C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

Re: C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Post by weeping minora »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:14 pm
Just saw this thread. Hope this helps:

Shiny scales
Oval: SPYDERCO top, WALKER-KLOTZLI bottom. SWISS MADE ATS-34 in the middle.
With blade open and edge facing down, printing on clip is upside down. When right-side-up, it reads, at pivot end, top-to-bottom: US PATENT 4347865 FOREIGN PATS PEND. At other end: SWISSMADE.

This is one of my most-carried knives, and definitely my most-carried Spyderco. Haven't carried it seriously in years, however.

Very nice piece, Coastal.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

#455 is on ebay now

comboedge
matte scales
spyderco/walker on blade
swissmade on clip
Appler

Post by Appler »

That is a really nice one, Coastal. Very similar to my own, in fact! Thanks a bunch for contributing. I have actually been saving front/back pics of all the ones that I can. If you ever get a chance to post a back pic that would be awesome.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Many of the ones I see lately have already been documented, but a new specimen has popped up on fleabay

#1603 -- Glossy scales, no Klotzli on blade, P/S edge, large font engraving on blade, bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Another new specimen is up on fleabay...

#573 -- matte scales, no Klotzli on blade, P/S edge, large font engraving on blade, no bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Last edited by Appler on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

has anyone compiled this list? i have a couple that i need to add also
Appler

Post by Appler »

Another new specimen on ebay...

#664 -- matte scales, no Klotzli on blade, plainedge, large font engraving on blade, no bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Another first appearance..

#1586 -- glossy scales, no klotzli on blade, p/s edge, large font engraving on blade, bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

#980 -- matte scales, no Klotzli on blade, p/s edge, large font engraving on blade, bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Interesting variant just popped up on ebay. It is the very first time I have run across a version that has no number on the blade. Additionally, it appears that the "engraving" on the blade isn't engraving at all--more of the "printed" style that reminds me of what was used on some Militaries. I haven't seen this before, either. This is weird specimen. I'd love to know more about it if anyone knows.

no number -- plainedge, glossy scales, no klotzli on the blade, different "engraving" technique, bug on clip, clip engraving is right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Currently at Arizona Custom Knives:

#1003 -- matte scales, no Klotzli on blade, p/s edge, large font engraving, bug on clip, clip engraving right side up.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Couple of new specimens to add...getting close to 100...

#1524 -- Gloss scales, no Klotzli, p/s edge, large font engraving, bug on clip, clip engraving right side up

#767 -- matte scales, no Klotzli, plainedge, large font engraving, no bug on clip, clip engraving right side up

#625 -- matte scales, no Klotzli, plainedge, large font engraving, no bug on clip, clip engraving right side up

#1028 -- matte scales, no Klotzli, p/s edge, large font engraving, no bug on clip, clip engraving right side up
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Appler,

Nice finds. Your dedication is inspiring.

The project with HP Klotzli was a long and twisting trail with many changes. Eventually, after many runs, we ended up making the model in Japan. It might be nice to have a history of the Michael Walker, HP Klotzli and Spyderco collaboration. You write it and we'll publish it.

It was HP's idea to do the project. It was the first model with carbon Fiber, which came from the Sauber Formula one racing team. Michael Walker designed 3rd generation Titanium lock & liners & clip. The model was a classic design project with dedicated participants.

sal
Appler

Post by Appler »

Thanks, Sal. I might just take you up on that. All that had to come together to make this one production knife is probably nothing short of amazing. Lightning in a bottle, as they say. I think it would make a great story.

Unless you worked at a knife store in the 1990’s (which I did) it is hard to comprehend how ambitious this knife was... for a custom, let alone a production knife. Even in a time of thrilling advancements in the production knife industry from all the great companies, when every week brought some awesome new innovation or custom collab, when this knife showed up at the store at $399 (later raised to $449, +/-$850 in today’s bucks) we were completely blown away. There was nothing that looked like it, felt like it, sounded like it, and nothing even close to the quality of the cutting edge (sorry…) materials and workmanship, even Klotzli’s other stuff. Blued titanium nested linerlock with proprietary titanium hardware and ATS-34…are you kidding me? It seemed to us like Michael Walker, HP Klotzli and Spyderco were all just having fun pushing the edges out as far as they could, and showing the world the best they could do.

To my knowledge this knife didn’t share so much as a screw with any other knife. You could put this knife out today with a newer steel and there is nothing about it that would look or feel old. It was literally the coolest thing I had ever seen.

The McLaren F1 has a registry. This is the McLaren F1 of the knife world.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Hi Tom:

I second everything you say and have been saying since 2012. That’s dedication! And dedication is what Spyderco has been about for the last 48+ years. Not only pushing the envelope but creating their own and then breaking through, improving upon their own innovations, and moving industry standards forward. CQI is their motto that started by looking at what custom knife makers were doing and then figuring out how to manufacture their designs and bring them to a larger audience. One can only imagine what Spyderco’s maker in Taichung could do with this knife today (or a second version) utilizing all of the advancements in CNC machining in the past thirty year interim and their über level of craftsmanship.

brian
Appler

Post by Appler »

Thanks, Brian.

Missed you at the Oregon Show this year. Hope you and Catherine are well. Will try to stop by on our next trip back east. :crossed-fingers