Any Radio Activity/ Radiation coming off SEKI-City Spyderco steel ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow so THIS is where my second head originated from. I never would've guessed.

When the whole Japan nuclear thing went down, one of the news stations went to Grand Central Terminal with a geiger counter and went around measuring random things. Did you know that the granite there registers enough radiation to make a person sick? And yet 700k people go through there everyday and don't die.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just adore the classic, "I hope my knife isn't radioactive!" when thousands of people died or are suffering Hurricane Katrina type loss.

Keep going, you're almost to Empathy Level 2!
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

This thread prompted me to phone many radiation experts to ascertain their opinion on Seki steel radiation. The consensus is that there is none. None. But now I've got a tumor for using my cellphone overtime to make those calls.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

The original thread title is "Any Radio Activity / Radiation coming of SEKI-City Spyderco steel?"

While so many have focused on the "radioactivity" or radiation aspect, I took my knives into a very quiet room and picked up, (very faintly), 4 local FM stations, 2 AM stations, and even a shortwave broadcast that keep coming and going....so Yes there is "Radio Activity" in the SEKI-City Spyderco steel. ;)
I am one of the 0.45%.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:Wow so THIS is where my second head originated from. I never would've guessed.

When the whole Japan nuclear thing went down, one of the news stations went to Grand Central Terminal with a geiger counter and went around measuring random things. Did you know that the granite there registers enough radiation to make a person sick? And yet 700k people go through there everyday and don't die.
There are some camera lenses that were made, years ago, with radioactive glass. :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:There are some camera lenses that were made, years ago, with radioactive glass. :eek:
The stuff they put on watch hands that glows...you guessed it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

****! My night sights are trits...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:The stuff they put on watch hands that glows...you guessed it.
The old tritium, yes - the new lume is not...
chuck_roxas45 wrote:****! My night sights are trits...
Tritium gas, absolutely zero, no, nada risk in that quantity and form. :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:The old tritium, yes - the new lume is not...

Aww I was kinda hoping to develop superpowers there....
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Blerv wrote:I just adore the classic, "I hope my knife isn't radioactive!" when thousands of people died or are suffering Hurricane Katrina type loss.

Keep going, you're almost to Empathy Level 2!
I agree with Blerv and feel a little bad jesting at the Ops comments now. Blerv: You raise a very good point. It was a very sad event and we shouldn't lose sight of that. Thank you for reminding us of the bigger picture here.

In all seriousness (from my prior post), I think we can all be rest assured there is no radioactivity associated with these knives and if you are concerned, there are rather easy tests you can have performed. But we face low levels of radiation throughout our daily lives.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I eat food out of a Microwave, I'm not worried about a Seki city knife.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

OP now called Ice cold,Essentially, if you're really concerned why haven't you had one tested yet?You have had lots of time since your last attempt at this thread. You have known the answer all along and that makes me wonder why you have attempted a second post about this here?

Why haven't you responded lately? Feelings hurt again?

Sea slug pods lurking around waiting for you to fall asleep?

What gives?

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

The Mastiff wrote:Ice Cold, you tried this one some time back under a different name, eh? You got offended and had a fit and left us. What brought you back with the same question Mr. Chernobyl? http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... tion+japan

Joe
Let this be a lesson to all.... never, EVER try to sneak past a Mastiff!
Especially a radioactive one, Spyderco's backyard has more than adequate protection. :D
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The radio activity on my spydercos is pretty poor I can't even pick up the local stations I'm waiting for Sal to design an mp3 player in the military
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

JNewell wrote:The old tritium, yes - the new lume is not...

I see a watch geek lurking in that post.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Just open an close a few thousand times and any radiation left after the heat treat should be gone. If it remains, the heat treatment is at fault. Send it across to me for further testing :D

For those who are getting radio channels, what bevels do you use?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I free hand sharpen so I guess it's semi convex after awhile but I aim for low angles. So I'm guessing about 15 or less per side also my knives were Radio Active before the incident
angusW

Post by angusW »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:My endura glows in the dark.... :p
I have a Manix 2 that glows in the dark. Really :)
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

angusW wrote:I have a Manix 2 that glows in the dark. Really :)

Hehehe.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Hopefully the OP, Icecold, has not been chided into silence. Learning something you weren't aware of before is a good thing :) I would encourage IceCold to take the chiding for what it is, guys busting another guys b**** :eek: Like radiation it's a phenomena that exists ;)

Like Mastiff I would encourage the OP to reply and continue to learn :) Learning is always a good thing :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]