Poll: Larger Kiwi clip vs. no clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to have a clip on the new Larger Kiwi? If yes, please specify type.

Wire clip
67%
Regular stainless steel clip
2%
Other clip
No votes
No clip
31%

Total votes: 42

captnvegtble

Poll: Larger Kiwi clip vs. no clip

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:Open for discussion. The original didn't have a clip. the clip also adds to cost. I'd have to check, but we may still be early enough in the production queu to add a clip. Style? Yes or no?

sal
I thought I'd start another thread for Sal to poll and asked about a possible clip and style on the new Larger Kiwi in production currently. My vote is for a wire cliped version of the Kiwi.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

For those who are not up to date on the current discussion, there is a link below to the other thread. It looks like what is currently being developed is a FFG, G-10, non-notched (smooth spine) version of the Kiwi.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... arger-Kiwi
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I voted no clip...but really it depends. If they can put a clip on that looks good, then ok. But they have really made a mess of a few knife/clip combos recently...so I don't know. I would rather see no clip than something that looks like crap and doesn't suit the knife (Valloton and Techno are PRIME examples of this)
On the hunt for...
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I love :spyder: ´s wire clips but this knife sounds like a perfect pouch carry option to use it with all the care the (hopfully very) delicate tip deserves.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Really depends. If the G-10 is going to be polished, like the red Sprint Run Persian's or textured like the Des Horn, then I'd hate to see it defaced with a clip. If it's going to be Spyderco's standard peel-ply G-10, then I suppose they might as well go all the way tactical/utilitarian and add a clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd definitely prefer it to have a clip, especially since it's going to be G10. If it were going to be the bolstered kind, i'd vote no clip. Wire clip would be nice for this model.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JLS

Post by JLS »

I had the slim little SS locking Kiwi with me at church today, as I always do when I dress up.

I voted no clip. I'm hoping it's slim with no liners and adding a clip would add a lot of bulk.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I like having the option of a clip. I can always remove it.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It seems it's going to have a G10 handle so a wire clip should be O.K. I can only hope it's going to be a burgundy G10.
Anyway I am in for a wire clip.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

This is very interesting.

It's like politics... we have some bipartisan clip-bickering going on.
WMR

Post by WMR »

If Spyderco could make a knife which, when the clip was removed, looks like a knife that never had a clip, it wouldn't matter. The PPT was close. But if it ends up looking like a new large Kiwi with the clip removed ( because I always remove the clip) then I probably won't buy one. If it is a no-clip knife, I'll own at least one.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

WMR wrote:If Spyderco could make a knife which, when the clip was removed, looks like a knife that never had a clip, it wouldn't matter. The PPT was close. But if it ends up looking like a new large Kiwi with the clip removed ( because I always remove the clip) then I probably won't buy one. If it is a no-clip knife, I'll own at least one.
I think that this is a very good idea...I'll take it one further and make it an ambi clip...

I actually have a few ideas floating around in my head about a clip design that would do this...
On the hunt for...
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Evil D wrote:I'd definitely prefer it to have a clip, especially since it's going to be G10. If it were going to be the bolstered kind, i'd vote no clip. Wire clip would be nice for this model.
My thoughts exactly.

Even with the wire clips removed, there isin't much in terms of looks taken away from the knife.

I for sure vote for the wire clip
VG-10

Post by VG-10 »

I voted for a wire clip.

I think a clip similar to the Kopas would be excellent also.

VG-10