New to Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cking

New to Spyderco

Post by cking »

First post. I have recently been intoduced to Spyderco knives and have purchase the Resilience. I have been a knife collector/hobbyists for awhile but have recently decided to get a little more serious about it.

I've read on the forums here that knock offs are becoming an issue and Im curious if ALL spyderco knives are made in the US? My resilience says Made in China on the blade, but my Manix 2 says made in Golden CO.

Just curious if my local Knife shop is unaware of a cheap copy.

Thank you very much!

C
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cking wrote:First post. I have recently been intoduced to Spyderco knives and have purchase the Resilience. I have been a knife collector/hobbyists for awhile but have recently decided to get a little more serious about it.

I've read on the forums here that knock offs are becoming an issue and Im curious if ALL spyderco knives are made in the US? My resilience says Made in China on the blade, but my Manix 2 says made in Golden CO.

Just curious if my local Knife shop is unaware of a cheap copy.

Thank you very much!

C
Spyderco currently produces knives in Golden CO, and has knives produced for them in Japan, Taiwan, China, and Italy. The Tenacious family of knives, of which your Resilience is part, are made for them in China and, AFAIK, there are no fake ones out there. If you go to the Online Catalog page, there's a drop down menu that allows you to view Spyderco products by country of origin.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

think you just answered your own question didnt you? you said it yourself your resilliance was made in china...

Deacon mentioned all the countries that have spyder factories in them. The best in my opionion is the factory in taichung taiwan, followed by golden, seki city, then italy. dont own any chinese knives...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum and Spyderco knives also. About the different countries all of them do a great job. If they didn't they wouldn't be making Spyderco knives. The standard the company has is very high. "Made In China" used to be an insult and still is sometimes but not with Spyderco knives and a lot of other products I bet. The Taiwan knives are of VERY high quality. Most of my favorites are made there. Golden makes some great knives also of course.

It seems benefits of being made in different countries is having some of the blade steels at a reasonable price or even at all. I've used the Persistance knife which is a smaller version of yours I think and it is a very nice knife. I'm sure you will enjoy yours and it will give you years of service.

All of the above is my opinion but I have no real knowledge of the reasons each factory is chosed. It seems to get complicated.

Welcome again.

Jack
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Welcome to the forum hope your enjoying your new :spyder: !
I see, said the blind man.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Welcome to the Forum, cking!

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, Cking. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cking,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums :)

Best way to avoid fakes is to buy from reputable dealers (any of them). Often you can get a cheaper deal than on places like eBay.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forums. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!