Round hole and stud the best opener

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Depends on the automatic style, a mikov(what I consider a real switch blade!) or a Dual Action bolster release, I would but a switch based automatic or a spring assisted has a chance of going off in your pocket(i got a nice little mark from a Dalton Cupid) . They are mainly built for self defense and come with saftey to prevent pocket gashing but when the time comes, you don't plan on asking the attacker to wait a bit for the safety. I prefer any form of OTP(out the pocket) its easier and flashier, and if needed, could be opened regularly around the skiddish.

I usually rig most of my thumbstud based knives (using some light sanding) to catch my pocket lip or put zipties on my spyders, fastest way out, classy as ****, and can be opened discreetly or quickly depending on situation.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

IMHO, a properly designed folder with a Hole opener, round or otherwise, offers the best combination of reliability, and ease of use. Like everything else, proper design coupled with proper use is the key but a hole can't break off or unscrew and fall off and it doesn't rely on something external, like the edge of your pocket, behaving as expected.

Of course a well made fixed blade will be even more reliable and I've never yet been anywhere that came even close to being "the middle of nowhere" that carrying a folder would be legal but carrying a fixed blade would not.

That said, for maximum cool factor, sheer fun, and absolute ease of opening and closing, my Ultratech is hard to beat :o :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

Can't exactly spydie flick a thumb stud knife ? I much prefer manuals and knives with the spyderhole. Even though where I currently reside, switchblade are legal to own and carry (Lithuania), I still do not like them. To me, it is just a gimmick. Also, I dont like the fact that SB's always have more play than manuals. These reasons as well the reasons op mentioned is why I prefer manuals. P.S, my Manix 2 flies out as fast as an auto ;)
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I love the hole in the blade design. Honestly thats what initially made me look into Spyderco, i thought it looks really cool and had no idea on how much easier it made it to deploy the blade. I think the more you play/fondle your spydies (like practice opening and grips), the more "second nature" it becomes...making it easier to deploy without putting much thought into it in high-stress situations.

With that being said, i DO EDC my Citadel and it honestly is one of my favorites. The weight is not an issue and the width in pocket was the only downside. I don t have any problem with lint or debris piling up in the pivot or anything, but if i did, i would just clean it out like i do to all my spydies. Its a good blade size (83mm) and has handled every situation i have thrown at it flawlessly (i cut up an apple yesterday morning for breakfast :) )

I dont think anyone can wholeheartedly argue that pressing a button isnt easier than flicking a hole/stud in a high stress situation (or any situation for that matter). Also as another member said, (i think Blev) with an auto, you dont have to adjust your grip as much as you do with standard thumb deployment. Yes autos may have more internal parts etc. but when the time comes to really need it, im sure autos have a less chance of "fumbling".
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Deacon wrote:Of course a well made fixed blade will be even more reliable and I've never yet been anywhere that came even close to being "the middle of nowhere" that carrying a folder would be legal but carrying a fixed blade would not.
As far as I can tell, all fixed blades are illegal to carry here, but folders up to 4" are ok. So, I can legally carry a Military, but not a Street Beat. :confused:
:bug-red-white
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

tautisg1 wrote:Can't exactly spydie flick a thumb stud knife ?
That's kind of the point tho, I love flicking open my Spydies, but not once have I felt compelled to flick my CRK, its always a silky smooth controlled thumb open. I think as long as the opening is effective given the application there is no universal answer for the "best" method.
I see, said the blind man.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

w3tnz wrote:
tautisg1 wrote:Can't exactly spydie flick a thumb stud knife ? I much prefer manuals and knives with the spyderhole.
That's kind of the point tho, I love flicking open my Spydies, but not once have I felt compelled to flick my CRK, its always a silky smooth controlled thumb open. I think as long as the opening is effective given the application there is no universal answer for the "best" method.
OTOH, some folks prefer to have multiple opening options, because what's "best" is not always a constant.
Paul
APS

Post by APS »

