Spyderco Zulu

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
modestglock26

Spyderco Zulu

Post by modestglock26 »

Anyone out there a proud owner of the Zulu? I know it's not the traditional look, but something has me drawn to it.

Just curious how they are holding up for anyone who owns or EDC's a Zulu.

I have one being shipped to me and I'm thinking it'll add a nice change to the EDC line up.

I'm still having a hard time picking a color to order my delica in. I'm really feeling orange right now but just can't make up my mind. The Zulu is to hold me over.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Congrats! I don't have one, but the design appeals to me, alot. Most folks who have them seem to love them so I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Ken
玉鋼
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

I figured it would at something different to the mix.

I just recently parted with a few Spyders that just weren't for me. I consider it a good learning process.

The Zulu will be here in a few days and I think an orange Delica will be next. After that it'll probably be something different again just to keep the variety going.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have a Zulu. It's neat looking and very well made, but I find it less practical for my EDC tasks than more traditional blade shapes. It also rides a bit higher (tip up) in the pocket than I like. But, it is comfortable in the hand, and unique looking, and a nice change from the traditional.
:bug-red-white
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Haven't seen or held one. Looks like it could skin a deer like no ones business with it. I can see rope slicing easy too. Sharpening on benchstones would be a problem but if you have a sharpmaker you will be good to go.
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

.357 mag wrote:Haven't seen or held one. Looks like it could skin a deer like no ones business with it. I can see rope slicing easy too. Sharpening on benchstones would be a problem but if you have a sharpmaker you will be good to go.
I really really need to invest in a Sharpmaker one of these days. I'm a little hesitant to sharpen anything as I've never done it and don't want to ruin anything. I feel that if I got the hang of it, it would be a great way to keep all my blades sharp on a daily basis.

I recently parted with my Dragonfly II and my Manix 2 but I only because I wanted different versions of them. Definitely want the g10 Dragonfly soon.

I think the Zulu will make for a good 'odd' addition. It's not what I normally go for but I heard a few good reviews.
mattman

Post by mattman »

A sharpmaker!

there's a TON of great info on the forums on getting started with it.

I've never heard anyone regret owning one...
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Zulu is a design I've had my eye on for a few years now. I love the funkier spectrum of knives and wish Spyderco and Jens Anso would have more collaborations of his larger designs too. (seems like the other company making his designs produces a sh*t product).
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
Concerning the Zulu, just do a search here on the forum, and you'll find several posts that I've made about one of my favorite spydercos.
I'm a big fan of this knife, and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone, especially if you're looking for something different and exotic.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
JD Spydo

The ZULU has a passing grade for sure.

Post by JD Spydo »

Until Spyderco had gotten into the "recurve" sector of the knife market I had never even ever considered owning a "RECURVE" blade.

I've had 3 of Spyderco's great Recurves>> my first one was the special edition, Sprint Run "SPYKER" which was a collaboration between Spyderco and Kershaw. That knife was truly a well made, solid piece of construction that locked up about as tight as any Spyderco folder I ever owned.

The second one I owned was Brother Dialex's brilliant designed "recurve" we all know as the "Adventura" and just like the Spyker it's now a very sought after collector's piece. I traded both of them for a couple of new models and of course now I wish I had both of them back..

OK now on to the ZULU>> Yes I own one. No I haven't even taken it out of the box yet other than to inspect it and look it over really good. I"m holding out hope that I will find or be able to trade for a "user" of the ZULU because I do feel like the other recurves before it that it will have a very short tenure on the main line up.

And that truly baffles me because all 3 of these great Spyderco recurve models are top notch quality and I'm confused as to why at least one of them didn't go high on the charts.

But I am going to make my one Zulu a safe queen for that reason.

If you have a need or anticipate ever needing a recurve folder then by all means get a ZULU because it is a great model..

The only minor complaint I have with my ZULU is that I wish that the blade was at least a half inch to 3 quarters of an inch longer and maybe just a tad bit wider.

The ZULU not only has a passing grade but a very good gradel
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

JD Spydo wrote:Until Spyderco had gotten into the "recurve" sector of the knife market I had never even ever considered owning a "RECURVE" blade.

I've had 3 of Spyderco's great Recurves>> my first one was the special edition, Sprint Run "SPYKER" which was a collaboration between Spyderco and Kershaw. That knife was truly a well made, solid piece of construction that locked up about as tight as any Spyderco folder I ever owned.

The second one I owned was Brother Dialex's brilliant designed "recurve" we all know as the "Adventura" and just like the Spyker it's now a very sought after collector's piece. I traded both of them for a couple of new models and of course now I wish I had both of them back..

OK now on to the ZULU>> Yes I own one. No I haven't even taken it out of the box yet other than to inspect it and look it over really good. I"m holding out hope that I will find or be able to trade for a "user" of the ZULU because I do feel like the other recurves before it that it will have a very short tenure on the main line up.

And that truly baffles me because all 3 of these great Spyderco recurve models are top notch quality and I'm confused as to why at least one of them didn't go high on the charts.

But I am going to make my one Zulu a safe queen for that reason.

If you have a need or anticipate ever needing a recurve folder then by all means get a ZULU because it is a great model..

The only minor complaint I have with my ZULU is that I wish that the blade was at least a half inch to 3 quarters of an inch longer and maybe just a tad bit wider.

The ZULU not only has a passing grade but a very good gradel
Thanks for the insight.

It's a very different style than everything else I own but I figured it was cool enough to look into. I actually parted with a larger knife that I just couldn't get away with carrying comfortably so that I could get the Zulu. I'm a big ZT fan but also a big Spyderco fan, so I made the trade as I had a few more ZT's than needed.

