Manix 2 lock problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ddop6

Manix 2 lock problem

Post by ddop6 »

Hey guys, i got my manix 2 (G-10 stonewashed) and the lock is HARD to disengage and sticks alot, Would replacing the spring with a pen spring help? (I know it voids warranty) or should i let it wear in?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would let it wear in. I don't think a pen spring would be the alternative I would try if I was in a mood to tinker. Before you attempt to swap parts, maybe you should try to "slick-up" the ones you have. Try to polish the ball-bearing engagement area in the rear of the blade tang first. This can be accomplished without disassembly so that will keep your warranty in check.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Let it wear in.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

If its not better by the end of this week, ill have to send it back :/
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

As mentioned already, LET IT WEAR. Please do not do anything to your Manix. When I got mine, it took 5 days with around 100 openings a day. The knife takes a while to wear in, so be patient and just open and close. Repeat many times.
jer

Post by jer »

My guess is that the spring is not likely the problem. Based on my experience, what you may be dealing with is friction between the G-10 scales and the polymer cage. As suggested, this should decrease overtime with use. You could to try using a dry lube where the cage interfaces the handle cut out to see if it improves.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've had my Manix 2 for ~2 weeks. I don't have the friction problem but the spring is really frickin strong. So far no sign of lightening up. Certainly swapping the spring out with a spring from a pen is about the worst thing you could do. Disassembling and shortening the spring by a turn or two would be a saner thing to do. But don't do anything, I'm sure it will eventually settle in. And it's not like you can't operate the knife in the meantime, right?
All God's critters have knives.
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

It can operate, but it is a pain in the ***, haha. I'll keep opening and closing it. Thanks guys!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Let it wear in.

My opinion is if you do anything to make it looser in a shorter period of time, the next thing that'll be an issue is that the lock engagement is too loose too soon.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
MisterJeff

Post by MisterJeff »

It'll loosen up over time. Mine felt pretty ridiculous at first, too. I played with it constantly. Opening, closing, opening, closing all day long, and it was noticeably better within a few days. It feels great now.
Sage 1 Manix2 XL, Endura4, Pacific Salt, Tenacious, Dragonfly2 Salt, Ladybug
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lube it and break it in. There are moving parts creating friction...you need to focus on lessening the friction. Changing the spring is a terrible idea..that spring is what makes the lock secure.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

i can feel it wearing in, but it still sticks alot.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It will likely always be a two finger knife to close, often a two handed closer. The spring is stiff and there is some initial friction.

You might be able to send it in for an adjustment. For me, I just deal with the nuances of that type of lock. Never had to quickly unlock and close a knife so it's a moot topic really.