That Chaparral pivot sound

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

That Chaparral pivot sound

Post by dj moonbat »

There were quite a few who commented that their Chaparrals made a sound on open/closing, which some described as "gritty." Although that sound lessened significantly for me after maybe a day, it never went away entirely.

This morning, though, I really cleaned it but good, and the sound still wasn't gone. There was certainly no grit.

I think the culprit was a very, very fine burr on the "TAICHUN TAIWAN" engraving on the tang. After a dozen or so swipes across that area with my UF Sharpmaker rod, the sound is completely gone.

I make no representations or warranties that this procedure will work for you. But if you still have that sound, and wish you didn't, it's worth a try. You could even try the "SPYDERCO CPM S30V" side of the tang, if that doesn't work.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
DaHolla

Post by DaHolla »

That did the trick. Thank you!
“Pain or damage don’t end the world. Or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man… and give some back.” Al Swearengen-Deadwood
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I'm using a UF stone on the tangs on a couple of knives to smooth out the action too. I've noticed on some Moki-built models (pin construction, no washers) that I can improve their opening by taking out the blade, cleaning off any remaining buffing compound in the locking components, and then lap the blade tang.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
donutsrule

Sweet!

Post by donutsrule »

Thank you so much for this easy yet effective tip. My no-longer-"gritty" Chaparral thanks you, too. :D

Took a few dozen swipes on each side to make it perfect, but I could tell it was working way before that.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I thought I had figured out what the problem was but now I think I was wrong. The sound on mine had gone away a long time ago. The Chaparral still wasn't the smoothest pivoting knife I've had but I would never would have noticed it if it were brand new like it is now. Even so I used my UF rod on the engraving and now it IS a little smoother. It's like one of those things you don't notice until it's gone.

So I'll add my thanks to the other guy's.

Jack
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Hey, cool! I've borrowed/stolen so many good ideas from this forum; it's good to know I was actually able to give one back.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis