Any Radio Activity/ Radiation coming off SEKI-City Spyderco steel ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A head on car accident is far more likely

Post by JD Spydo »

It is a somewhat interesting question but I seriously doubt if your Spyderco pocket knife has any problems at all. With all the scrutiny that the US Postal system has in place since 9-11 I seriously doubt if much gets by them dealing with dangerous items shipped from foreign countries.

Brother Spyderwa who just chimed in wouldn't have gone to Japan if he thought there was even a remote chance of being comtaninated with radioactive compounds. Personally I think your chances of having a head-on car accident in the near future far exceed any possible radiation problems from Spyderco knives shipped from Japan>> and those odds are very high odds indeed>> the odds aren't zero but they are way out there in the 7 to 8 digit category so I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. I'm sure Spyderco themselves covered those bases long ago right after the disaster occurred.

Personally I'm far more fearful of the New Madrid earthquake fault here in Missouri than I am in concern of any of Spyderco's Japan imports. I think the New Madrid Fault poses much more potential danger for all of us here in the USA than any Japanese imports. I'm 99.9999% certain that your Delica is safe.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

My new Sony TV glows like crazy when I turn it on. Should I be worried????
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Just in case this might be a problem, I used my Spyderco to make myself some tin-foil underwear...

(for the sake of decency, I only included a picture of my hat...)

TedP
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

razorsharp wrote:I facepalmed when I read the title
This. So hard I almost broke my own nose.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I guess I have more important to things to worry about like ....What's for lunch?, The state our country is in, etc.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

v8r wrote:I guess I have more important to things to worry about like ....What's for lunch?, The state our country is in, etc.
For sure.

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.c ... FdkDVGMWSo

Cars, stairs, alcohol abuse, heart disease, even bee attacks vastly outnumber radiation fatalities.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

My geiger counter says a banana has more radiation than my orange delica.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SolidState wrote:My geiger counter says a banana has more radiation than my orange delica.
Is that a Seki City banana or Golden, CO?
All God's critters have knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think that is why my Endura is cutting so well. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

This thread gets my vote as funniest ever on this forum. Classic. Ted P's post about killed me. My risk here is not radiation but peeing my pants from laughing at some of the comments.

As an aside, what Spyderco would the "Toxic Avenger" carry? Thoughts? I'm saying the toxic green Catcherman.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

You know, just sleeping next to someone gives you radiation..
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Isn't there radiation emitted from a computer monitor and/or cel phone?
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

I live in Tokyo and have used a geiger counter at work to test things (car exports). I have found a couple of cars that came from the Fukushima area that were over the acceptable limits for export, but were still at such a low level of radiation that they could be registered here in Japan and used with no problems.

So far, I have not had any problems with radiation..........the G10 spacer on all Technos glows in the dark like mine does......right!!??
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IceCold wrote:I just got my first MAde in Japan Delica 4. And I have a concern if it is emitting even a small amount of Radiation ?

As you all know, There were 4 Chernobyl Nuclear Meltdowns in Japan at Fukushima Daiachi its been pretty much kept quiet in respect to the huge deal that is made out of Chernobyl here we had 4 just a big each and its not spoken of.

SEKi-City Japan is not that far from Fukushima. And everything for 100 miles from Fukushima is pretty much radio active.

I don't want to have any lasting health problems or worse my kids to be affected. :eek:

Especially for EDC in my pocket very close to my crotch.
IceCold wrote:you never know I'd better be on the safe side and just give this thing away.
play it safe with a usa made para 2
You are right. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't play with Para2. I read that some radiation reached US soil
ChaoticLuck wrote: cut myself with dragonfly last week, no super powers though. Tried flying, I just plopped.
Do not give up. Try harder next time. sufficient amount of sake will help, which can be substituted with any good buzz.
JNewell wrote:My new Sony TV glows like crazy when I turn it on. Should I be worried????
You are doomed. But you condition can be improving, if you send to me all your staff which has spyderholes :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Well, December 21 is not too far off...I guess radiation won't affect you before the apocalypse. ;)
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

IceCold wrote:I just got my first MAde in Japan Delica 4. And I have a concern if it is emitting even a small amount of Radiation ?

As you all know, There were 4 Chernobyl Nuclear Meltdowns in Japan at Fukushima Daiachi its been pretty much kept quiet in respect to the huge deal that is made out of Chernobyl here we had 4 just a big each and its not spoken of.

SEKi-City Japan is not that far from Fukushima. And everything for 100 miles from Fukushima is pretty much radio active.

I don't want to have any lasting health problems or worse my kids to be affected. :eek:

Especially for EDC in my pocket very close to my crotch.

I feared all the conspiracy theorist had fled earth. I'm glad to hear we still have a few representatives among us. Seriously...you are fearing a radioactive knife. That is quite a tail. Instead of posting amongst this non-highly scientific group of radiologists, how about getting a geiger counter or
taking it to an expert to have it checked out. Just because it came from Japan doesn't make it anymore radioactive that the products made in Golden, Colorado... Did you know the first nuclear explosion test were performed in the U.S.... in the West no less. Aren't you concerned about everything you around you being highly radio active?

Too funny! I love these posts!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

What would life on the forum be like without a few of these types of posts, dare I say a little ... dull.

Keeps it fun if the lint in your pocket starts to glow once in a while.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ice Cold, you tried this one some time back under a different name, eh? You got offended and had a fit and left us. What brought you back with the same question Mr. Chernobyl? http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... tion+japan

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

first, NO, even if you took the fukushima daiichi reacttors (of which 3 melted down, not 4), and added them together it would be no where, NO WHERE near the size of the disaster of Chernobyl. Some reports say as much as 1/5, some as little as 1/10th the amount of radiation was released at Fukishima V. Chernobyl. Next, where are you getting that 100 miles is radioactive around the plant? Actually NO distance remains radioactive, the radiation leak was environmental, and has dissipated. (in fact 12 miles around the plant was all that was originally quarrantined, so dont know where you got 100 miles...)
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

National Safety Council Odds of Dying in the U.S.

Type of Accident or Manner of Injury: Unintentional - Exposure to Radiation
Deaths in 2004: 0
Odds of Death in Any Given Year: N/A
Odds of Death in Lifetime: N/A
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...