was recommended, and portaloos were placed just about everywhere, as sewerage pipes had cracked.

Somehow, people shared stuff, grief, and help was forthcoming almost as soon as the dust tried to settle…

There are still people this very day living in homes with cracks in walls and ceilings and rooves…until insurance pays out, and rebuilding takes place…

They have power, phone and water, and of course sewerage pipes back in order…

There are aftershocks every day, most unfelt, and every now and then we get a knock or two, and a cup slides off the table into fragments…

Life goes on, and hopefully we have learned how to deal with calamities in general, because the most unlikeliest people stepped up to the crease, and batted like stars…
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

If i had to choose between the rest of those, and I had to pick one, it be the delica. Great size, and its really a legendary spyderco. No collection is complete without a cheap run of the mill delica. Then I'd say Manix 2 and the Caly. I think then you have a very nice Spyderco collection.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
MyImportLabel
Location: Building A, 1015, Gate 4, 80-120 Meiers Road, Indooroopilly, Queensland 4068 Australia

Post by MyImportLabel »

It's too bad of what happened to you. I read the comments here, this are all very helpful to you, all you need to do now is to pick which comment is the best that can help your problem. Only one thing I remind you that importing illegal products are really bad.

Import to Australia
endgame

Post by endgame »

I would just bail till the laws change.you're going to lose allot of money and knives from customes and this will Just get you angry.the only way I can think of getting them to you is sending a couple pieces at a time but this is very costly and remember smuggling is smuggling. This would be considered weapons smuggling wich could mean jailtime.you will have to find ones that are allready in you're country.there was a member from Australia here who makes custome knives with the spyderco hole not a spyderco but as close as you might get. Also theft are sweet looking knives.I love spydercos two but smuggling is just not worth it.I feel real bad for you aussies and Brits but there is nothing you can do about it.good luck bro.if you try to get them in be carefully and smart only trust youreself.look up the post of the custom knife maker who got saps permission to use the hole something you can get we cant for now.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

In my opinion, the next knife on the list should be the Manix 2, I was unsure about the CBBL as well, but unless you intend to spine wack the #$*% out of the knife this should be more than adequate for some fairly heavy use. This is one I was not really in love with at first, but keeps finding it's way into the pocket. And as far as your other question, Yes you should get another PM2 if available asap...there is no way this will do anything but increase in value as they become harder to find in your country. I would also suggest a Delica; this is a great bargain, and for a lightweight knife for the office, or out for a jog, this is hard to beat.

Finally...please do not buy a tenacious for $75, I can't justify a Chinese folder for that cost (although this knife made me a spyderco addict).
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Of all the countries in the world where a pocket knife would be *extremely useful* to have, Australia would be near the top of my list. You guys have way too many poisonous creatures down there that you need to defend yourself from... :cool:

It is a shame that you can't carry the tools you need for every day life.

TedP
endgame

Post by endgame »

+1 phillip there is just so many dangerous things there it just makes no sence that a small pocket knife be outlawed.they just don't want you to be able to protect youreself.the police cant be everywhere.if you have to call themnits most likely to late.get as many manix2 pm-2 and dragonflies you can get. With the prices there they would be a good investmant. Even f you don't sell them you have backups.
Senate

Post by Senate »

noobknife wrote: sage 4,
sage 3
manix 2
delica
chapparral
caly 3 or 3.5
gayle bradley air
Should I get any these considering the knives I've got? And if so which ones in what order?
bradley air because it's such a fantastic little bug
delica4 FFG in ZDP189
manix2, the pocket tank
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978