Southfork Sheath

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Detdaddy

Southfork Sheath

Post by Detdaddy »

For those that have this knife... Does your knife rattle, or move up and down in the sheath?

I just got mine yesterday. I'm blown away by the looks and feel of this knife. But the tip rattles back and forth in the sheath (from spine to edge direction). It does not feel like it will come out because it is held very tight at the top of the sheath, and is actually quite hard to pull out of the sheath.

Just curious how the fit is on yours...
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mine doesn't move at all.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I got two of these, and in both the sheath is solid.

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Thanks guys.

The more I look at this the more I'm disappointed. I waited over 3 weeks because it was back ordered through OpsFocus, for the sheaths. It finally arrived yesterday, and it was bad enough that I noticed it immediately. The edges on the sheath on the top seemed very sharp and unfinished. And there was a bunch of black shavings hanging from edge and falling out of the sheath. Plus the top of the sheath is so tight, it's already starting to make marks on the micarta on the point of the choil. I haven't even had it for 12 hours!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

its polished g10, not micarta as some have said. G10 should be even harder to mark up though, so there may indeed be something wrong. for the record, my southfork is super solid in sheath.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Looking forward to seeing some custom sheathes for the southfork, how nice would thick leather be with this beaut?
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Bought two. Both solid, but one had an annoying little rattle.
Now I just have one. Great combination knife & sheath.
I just cant take the little click click click when walking.
Drives me nuts. LOL LOL
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Cheddarnut wrote:Looking forward to seeing some custom sheathes for the southfork, how nice would thick leather be with this beaut?
I was thinking the same thing! I like the G-clip, but this knife is so beautiful! Leather would be awsome.

DCDesigns, thank you for the correction.

Polar L

Post by Polar L »

Detdaddy wrote:For those that have this knife... Does your knife rattle, or move up and down in the sheath?
Mine does rattle quite bit...
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I'm still uncertain how I feel about the kydex sheaths. I have two. On one the top is too tight and it makes getting the knife out more difficult, to the extent I almost rip my leather belt off. There is a slight rattle when I hold it in my hand and shake, but in practice it doesn't rattle when it's up against my body. No vibration or real noise. I understand the ability to clean the kydex and that it can't be pierced by the insanely sharp knife. But, I'm still not 100% sure it's my preferred sheath.

With all that said - it's the right sheath to include on this knife. If I want another sheath I'll pick out a very specific design I want. In all likelihood, I'll be using what came with it.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Is this something that can be fixed under warranty, or is it not worth it? I don't know if they would replace the sheath, or if it can be heated and molded better...? I boxed it to send it out, but now I'm not sure if it's worth the shipping and 3 week turn around to find out nothing can be done. Man, what a let down.

GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Polar L wrote:Mine does rattle quite bit...
My Schempp Rock does too. Ugh. Only thing about it I don't like.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Can the sheath be stuffed with cotton or something to cushion the tip? Or what about attaching a rare earth magnet to the outside of the sheath near the bottom? That has a couple drawbacks, and assumes the steel to be magnetic, which it may not be. Just tossin it out there.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Cheddarnut wrote:Can the sheath be stuffed with cotton or something to cushion the tip? Or what about attaching a rare earth magnet to the outside of the sheath near the bottom? That has a couple drawbacks, and assumes the steel to be magnetic, which it may not be. Just tossin it out there.
The advantage of the kydex is that it doesn't hold moisture. I'm afraid in some conditions the cotton would collect moisture and submit the tip to rust over time. Also the kydex is the easiest material (compared to leather) to clean. So if you are using it for food prep or hunting, and do not have the opportunity to properly clean the knife before returning it to the sheath, the knife and sheath can be properly cleaned later. So in real life use, I can see the advantages of kydex and why it is packaged this way. But as someone else said earlier, it's a beautiful knife and I'd like to frame it in an equally beautiful leather sheath - realizing the issues that has. Perhaps I'll have one made some time and of course I'll keep the kydex for times when it's appropriate.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Kydex can be heated with a good heat gun or a flame (use caution with a live flame). I thought about putting a heat gun on the top of mine to loosen up the pinch point that is a smudge to tight. One is perfect, the other is too tight. But since I only want to carry one, I'm not sure if I'll worry about it...especially if I have a leather sheath made for it. :)

I'd call Spyderco for their advice before sending it in. Perhaps it's easier to fix yourself.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

RedRunner wrote:The advantage of the kydex is that it doesn't hold moisture. I'm afraid in some conditions the cotton would collect moisture and submit the tip to rust over time. Also the kydex is the easiest material (compared to leather) to clean. So if you are using it for food prep or hunting, and do not have the opportunity to properly clean the knife before returning it to the sheath, the knife and sheath can be properly cleaned later. So in real life use, I can see the advantages of kydex and why it is packaged this way. But as someone else said earlier, it's a beautiful knife and I'd like to frame it in an equally beautiful leather sheath - realizing the issues that has. Perhaps I'll have one made some time and of course I'll keep the kydex for times when it's appropriate.
I hear you, i wonder if removable kydex inserts can be fitted in a leather sheath for the best of both...
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

Mine rattles a little bit in the kydex, but it's in no danger of coming out or anything. I'm thinking about drilling a small hole and positioning a rubber washered tensioning screw at the top to control the "tightness" around the handle. In theory the rubber washer would provide enough tension to quell the rattle while still having enough "give" to allow the knife to be easily removed from and replaced in the sheath.

EDIT: It seems to have worked. No more rattle, although it is tighter getting the knife in and out of the sheath now.

EDITED AGAIN: Okay, before anybody else tries this - I neglected to consider when drawing the knife from the sheath at certain angles that the edge might contact the tensioning screw. That is exactly what happened to mine. :eek: Its almost repaired after some sharpmaker therapy, but the screw is now gone from the sheath. Yet another item in my personal list of poorly planned and/or executed ideas.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

One major thing I didn't like was that there isn't a really proper place to put your thumb to pop the knife from the sheath. It's not really a problem when being carried on a belt, but when it's carried in a pocket then it tends to be difficult to unsheathe.

Since the sheath is made from highly maliable matereial I decided to flare it out a little to make a nice spot for my thumb.

Works Great!
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

I'm loving what I'm reading. Would baking the sheath be a viable option? 5 minutes at 350? :p
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Please do NOT bake your sheath or take a heat gun to it. If you are having any issues with your sheath, please send it back in (with the knife) to W&R so we can evaluate and correct the issue.

Thank you!!
There is nothing more important than this one day.