While I'd love to have a quality automatic, I wouldn't carry it over one of my spydies for edc. Unless it was carried in a sheath I wouldn't trust that there wouldn't be an unintended opening, and carrying in a sheath or carrying with the safety engaged kind of goes against the reason for carrying a fast opening knife in the first place.
Thumb stud vs. hole, I've had a benchmade and a crk open when I didn't want them to so enough of that. I stick with spydie holes.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

PARATOM wrote:
I dont think anyone can wholeheartedly argue that pressing a button isnt easier than flicking a hole/stud in a high stress situation (or any situation for that matter). Also as another member said, (i think Blev) with an auto, you dont have to adjust your grip as much as you do with standard thumb deployment. Yes autos may have more internal parts etc. but when the time comes to really need it, im sure autos have a less chance of "fumbling".
actually what he said was you STILL have to re adjust your grip with autos except for otf models. Personally I find it quite easy to argue against a push button automatic v. traditional methods. And reading earlier posts, I see I am in the majority. -- I use my middle finger, behind the blade, to flick the spydie hole open (and once open, i truly do not have to adjust my grip using this method, I just close my hand around the knife) I also think the added "kick" of a automatic knife hitting the stop pin, could cause you to drop the knife in a stressfull situation. I have had my benchmaded emmisary FLY out of my hand when deployed (I felt I had a pretty good grip too... that knife being so light with such a powerful spring, "kicks" like a mule).

I think of knives as tools, and if Im ever in a situation where I am pulling a knife for defense Im already having a pretty bad day, because that means the 15 rounds of .45 acp I typically depend on for SD has failed to stop whatever the threat is...

A fixed blade is ideal, next id take a waved knife, my endura has never failed to open just as fast as I can pull it out (in fact I have to really try NOT to open it when I pull it out and dont want to use the wave)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

They're still fun to carry, but I'd never feel safe carrying a push button automatic with the safety off, and having it on makes them slower than molasses in January. However, for some reason, I'm about as confident that my slide button OTF autos will stay closed until I want them open as am that my Stretch and Kiwi will.
Paul
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:I used to carry SB's back in the 80's, but I really don't see the need as something like a Military is very fast to deploy and a FB would be even better as we all know.

I won't get into the SD aspect as that is just one of those topics I don't usually say much about other than run like ****, if not then pick up a stick, brick or lead pipe if you don't have a gun...
I still don't understand how fixed blades are legal in places where switchblades are not. Nothing opens faster than a fixed blade, and there are plenty of easy ways to conceal one. It's such a stupid law.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:I still don't understand how fixed blades are legal in places where switchblades are not. Nothing opens faster than a fixed blade, and there are plenty of easy ways to conceal one. It's such a stupid law.
Laws are designed to blanket-fix problems. Most "deadly weapon" laws include brass knuckles, balisongs, shuriken, and nunchucks as well thanks to the ninja fan era.

Is a balisong more deadly than a legal fixed blade? No way
Does it make sense you cannot carry two pieces of wood joined with rope or chain BUT can typically get a license to carry a gun? Hahaha :D

If people were braining each-other with flashlights and clip boards there would be laws against or limiting size/weight of those products. Not because it would make any sense but it would contextually fix a problem we wouldn't understand years from now. :rolleyes:
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

The Deacon wrote:OTOH, some folks prefer to have multiple opening options, because what's "best" is not always a constant.
Yeah that's right, it all depends on the intended use, a thumb stud generally requires deliberate controlled action so in terms of getting it out in a hurry, is far down the list. For most of my use speed is not a requirement, so I enjoy using them as much as I enjoy flicking a knife open or using a wave deployment out of pocket.

The Spyderhole definitely wins on flexibility, especially when coupled with an Emerson wave opener or zip tie mod, you can deploy the knife from pocket, or have the option to thumb open the knife, quickly or controlled, or even 2 handed open.

If best = fast, these would be in my pockets :cool:
I see, said the blind man.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have knives with blade holes, thumb studs and flippers. I have assisted knives and manual knives. I don't have any experience with automatics.

