Caly3 or caly 3.5 / whats your choice!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cyd8187

Caly3 or caly 3.5 / whats your choice!

Post by cyd8187 »

I'm Leaning toward the Caly3, PE, VG-10 & G-10 Handles-- Still Trying to find One.., But the 3.5?...hmmm
Please Holla In with your thoughts , experience of the two....
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have both. The Caly 3 is more modest and more well balanced, but the Caly 3.5 is more impressive. Closed and in hand, both feel like the same knife, but you get an extra half inch of blade from the 3.5. I am impressed with how you can fit an extra half inch of blade into the same sized handle.

For the price point and what you get for your dollar, I would go with the 3.5.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Unless you are legally limited to the shorter blade length, I would go with the 3.5.
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

I like what you say about more well balanced .. that's a plus!
Donut wrote:I have both. The Caly 3 is more modest and more well balanced, but the Caly 3.5 is more impressive. Closed and in hand, both feel like the same knife, but you get an extra half inch of blade from the 3.5. I am impressed with how you can fit an extra half inch of blade into the same sized handle.

For the price point and what you get for your dollar, I would go with the 3.5.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Caly 3 a lot, but I'd take a 3.5 over a 3 any day. I carry a SB Caly 3.5 regularly and it's an excellent EDC knife.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends. For those who want to carry a Caly, I'd pretty much agree with PanChango that the 3.5 is the way to go unless you're legally limited to a 3" blade. But when longer blades are legal, which they are most days, I'll take the Stretch over either Caly. On the other hand, the new damascus Caly 3 is a classy looking piece and has found its way into my pocket a couple times when I headed into downtown Greenville where there's a 3" limit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

I'm not limited to the 3' blade... but I do like the design and look of the Caly... it seems the handle is same length, I feel more comfortable without a lot of bulk in my pocket for a edc., I've been carrying a calypso Jr. Of which I like because of pocket size... but would like a lil larger blade....
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The great thing about the Caly 3.5 is that it's so thin and small in the pocket. It's not bulky at all, and is (IMO), indistinguishable from the Caly 3 in the pocket.

But you get noticeably more blade.

:bug-red-white
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

Thanks for that Photo Shot!.. "Big Help" Looking at the two... I know its only a Half In. difference, but at time's a Half In. makes the difference
gbelleh wrote:The great thing about the Caly 3.5 is that it's so thin and small in the pocket. It's not bulky at all, and is (IMO), indistinguishable from the Caly 3 in the pocket.

But you get noticeably more blade.

bh49

Both

Post by bh49 »

I love both knives. I bought G10 Caly3 on the first day when they came out. I carried it every day until Caly3.5 came out and Caly was replaced with bigger brother for only one reason: longer blade. Quite often I use my Caly to help with fruit or lunch and an extra blade is helpful.
I never felt that one of them has better balance. Both shared the same ergos and blade geometry. Both are taking about the same room in the pocket, which is nothing to compare with my Persian. I love both knives. Appearance wise, I like Caly3 lines a little, just a hair more. Sometimes it is with me on weekends or when I go out of state. Monday through Friday Caly3.5 doing it's job.
The Deacon wrote:On the other hand, the new damascus Caly 3 is a classy looking piece and has found its way into my pocket a couple times when I headed into downtown Greenville where there's a 3" limit.
Paul,
You are not helping, I was trying to pass on this Caly. All money spend on Mountain man :) :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

Appears The 3.5 is of the Thumbs up from the Caly3.
ugggg.. Decisions Decisions....,
I guess with the Caly3 out of production and I cant find one, been looking at different forums and ebay..
Looks Like I will have to go with the 3.5
Unless Someone can show me the way to a available Caly3..!!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Donut wrote:I have both. The Caly 3 is more modest and more well balanced, but the Caly 3.5 is more impressive. Closed and in hand, both feel like the same knife, but you get an extra half inch of blade from the 3.5. I am impressed with how you can fit an extra half inch of blade into the same sized handle.
I also have both, and agree with this. It's odd, but true. :) :spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have held the 3, but the 3.5 took the prize for me. I will still buy a 3 in SB though!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

i also have the 3.5 sb sprint, one of the best slicers ever made! id go with a 3.5, and if i were to buy right now id get the over stocked zdp model at cs
cyd8187

Post by cyd8187 »

Cs?
dcdesigns wrote:i also have the 3.5 sb sprint, one of the best slicers ever made! Id go with a 3.5, and if i were to buy right now id get the over stocked zdp model at cs
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

PanChango wrote:Unless you are legally limited to the shorter blade length, I would go with the 3.5.
i agree with this... even though the 3 is more balanced...
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I never bought the Caly 3. The Caly 3.5 sprint I had was my most used knife and I had it with me everyday. The ergos are just perfect on the Caly 3.5 and it's a great slicer. I would say I am biased but I vote for 3.5 anyway.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
WMR

Post by WMR »

I got a Caly 3 first, but when I got the 3.5 I would never go back. I carry the 3.5 all the time and love it!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Of the two, I prefer the 3.5 it looks better. :D
Of course, as said before, the Stretch is the same length and is more Substantial. Plus I tend to stick myself with real pointed knives. :eek:

Good hunting.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

gbelleh wrote:I like the Caly 3 a lot, but I'd take a 3.5 over a 3 any day. I carry a SB Caly 3.5 regularly and it's an excellent EDC knife.
I'd have to agree. If legal, get the 3.5. I loved my 3, but my SB 3.5 rides with me every day.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy