C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12063
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby sal » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi Appler,

How many do you have? Are they all made by Klotzli? I don't know if you know it, but we made all of the blades for KLlotzli in Golden.

sal

tbdoc4kids
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Mission, KS

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby tbdoc4kids » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 pm

I thought Appler was just collecting information from pics on eBay. Man, I would love to have all of those he listed!

If blades were all made in Golden, were the handles and assembly done in Europe or Golden?

Interesting stuff. Thanks!

Appler
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:14 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Appler » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:50 am

Hey, Sal.

I, unfortunately, have only one. I managed a store for a now-shuttered mid-Atlantic mall cutlery chain and personally sold perhaps 12-15 of these when they were new, which was not a small feat given that they were almost $700 in todays dollars by the end of the run. But there was absolutely nothing like it at the time--without actually being in the knife business, there is just no way for the average person to understand how much of a leap this knife was for a "production" knife. There was nothing even close from any manufacturer. I was fascinated by it, but too broke to have one. I sold my father one, and one day years later it showed up in a package on my birthday. As the only knife Spyderco has produced that I am aware of where every one was serial numbered (maybe the original bone Horn?), the variations have obviously also fascinated me.

Thanks for always innovating.

Accutronman
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Accutronman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 am

#949, PS blade, matte scales, bug on clip, then U.S. patent info, then SWISSMADE. Blade has Spyderco, swissmade, then Walker

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12063
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby sal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Maybe it's time for a carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and an exotic steel?

sal

Supacede
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Supacede » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Man, Sal sure knows how to keep us biting!

infinkc
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby infinkc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 am

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm
Maybe it's time for a carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and an exotic steel?

sal
yes please.

Blade and Flame
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Blade and Flame » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm
Maybe it's time for a carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and an exotic steel?

sal
Now we are talking!

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5290
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Spydergirl88 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Dream knife absolutely
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

User avatar
timlara
Member
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby timlara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:36 pm

If we can keep it under $200 street price, I would be very interested.
Tim

Appler
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:14 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Appler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 am

Carbon fiber sprint with a wire clip and....Super Blue?!?! Count me in, baby. Hell, I'd take any steel, honestly. :-)

And it needs a brother with nice matte titanium scales that'll look so cool loved-up after 20 years of use. Like an old Sebenza.

Accutronman, thanks for the contribution!

User avatar
Archimedes
Member
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Nor Cal

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Archimedes » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:38 am

I would prefer a stainless steel. I am pretty much done buying any steel that rusts or Patinas on a folder.

infinkc
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby infinkc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:07 am

@Appler, do you have a full list compiled somewhere? Maybe this is something to have put into the wiki now that spyderco took over.

Accutronman
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Accutronman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.

Appler
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:14 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Appler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Hey, infinkc.

I had intended to let this get to a few more pages and then start a spreadsheet with all the variations. That's a good idea to transfer it over to the Wiki sometime.

The highest number I have seen is #1765, so there are at least that many out there. What we have documented here is just a drop in the bucket; I wonder where they all have settled? There weren't particularly "collectable" at the time (no Spyderco really was), so I wonder how many became users and were lost or forgotten about...

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Larry_Mott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am

Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Blade and Flame
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Blade and Flame » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 am

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Larry_Mott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Blade and Flame wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.
Agreed. Perhaps i misinterpreted Accutronman's post.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

Accutronman
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:44 am

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Accutronman » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Blade and Flame wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.
Exactly

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Postby Larry_Mott » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Accutronman wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Blade and Flame wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:16 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
Accutronman wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm
Full carbon fiber, not peel ply, rare steel, and make it a true collectible with the price reflecting the quality a la the original Jess Horn (C27) at $449.95.
Why not offer it at the actual price where it will land?
Perhaps i misunderstood you, but pricing a knife reflecting the quality of another model entirely (which i have heard had a clip that was a nightmare to produce, and attributed to the high cost of the C27) seems irrational and a less than great idea IMO.
'
I think that was the original sentiment. Make it a premium knife in honor of the original design/intent, and if it cost is high, so be it. At least that’s how I took it.
Exactly
Pleasde ignore my post then :) Sorry for getting you all wrong
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albatross, BelgiumRofls, Bing [Bot], Bruce Mack, Cambertree, ChrisinHove, Ratamaque and 26 guests