Initials on Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jnichols2

Initials on Blade

Post by jnichols2 »

When I received my latest two knives I was pleased to see Sal's initials on my Cly 3.5 CF ZDP-189.

I now have 8 Spidies, and the Caly is the only one with initials.

Do only certain models have initials? Do the initials make it more valuable?
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
rycen

Post by rycen »

The initials are Sal's (President) and Eric's (Sal's Son).The initials are only on models they individually or collaboratively design.The initials don't add any value as they are on every model they design. An example where both their initials are found on the same knife would be the Paramilitary 2.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Actually, that's good because I want to get it out of the box and start carrying it.

The Caly 3.5 sits in my pocket very much like the Delica I always carry. It opens up to be almost like the Endura that's a little large in my pocket for EDC. With the Caly 3.5 I get the small carry AND the longer blade.

I know the soft and shiny 420J2 lamination on the ZDP-189 blade is going to scratch. I'll just have to say "It's a Knife", it has scratches. I didn't buy it as a "Safe Queen", I bought it to use. Besides, my VG-10 Delica has scratches too.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

jnichols2 wrote:...I know the soft and shiny 420J2 lamination on the ZDP-189 blade is going to scratch. I'll just have to say "It's a Knife", it has scratches. I didn't buy it as a "Safe Queen", I bought it to use. Besides, my VG-10 Delica has scratches too.
The soft 420 steel has an advantage, in that it's easy to polish out those scratches again. I have a 'spare' Caly 3 in ZDP189/420 that's become a utility knife in our kitchen drawer. It sees all kinds of use and doesn't get the care that my normal folders get. About a month or so ago I decided that after a year or ao, it was about time to clean it up. I washed off the glue residue and dirt (even sand from our yard). I took a bit of 'super polish' (brand name, I got it from AG Russel) and the blade cleaned up real well. I also took a bit of the bug logo (just the edges), but otherwise the blade cleaned up nicely. The scratches in the 420 steel are gone and the tarnished color from the ZDP is gone to. It's shines a bit more than a new-in-box ZDP caly 3. I imagine Flitz or a comparable bladepolish will work well too.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

This didn't seem TOO old to resurrect, LOL. I have noted the Stretch pictured here on the catalog page has no mark from Sal. I've just acquired a twin that does. Does it indicate it's age, or just that some were marked and some not? :)
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.
Clip

Post by Clip »

The catalog pictures aren't always 100% accurate, some models have prototypes pictured, etc.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
VictorLouis

Post by VictorLouis »

Thanks!
Stretch VG10 FRN, Caly Jr. VG10 FRN.