How to Sharpen Dragonfly? Dull, messed up...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BuffaloWang

How to Sharpen Dragonfly? Dull, messed up...

Post by BuffaloWang »

Got this for cheap off eBay, it's my first knife/Spyderco.

Any ideas what to do? I found this: http://sharpenwhileyoushop.com/ which is nearby, cost $5. Should I send it into Spyderco? Or maybe just resell it back off and get another knife?

I have tried a whetting stone and it didn't do much.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Might be best to send it in to Spyderco. I'm sure they've seen stuff come in that's looked worse than that.
~ Nate
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I'd send it to Spyderco with $5 to have them sharpen it.

Go here and fill out there little question thingy. :)
http://www.spyderco.com/contact/
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I agree with sending to Spyderco too. That looks odd. Hope you got a great deal.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BuffaloWang

Post by BuffaloWang »

Just sent a message! Didn't know it costs $5 for Spyderco.
Cost me ~$15 on eBay.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If you have a coarse stone, you could use that as well, though it'll take some work to fix it. Nice find.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BuffaloWang wrote:Just sent a message! Didn't know it costs $5 for Spyderco.
Cost me ~$15 on eBay.
The sharpening is free. The $5 is for return postage because Spyderco has to pay the postal service.

Honestly you could rehab that yourself. It's going to take hours and hours or half that time with the proper equipment which isn't cheap. Know your knife could be gone for a few weeks depending on how many are in line for sharpening.

If the blade is extremely messed up they might quote you a higher price. Typically that is for extremely messed up knives.

Just remember a new Dragonfly2 is about $45. You might end up with a knife 90% as good for half the cost.
holymolar

Post by holymolar »

Before putting on a new bevel, you may want to start with a coarse sandpaper (maybe 220 or less) to see if you can get the majority of scratches out. If so, progress up to 2500 grit sandpaper and then put a new bevel on the edge with whatever sharpening system you have. If the major scratches don't come out reasonably well with a moderate amount of work, I would just sell it and get a new one. A professional sharpening service could probably get the scratches out and then sharpen it, but that would be more work and they would probably charge more than the usual $5 fee. Some used knives are just too much trouble and not cost effective to get back up to acceptability.

On the other hand, you could try to contact Spyderco and send them the photo and ask if they could get the scratches out along with resharpening it - before sending it to them.
BuffaloWang

Post by BuffaloWang »

Spyderco replied back to me and they said they could do it, but can't give an estimate of how much blade I would lose. Honestly though, 3 week turn around time is a bit too long for me. Would rather just resell it on eBay and get another one.

All I have now is a whetting stone, any ideas what I could do with it? I have tried it and it didn't get it that sharp. Maybe my technique is wrong or I just need to sharpen it more?

Should I continue using the whetting stone or just sell it back?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The problem with the stone you have is, it likely isn't aggressive enough to cut a bevel back into the blade. In other words, the V needs brought back to an even edge, and your stone isn't coarse enough to do it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BuffaloWang wrote:Spyderco replied back to me and they said they could do it, but can't give an estimate of how much blade I would lose. Honestly though, 3 week turn around time is a bit too long for me. Would rather just resell it on eBay and get another one.

All I have now is a whetting stone, any ideas what I could do with it? I have tried it and it didn't get it that sharp. Maybe my technique is wrong or I just need to sharpen it more?

Should I continue using the whetting stone or just sell it back?
That's your decision to make. You got a good deal on the knife but that doesn't always mean it's going to be perfect or even quick.

Bring it to your sharpening guy for $5 and see what happens. At this point it's gambling and I would plunk a few quarters into the machine. It probably won't be pretty but users just have to be sharp. Once you buy a Delica or a more expensive Spydie keep the Dfly for the horrible chores. Like whittling gravel or cutting up tin cans ;) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:That's your decision to make. You got a good deal on the knife but that doesn't always mean it's going to be perfect or even quick.

Bring it to your sharpening guy for $5 and see what happens. At this point it's gambling and I would plunk a few quarters into the machine. It probably won't be pretty but users just have to be sharp. Once you buy a Delica or a more expensive Spydie keep the Dfly for the horrible chores. Like whittling gravel or cutting up tin cans ;) .
And stabbing car doors. Don't forget stabbing car doors. ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BuffaloWang

Post by BuffaloWang »

What's the next step up for knives in the EDC category? I see that the Delica can be a choice.
I'll bring it to him someday and see what happens. Will update!
KBR

Post by KBR »

Skip the Delica and get a Para 2.
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
BuffaloWang

Post by BuffaloWang »

Yeah, not ready to spend that much yet :P
Maybe I eventually will. If I can find a nice one for $50-80 then I'll kop.
KBR

Post by KBR »

That's understandable, BW. The Delica was my first Spyder but now only my M390 Military rides in my pocket. It always starts with just one.... ;)

Btw, welcome to the Spyderco forums. :D
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BuffaloWang and Holymolar,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

BuffaloWang,

The knife has been used hard and it looks like it was improperly sharpened. Sure has been a lot of metal removed in an uneven matter.

I think it can be restored and I think that Spyderco could do the best job. It might give you a better impression of our knives if it's done well. If you're going up, I would recommend a Delica.

sal
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

So what Sal is saying is send it in and they will fix it up the best they can and you will get back a usable knife. I would send it in.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
BuffaloWang

Post by BuffaloWang »

Alright, so it looks like I'll send this in.
While I'm waiting the 3 weeks, I'll start hunting for a Delica/Para.

Any good B/S forums to look at?
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

BuffaloWang wrote:Alright, so it looks like I'll send this in.
While I'm waiting the 3 weeks, I'll start hunting for a Delica/Para.

Any good B/S forums to look at?
Please make sure to update us with pictures after Spyderco has sharpened the blade.

Pretty cool how the owner of the company chimed in eh?
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!