My dream knife for work (military application)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phobiarg

My dream knife for work (military application)

Post by phobiarg »

I am active duty in the USCG and being around the ocean and ships daily as a whole most people carry a knife. Serrated or partially serrated edges being required for most units. The Spyderco Salt series is extremely popular because of the H1. I personally own a Spyderhawk SE and a Salt PE. I find the Salt too small for my hands and the Spyderhawk too large in pocket. I know the Pacific Salt should be the right size but am looking for something a bit different and I have a feeling most of my coworkers would love something like this...

1.) H1 Steel... about 4-4.2" handle length, with jimping on the spine like on the Endura.
2.) Ball bearing lock or liner lock/frame lock, the ability to close the knife one handed means my other hand can be free to do something else. Lockbacks require too much manipulation to close with one hand.
3.) 1/2 SE grind, a full SE blade makes the tip weaker IMO and has less utility than a PE for EDC tasks.
4.) Liners in the knife... I understand the FRN handles are probably adequate for most users, but military members break things, a lot.
5.) Deep carry pocket clip, preferably a wire clip like on the Sage1, we deal with a very confined environment. The inch or so of handle that hangs out of pocket on most Spydercos are ok, but to be able to bury the knife deep in pocket to keep it from getting hung up on things going up and down ladders or walking through passageways would be perfect.
6.) Hopefully a price point under $80, most military members I've talked with buy inexpensive knives so they don't lose or break an expensive knife.

I don't know if its even possible to do a partially serrated grind on H1 steel, I know FFG is not. And I'm not sure if the market makes sense for something like this, but I do know that if this was on the market I would be buying one or two.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really don't think it's possible to get all that in the price range you're looking for. When you're dealing with H1, it drives the price up a bit, and then everything else on the knife has to be rust proof along with it or what's the point? The lock design you want also costs more to produce than a lock back. Beyond all that it sounds like a pretty sweet knife idea.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

yea evil d beat me to it, that sounds like a $200+ knife. One of the big cost drivers would be those liners since if you want it to be a salt knife, they would need to be Ti or H1, both really expensive. not to mention tooling up for an FRN mold for a new model and all that

Its a great day dream thread, but when it comes to building such a specific "dream knife" id plan on spending a bit more for it. One option you always have is to have a custom knife made for your purposes. It doesnt have to be h1, there are other steels out there which have great corrosion resistance, and many makers which would be glad to make what ever you want. Just add a zero to that first price you wanted to pay and you'll have what you want.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Me thinks you need to practice closing a lock back one handed. It's very easy with a little practice.
JD Spydo

Tasman companion

Post by JD Spydo »

I would go with the Pacific Salt and have a TASMAN as a Hawkbill companion. There are several ways you could go in the H-1 Salt Series.

I've been carrying a Spyderhawk off and on for about the last 3 to 4 months. It does seem big at first but you get used to it after a while.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

First off - thank you for your service to our Country, phogiarg.

Based on your description, the new Autonomy might fit the bill. Sal said he designed it with the USCG in mind. It doesn't meet all of your requirements - but it is ONE SWEET KNIFE!

H1 - check
Deep carry clip - check
Partially serrated blade - ...check...
Liners - check
Lock - not ball or liner lock... but auto
Price point - Hmmmm.

TedP

mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Evil D wrote:I really don't think it's possible to get all that in the price range you're looking for. When you're dealing with H1, it drives the price up a bit, and then everything else on the knife has to be rust proof along with it or what's the point? The lock design you want also costs more to produce than a lock back. Beyond all that it sounds like a pretty sweet knife idea.
In the case of the original poster, he noted that he was in the US Coast Guard. He may have a specific need for H-1 if he is at sea.

Other than that specific element, I would agree with you about the need for H-1.
phobiarg

Post by phobiarg »

phillipsted wrote:First off - thank you for your service to our Country, phogiarg.

Based on your description, the new Autonomy might fit the bill. Sal said he designed it with the USCG in mind. It doesn't meet all of your requirements - but it is ONE SWEET KNIFE!

H1 - check
Deep carry clip - check
Partially serrated blade - ...check...
Liners - check
Lock - not ball or liner lock... but auto
Price point - Hmmmm.

TedP

That looks just about perfect... I wonder what the price will be... I will definately be buying one of them.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

That just looks sweet. A mini version of a fixed blade too. Wonder how the handle materials tackle water.

It's one version I cannot get. Not in service. Just a civil servant.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Phobiarg,

As Ted mentioned, thanx for your service.

Appreciate your sharing the concept. We'll ponder it. As mentioned, liners complicate the project, but I must say it's pretty hard to break a Pacific Salt. We have a black version that we've been supplying to troops with no problems.

The Autonomy was the result of a 3 year project with the Coast Guard. The Rescue swimmers set the parameters and wishes. Their final test on a proto in the water was positive so the knife is going into production in Golden. H1 blade, non rusting innards and some special features that make the knife friendly to maintain.

sal