Unusual C46 Bob Lum Tanto

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DerRock

Unusual C46 Bob Lum Tanto

Post by DerRock »

Hello
Please consultation with respect to unusual knife. Interested in any information. How much could be released and when? In the catalog it was not, but judging by the box is not custom as a series.
Thank you.
(Sorry for my English, I use Google-translator)
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

No answer for your question but I found this:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... erco-Tanto
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's definitely not something that was ever offered by Spyderco. I'm still leaning toward it being an aftermarket modification. However, given the Japanese market box, it could be something G. Sakai, who made the Lum Tanto for Spyderco, did for their own custom shop in Japan. My guess is that only someone at G Sakai could tell you whether or not it is their work.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

Maybe a anodization of the titanium model. Anyway is a very beautiful knife!
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Thank you for your opinion. This question is also discussed in the Russian knife forum. We'll try to get a response from G. Sakai.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Gofannon wrote:Maybe a anodization of the titanium model. Anyway is a very beautiful knife!
Yeah that would be my guess as well. Those G-Sakai Spyders in those white Japanese boxes are a product line all their own. I've been able to get a lot of Spyders through them that you would have never been able to get here in the USA. For a long time they were the only source for a plain edged Harpy model. I couldn't find a PE Harpy anywhere here in the USA except on fleabay. AS nice of a job that was done on the LUM model I'm quite confident that it is a legitimate aftermarket production made by G-Sakai. If I had the money to get that blade I wouldn't hesitate for one second to buy it.

It's obviously one of the older/first run of the C-46 model because the later ones had VG-10 blade steel and the one in the picture has ATS-55 which was offered in many Japan made Spyders from around 1998 to around 2000-01 or thereabout. It's a beautiful version of the C-46 Lum and I do envy you.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
SpydieJay

Japanese Cricket

Post by SpydieJay »

The Deacon wrote:It's definitely not something that was ever offered by Spyderco. I'm still leaning toward it being an aftermarket modification. However, given the Japanese market box, it could be something G. Sakai, who made the Lum Tanto for Spyderco, did for their own custom shop in Japan. My guess is that only someone at G Sakai could tell you whether or not it is their work.
Hello, Paul. I noticed the two threads from 2010 and 2012 about the "blue anodized TI" Lum Tanto, and I agree. That knife is coming off my wish list because it is not factory and a no-no for the collection. Therefore, I have a similar question (since I can't seem to get the Forum's search engine to work for me finding a past thread): What exactly then is a Japan-Model Cricket (white box assumed), that is called "rainbow anodized" SS? I see it on the website below (about 3/4 the way down), but do you think it is factory (Japan Model that is)? Thanks and be well.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa/
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Beautiful Lum!! You could always blast the scales back to matte Ti.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpydieJay wrote:Hello, Paul. I noticed the two threads from 2010 and 2012 about the "blue anodized TI" Lum Tanto, and I agree. That knife is coming off my wish list because it is not factory and a no-no for the collection. Therefore, I have a similar question (since I can't seem to get the Forum's search engine to work for me finding a past thread): What exactly then is a Japan-Model Cricket (white box assumed), that is called "rainbow anodized" SS? I see it on the website below (about 3/4 the way down), but do you think it is factory (Japan Model that is)? Thanks and be well.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa/
It's an all stainless Cricket that has been anodized (or undergone a similar electro-chemical process) in a way that results in a multi-color "rainbow" or "oil on a puddle in sunlight" effect. If you scroll almost to the bottom of that page, you will see one. As mentioned, they were made by Sakai for the Japanese market and never sold by Spyderco in the USA. However, as with other JM Spydercos, some have been privately imported. I'm fairly certain that the Rainbow Spyderfly was the only rainbow anodized SS knife Spyderco sold in the USA.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!