I know it's off topic but I'm also getting my first BM product in the mail next week as well as the Zulu so I'm very excited. I ordered a full size BM Bone Collector axis folder in walnut just to add some wood to the mix.

Only got it because it had the Spyder hole type setup which is the fastest for me personally.

Going to be a good week. Now I'm just torn on which Spyders I can afford to order next. Have a feeling the Stretch is going to work its way into the mix.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

I bought one almost solely because it was so different from my other knives. Along the way, it has become a favorite (top five anyway) EDC for me. It's in the general range of my favorite size. It also has a tremendously smooth opening and lock up. If you're a liner lock fan at all (I am) and you like the looks, then it's a pretty safe bet you'll like the Zulu.

I've only used mine for light duty (packaging and boxes) but the blade has been a true pleasure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:I bought one almost solely because it was so different from my other knives. Along the way, it has become a favorite (top five anyway) EDC for me. It's in the general range of my favorite size. It also has a tremendously smooth opening and lock up. If you're a liner lock fan at all (I am) and you like the looks, then it's a pretty safe bet you'll like the Zulu.

I've only used mine for light duty (packaging and boxes) but the blade has been a true pleasure.
Hey MSM what are some of the advantages you've found using a "recurve" blade ??>> also have you owned other recurves to compare to the Zulu?

Also what methods do you use for sharpening recurves?
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

Just got the Zulu in the mail today and so far it's pretty neat. Glad I traded for it as I think it will get a lot of pocket time.

It is small than I thought, but feels big in the hands due to the thicker grips. I think it's a great balance of size and feel.

I had to switch it to tip-up carry, but other than that I can't think of anything I would change about it. The smoke pocket clip looks nice too!

Lock-up is perfect and the blade is centered perfectly. Opens very smooth.

Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

JD Spydo wrote:Hey MSM what are some of the advantages you've found using a "recurve" blade ??>> also have you owned other recurves to compare to the Zulu?

Also what methods do you use for sharpening recurves?

Well, per my post above, my usage of the Zulu has all been light. The recurve blade will open a box more or less as well as a leaf shaped blade. It's not enough of an advantage or disadvantage to warrant much thought. Last night I cut the tops off strawberries for my kids and the big belly on the Zulu worked well for that. The high hollow grind is close enough to FFG in feel to make the knife work fine for food prep. You can split apples with it fine, unlike some hollow ground blades.

I've only touched it up, but I use a Sharpmaker. No special technique. I don't find the recurve blade to be that weird to sharpen or use. It's just a larger belly than a leaf shaped blade. That's all.

I'm carrying my Zulu right now, as a matter of fact.
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:Well, per my post above, my usage of the Zulu has all been light. The recurve blade will open a box more or less as well as a leaf shaped blade. It's not enough of an advantage or disadvantage to warrant much thought. Last night I cut the tops off strawberries for my kids and the big belly on the Zulu worked well for that. The high hollow grind is close enough to FFG in feel to make the knife work fine for food prep. You can split apples with it fine, unlike some hollow ground blades.

I've only touched it up, but I use a Sharpmaker. No special technique. I don't find the recurve blade to be that weird to sharpen or use. It's just a larger belly than a leaf shaped blade. That's all.

I'm carrying my Zulu right now, as a matter of fact.
I will get off my lazy butt one of these days and buy a Sharpmaker and learn how to touch up my own knives. Part of me is still scared to do it for fear of messing anything up.

I carried the Zulu last night on my 12 hour shift and couldn't stop liking it. Feels good in the pocket and even better in the hands.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Recurve blades are one type of blade that I haven't fully explored but I intend to EDC one at some point. Right now Im torn between the Zulu or waiting until I can find another Spyker that is used to play with. But Dialex's Adventura was a dandy too I just wish it had been made a little bigger like the Spyker.

The Zulu is one of those Spyders that are different and slow to catch on. I'm afraid it won't be fully appreciated until it's deleted from the main line up.

I would still like to see how a recurve would perform with a full Spyderedge.
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

JD Spydo wrote:Recurve blades are one type of blade that I haven't fully explored but I intend to EDC one at some point. Right now Im torn between the Zulu or waiting until I can find another Spyker that is used to play with. But Dialex's Adventura was a dandy too I just wish it had been made a little bigger like the Spyker.

The Zulu is one of those Spyders that are different and slow to catch on. I'm afraid it won't be fully appreciated until it's deleted from the main line up.

I would still like to see how a recurve would perform with a full Spyderedge.
I agree. I think the look of it just isn't for everyone and that's fine. Variety is the spice of life. I'll admit it wasn't my favorite looking knife but at the same time it has really grown on me.

The Zulu carries great. It is small enough but also just thick enough to feel very full in your hands. The blade shape is new to me but I've been carrying it the last few days and been using it here and there and I'm a fan.

There is plenty of room in life to have all sorts of knives.
modestglock26

Post by modestglock26 »

The more I carry and use the Zulu the more I love it!

Been working around the condo today and unpacking furniture boxes and it's handling that quite well. Cleaned it off and just got done with some food prep for some meixicana tonight. Handles itself very well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Make no mistake the Zulu is a well made, rock solid piece of high quality construction. I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a recurve blade. I still maintain that the Spyker in my opinion was the best made recurve that Spyderco ever made.

Recurves have their niche just like any other design. Although their fan base is rather slim compared to many other design types. Again though the Zulu is a true-blue Spyderco and the quality is there if a recurve is what you want or need.