Opinions on Military EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Exile.

Opinions on Military EDC

Post by Exile. »

Sorry for such a lame question, but I live in an area where there are absolutely no stores even remotely close that carry more than 2-3 Spydercos and therefore in-hand comparison doesn't happen for me.
I'm wanting a Military real bad, and I don't typically mind larger knives but I havn't actually SEEN the knife in person to get a feel of the REAL size. My question is, if I comfortably and constantly carry an Endura, is the Military probably not gonna be too big?
Have:
Endura 4, Tenacious, Paramilitary 2

Want:
Dodo, CF Stretch, Military, Gayle Bradley, Tasman Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'm going to say no. I carried a Endura for over a year on and off. A few weeks ago I was able to handle a military. There is not much difference in the pocket from what I could tell.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Military might be a tad bit wider in pocket but that's about it. The ergos are lightyears ahead of the Endura IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Exile,

I used to EDC my Millie way back-in-the-day (back when ATS-34 was on its way out and CPM-440V was all the rage). As far as comparisons go, the Endura is somewhat comparable to the Millie in terms of gross size. (The Millie is 9.5" overall vs. the Endura's overall length of 8.75"). Bear in mind, however, that the Millie is nearly an ounce heavier than the Endura. Also, I'd hazard to say that the the Millie may be slightly thicker than the Endura. At the end of the day, however, I didn't "feel" that the Military was that much different to carry/EDC than my Endura. I normally carried the Millie in my waistband above my right hip and never had any issues. I would highly recommend the Military for anyone looking for a serious blade with superior ergos. You can't go wrong with this knife. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I love carrying the Military. It carries VERY well for it's size.
-Ryan
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Evil D wrote:The Military might be a tad bit wider in pocket but that's about it. The ergos are lightyears ahead of the Endura IMO.
Yup, this.
On the hunt for...
Exile.

Post by Exile. »

Awesome, thanks you guys. Love this forum, always good info. Hope I can get a few more Spydies under my belt, the collections you all sport make me jealous haha. I'm actually enlisting in the Navy in a few short weeks, so maybe I'll have an excuse to buy more :P
Have:
Endura 4, Tenacious, Paramilitary 2

Want:
Dodo, CF Stretch, Military, Gayle Bradley, Tasman Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey exile,
Thought I'd throw you a comparison pic.
The military is an awesome knife, and I highly recommend it.
It seems big when you first handle it, but seems to shrink after a few days of edc.

Hope this helps!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have been carrying the Military for EDC for a few months now. I also carry a stainless steel Endura, you know, the all steel version. I find that I like the Military more over the Endura. Gripwise, the Millie's ergos are far more user friendly to me. I find the SS Endura a tad too slippery and for the lack of a better word, cumbersome.

Also, as of late, I have been using both hands to practice opening my knives. I find the Military to be easily maneuverable using my left hand. Perhaps using the Tuff for a few days helped my muscle memory adapt to knives. Don't know.

I carry my knives in a small phone pouch. It has it's advantages. I just take the pouch out and in the tray when I pass through metal detectors. The knife is not heavy at all and I have come to the stage where I do not feel the knife in my pocket at all. It's there though if I need it.

Usage side, mine cuts cake/fruits and other food, boxes and loads of envelopes. It's easy on the hand too. It's a cool knife to have.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

A good compromise between the endura and the military is the paramilitary.

Here you can compare the paramilitary 2 and the military.

;)
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You could also use this tool on Spydiewiki that Ted (Ted van der Voorde) created. It allows you to view many Spyderco models, including the Military, at actual size on you computer screen.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Deacon wrote:You could also use this tool on Spydiewiki that Ted (Ted van der Voorde) created. It allows you to view many Spyderco models, including the Military, at actual size on you computer screen.
That sounds really cool but for some reason it's not working on my PC. When I select a model and try to view it, I get a blank popup with an indication of a broken link. Is it the program or my PC I wonder?
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i switch between and endura and my millie alot for work. As long as you can handle the tip down clip you should be fine.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

The Military, specially one with the CF scales, simply disappears in your pocket - you simply forget its there .......... until you need it ;)

I used to EDC a CTS-20CP PM2, but once I tried the M390 CF Millitary, I never looked back.

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Gofannon

Post by Gofannon »

mikerestivo wrote:That sounds really cool but for some reason it's not working on my PC. When I select a model and try to view it, I get a blank popup with an indication of a broken link. Is it the program or my PC I wonder?
It works well for me.
"The things you own end up owning you."
Tyler, Fight Club

:spyder: My spyderco :spyder:

Geoffrey
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

The only caveat I'd mention is the Millie is tip down carry only. So if you carry tip up on your Endura, you're going to have to adjust a bit. For me, it was a deal breaker. Love the Millie, hate tip down. YMMV.

My answer was the Para2. Better lock (IMHO) and four way adjustable carry. Again, YMMV.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Never a big fan of the Endura, I would take a Millie over it any day. I never noticed much of a weight or size difference in use (carry and actual cutting). The ergos on the millie are much much better in my opinion. The millie shrinks after a period of time.

The Para2 suggestion is a very valid one and you should really take a look at it. The Stretch 2 is also close to the blade size of the Endura with a much better handle.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If you're going to be in the navy, be sure to check out the Salt models...
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Gofannon wrote:It works well for me.
Good.

What browser and version are you using?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikerestivo wrote:Good.

What browser and version are you using?
Works for me in Firefox and Chrome, on Win 7, Win Vista, and Ubuntu Linux. Just puts up a blank pop-up window in IE on Win 7, no error messages, but I may have javascript disabled there and I'm too lazy to tinker with it. All browsers are latest available versions, all OS are up to date on patches.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!