Bradley Air- Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Mallus wrote:Does this knife fit into the fifth pocket of jeans? I favor clips but if I could stuff this into the watch pocket, that might serve.
I'm sure it depends on the jeans. I guess Levi's are the standard. My Carhartts' watch pocket might, just barely, hold the Air (they don't hold all of the Chaparral). I could put an Air and a small lunch in the watch pocket of my Wranglers.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

You guys are a bad influence. I just HAD to get me one of these for "dress clothes" days.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gull wing wrote:Yes, that knife needs a clip. If I were to get one, I would make one from titanium.
Or just a wire?

Ken
玉鋼
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Once I end up getting one, I think I'm going to look into putting a simple rawhide lanyard around the rearmost post. Depending on how much clearance there is between the blade edge and the post, it might work out.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
MCM

Post by MCM »

Love almost everything about this knife!
Except its tiny size.
Already have a boat load of small Spyderco's that I seldom carry. (maybe 50?)
But for those who don't, this would be a great choice!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:Or just a wire?

Ken
Looks like you did a good job on that. Looks like the wire goes under the scale. How does the knife look if you remove the clip? Does it look obviously altered at a glance or do you need to look closely? Did you cut grooves in the bottom of the scales, liner or both? Even if you can tell there was work done on the knife for a clip it doesn't look like it would be any more obvious than the other Spydercos with the option, which is most of them. Especially the knives with wire clips. There are two visible grooves in the handle that do not add to the appearance. They have to be there for the clip design. I like your design from what I can see. More pics would be great, with and without the clip. Nice work.

I don't know if this is the knife for a clip though. Personally, I would say a clip takes the "classy" feature down a notch or two. But, if you want a clip on the knife I think you did a great job.

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Thanks Jack,

Yes, you can tell. It isn't glaring but the scale is slightly notched. But I'm not taking the clip off, so no worries.

I decided I needed every bit of strength I could get from the scale, so all the channel was cut in the liner. It's only a sheet of paper thicker than the wire. Of course, if Sal added one like this it would have looked much, much nicer, but I think it came out okay, for me ;)

I agree with you on the "classy" part, but I won't carry it without and what good is that? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

This is one of the few spydies I was just ecstatic about for this year. I just got mine earlier this week and I love it. I think the silver twill is a little cheap looking and I dislike how the TI liners stick out and have sharp edges, however.

On the plus side, this knife would look AMAZING with light blue anodized liners (similar to Centofante Memory's silver twill/blue anodized combo).

Looks like I need to get a anodizing bath put together... never done it before, but after watching some stuff on YouTube it looks easier enough.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

sal

Post by sal »

Nice work on the clip Ken. We're still waiting for more ELU input before making any final decisions. Did you add screws? or just use the existing screw to hold the clip in?

sal
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

Sal I would buy one in a heartbeat if there was a clip. Nice job Ken!
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

sal wrote:Nice work on the clip Ken. We're still waiting for more ELU input before making any final decisions. Did you add screws? or just use the existing screw to hold the clip in?
Thanks Sal and Scarlett,

Sal, I just used the existing screw. I thought about getting a replacement with a larger head but W&R didn't have access to what screw size I needed (and I'm clueless figuring it out). I was surprised at how well the scale held it in, but I'm still thinking about putting a drop of epoxy in there for added strength. What do you think?

Ken
玉鋼
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Got mine today!

I love the size. I love the shape.

The Taichung crew did an excellent job. The fit and finish is impeccable.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.

Post by 1623 »

kbuzbee wrote:Thanks Jack,

Yes, you can tell. It isn't glaring but the scale is slightly notched. But I'm not taking the clip off, so no worries.

I decided I needed every bit of strength I could get from the scale, so all the channel was cut in the liner. It's only a sheet of paper thicker than the wire. Of course, if Sal added one like this it would have looked much, much nicer, but I think it came out okay, for me ;)

I agree with you on the "classy" part, but I won't carry it without and what good is that? ;)

Ken
Ken, that's a standard length wire clip correct?

Would it be possible for you to mock up a Dragonfly clip? I'm curious as to whether or not it would be more appealing on such a diminutive knife.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.

Post by 1623 »

kbuzbee wrote:Or just a wire?

Ken
Ken, that's a standard length wire clip correct?

Would it be possible for you to mock up a Dragonfly clip? I'm curious as to whether or not it would be more appealing on such a diminutive knife.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Can someone post a photo of the Air side-by-side with an original Kiwi. I'd really like to see a visual comparison. Thanks.
AlphaTang0

Post by AlphaTang0 »

Beautiful looking knife, and possibly everything I was looking for in a gentlemen's edc, sleek, clipless, wharncliffe, high quality materials, modern, but I just have a question about the size. I was ideally looking for something with a 2.75-3" blade and a 4" handle, with the Air's handle barely 3.5" do you find it difficult to get a good grip? Does it basically get held with three fingers etc. I have pretty normal sized hands. Tks.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Knifewing wrote:Can someone post a photo of the Air side-by-side with an original Kiwi. I'd really like to see a visual comparison. Thanks.
Here are a couple comparison pics...

:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

AlphaTang0 wrote:Beautiful looking knife, and possibly everything I was looking for in a gentlemen's edc, sleek, clipless, wharncliffe, high quality materials, modern, but I just have a question about the size. I was ideally looking for something with a 2.75-3" blade and a 4" handle, with the Air's handle barely 3.5" do you find it difficult to get a good grip? Does it basically get held with three fingers etc. I have pretty normal sized hands. Tks.
I don't have huge hands, but I find the Air comfortable and easy to hold. I can get a 4 finger grip thanks to the shape of the handle. The shape of the grip near the pivot, is slanted to allow a bit more space for grip. Also, the bottom end of the handle tapers to kind of a point allowing more room for the pinky to get at least a partial grip. It's a very nice handle shape, IMO.
:bug-red-white
AlphaTang0

Post by AlphaTang0 »

Thanks gbelleh appreciate the reply. Just placed my order, v excited!