When I started wtih Benchmades over 10 years ago I thought they worked well with the thumb studs. I've bought more recent knives from CRKT, Kershaw, Benchmade and Spyderco. I've noticed that some of the knives have much stronger detents and they are harder to open. This coupled with small thumb studs makes the knives sometimes more difficult to open. You have to hit the thumbstud just right for reliable opening. A couple of my knives with bigger thumbstuds such as the Benchmade 581 Barrage and especially the Kershaw Blur are much more positive for opening. The Blur is almost completely foolproof. My knives with flippers are the hardest to open, they require you to hit the flipper just right or you miss. And now the Para 2- it is the most positive to open even though it is completely unassisted. The large thumb hole is easy to hit and works whether you get your thumb in there just right or not, and the knife doesn't have an excessive detent like a lot of other knives have.

Back to the question of auto vs. assisted vs. manual- I don't know if I would want an auto or not for EDC but if unregulated I would probably own a few at least to try out. I like assisted knives as a novelty but I don't feel that they offer any big advantage for my everyday use. I have 5 or more knives in my rotation- 3 thumb studs that are assisted, 1 thumb stud that is unassisted, 1 thumb hole that is unassisted.
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

I would consider carrying a switch without a safety to be, well, unsafe. Given how easily and quickly a knife like say the Manix 2 can be opened without first remembering and then executing a safety button, I feel that a well made one hand opener is faster to deploy. Add to that other advantages, such as legal issues, social perception, price, simplicity and hence greater inherent reliability of a manual, and that switchblades usually aren't as sturdy or with as good of a lock.....and the choice on average is clear, at least to me. Some people simply like switchblades, and that's fine, but I don't think the arguments for their practicality hold water in 99% of cases. The only time I can see it is if a person cannot physically open a knife with one hand or they foresee situations where that might be the case. For me, with working hands, I see the possibility of having both hands crushed or whatever and then needing a knife at that moment as such a low probability event that the disadvantages of a switchblade far outweighs this.
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

Same reason a black, military looking gun is more likely to be banned than the same exact gun but with a hunting profile and wood stock......people are emotional and most of them don't know what they are talking about. A really dumb law is the outlaw of balisongs. It is based totally upon them looking intimidating when they open. Almost all knives can be opened more quickly, all else being equal. I'd even think a buck with a nail nick is faster than a butterfly knife, so long as you can use two hands to open it.
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP
JLS

Post by JLS »

The hole is very positive and easy to use; and is by far my preferred opening "device". However, a well-designed thumb-studded blade is also just fine and I've even enjoyed thumbstuds on a few knives. Flippers are OK, but just not my personal preference. Autos are fun, but I'm largely over that stage in life. I've had 15 or 20 over the years and only have 2 left and they haven't been touched for a long time. Where autos do make a lot of sense is for those with limited finger dexterity (think arthritis). Autos were also intended to be easy to open for people with delicate fingernails that couldn't use the nail nick in the blade. Yes, switchblades were intended for proper ladies that wanted to carry a knife!

Modern opening devices of all kinds have somewhat nullified the need for them, but they are still nice for some. Think of the Autonomy auto that Spyderco debuted this year. Rescue swimmers wanted a folding knife that is easy to operate with thick gloves on and with cold, stiff fingers and thumbs. It's hard to beat an auto for that situation.
wvguy8258 wrote:Same reason a black, military looking gun is more likely to be banned than the same exact gun but with a hunting profile and wood stock......people are emotional and most of them don't know what they are talking about. A really dumb law is the outlaw of balisongs. It is based totally upon them looking intimidating when they open. Almost all knives can be opened more quickly, all else being equal. I'd even think a buck with a nail nick is faster than a butterfly knife, so long as you can use two hands to open it.
Bali's can open very quickly and were probably the first one-handed folding knife for opening and closing. Just because people take 2 minutes to open them while doing complicated manipulations in the movies doesn't mean they take that long. Watch a few Youtube videos and you'll see what I mean. People who practice with them are good; people who train with them are astonishing. I find them fun and relaxing, but rarely use or carry them. My Smallfly trainer is by far my favorite bali since I can play and not risk serious injury.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

thought this post was about the vallotton subhilt since it has both...