Caly3 or caly 3.5 / whats your choice!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

cyd8187 wrote:Appears The 3.5 is of the Thumbs up from the Caly3.
ugggg.. Decisions Decisions....,
I guess with the Caly3 out of production and I cant find one, been looking at different forums and ebay..
Looks Like I will have to go with the 3.5
Unless Someone can show me the way to a available Caly3..!!
Caly 3 VG 10 G10 on ebay today .. Item number: 330780457926 .. 1 bid $79 goes off in 6 hours
Not mine .. . just trying to help

I have both - love 'em both.
If I had to pick just one .... I'd buy 'em both! :-)
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Might you tell me what CS stands for. I went looking for this overstock item but can't find anything that really ties to "CS" other than Cold Steel, and I see no Spyderco knives on their site

Phil
BTW cyd8187 asked this also, but no one seemed to notice...or answer.

DCDesigns wrote:i also have the 3.5 sb sprint, one of the best slicers ever made! id go with a 3.5, and if i were to buy right now id get the over stocked zdp model at cs

Post by 1623 »

mandrake wrote:Might you tell me what CS stands for. I went looking for this overstock item but can't find anything that really ties to "CS" other than Cold Steel, and I see no Spyderco knives on their site

Phil
BTW cyd8187 asked this also, but no one seemed to notice...or answer.
Cutlery Shoppe.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

cyd8187 wrote:Appears The 3.5 is of the Thumbs up from the Caly3.
Quite a few people will disagree. I am one of them. I love both knives evenly. As of right now, Caly3.5 is in the pocket of my work jeans, but Caly3 is in the pocket of shorts, I am wearing.
IIRC Sal mentioned once about Caly3 sprint with blue G10, or I am just dreaming :confused:
Timbo114 wrote:Caly 3 VG 10 G10 on ebay today .. Item number: 330780457926 .. 1 bid $79 goes off in 6 hours
Do you realize that this one is SE?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm a big fan of the Caly/UKPK platform, it's an excellent pocket knife design. However, the Caly 3.5 is battling with my CF Stretch for the position of 'best utility folder' in my collection. Like some have mentioned in this thread, if you're limited by law or NKP environment then go for the 3 to enjoy the knife best. If not, go with the 3.5.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
sal

Post by sal »

[quote="bh49"]

Super Blue and gray G-10. In-the-works.

sal
MCM

Post by MCM »

sal wrote:Super Blue and gray G-10. In-the-works.

sal
Sounds good! ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Great news on the Caly 3 SB sprint.

The Caly series to me is the most versatile and comfortable made by Spyderco.

The Caly 3 is thin and light; they have a deep pocket carry; tried and true lock design; G-10 scales (of which I am a fan), finger choil; great steel, terrific ergonomics; and it's hard for me to nitpick any flaws with the knife. The only flaw with the basic Caly 3 is that it is not as "sexy" as some other models (but the variants make up for that with cool scales and steels). That said, the lack of "sexiness" on the basic model has not stopped me from finding it extremely useful. The bottom line is that the design just works.

I was going to say "flip a coin" on the decision. For me it would depend on blade laws in my area, and hand size. The Caly 3.5 fits my larger hands a bit better than the Caly 3. If I had to narrow my Spyderco collection down to one knife only for general use, it would be the Caly 3.5 - not because it is necessarily my favorite (i.e. the funnest knife to play with) but because it is the most versatile in my opinion.
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

Ok, after much thoughts and all the input, hand size, balance & others
And I Thank You All.....
I want the caly3,.. G-10 Handles...
Plain edge
Pleasee Help Me Find One.......
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

cyd8187 wrote:Ok, after much thoughts and all the input, hand size, balance & others
And I Thank You All.....
Plain edge
I have 2 of these. I bought the second one when I learned that they were going to be discontinued. Good luck finding a G10 version. might have to wait for the sprint. I prefer the Caly 3 over the 3.5
The only thing that is kind of a cool addition to me is the lanyard hole on the 3.5
I wonder if the blade lockup precision will last as long on the 3.5 due to the smashed sections on the lock bar. I remember a thread a year or so ago talking about this raised section of the lockbar. I think it was put there to adjust fit at the factory. I think it is something that will eventially wear away and cause slop in the lock up. Does anyone know if thay are still building them this way?
alancamby

Post by alancamby »

One thing that I don't remember a thread on was a small quality concern with the Caly 3 at the end of the production of the G10 model. Someone , Japan, Spyderco, or maybe a dealer put some kind of RP (rust preventative) or oil on the knife that stained the G10. The last Caly 3 I ordered had this staining on the G10 and it would not come off with any kind of cleaner. It was a permanent stain in the G10. I had Spyderco warranty this knife. I remember over the course of time reading other forum members running into the same problems. So, if you find one NIB on the net, You might ask the seller to look for any staining on the G10. If it has staining I doubt at this point Spyderco will be able to help with a replacement Caly 3 G10. I assume they would offer you 3.5 or a 3 with carbon fiber in a warranty situation.
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

I have 2 of these. I bought the second one when I learned that they were going to be discontinued. Good luck finding a G10 version. might have to wait for the sprint. I prefer the Caly 3 over the 3.5
cyd8187 wrote: I agree, Have searched all over..
None found.....ugggg.

Ok, after much thoughts and all the input, hand size, balance & others
And I Thank You All.....
Plain edge