Opinions on Military EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

My Military (Cf/M390) is my favorite edc :D
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Deacon wrote:Works for me in Firefox and Chrome, on Win 7, Win Vista, and Ubuntu Linux. Just puts up a blank pop-up window in IE on Win 7, no error messages, but I may have javascript disabled there and I'm too lazy to tinker with it. All browsers are latest available versions, all OS are up to date on patches.
I just tried using Google Chrome and it works fine. My primary browser is IE 9 and it won't play nice with the program for some reason.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've carried the Military for a few years as an EDC, back when it was my second spydie. It was and still is great. The only thing I missed on the Military was a 4-way clip option and it could have been just a tad smaller for my cutting chores. I also would have like to see a little less easy access to the liner lock, to prevent unintentional closing. In other words, if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a Paramilitary 2. The full liners do make it feel a little heavier for its size than the Millie.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

I agree with the comment above that if you're going to sea, you should seriously look into Spyderco's Salt series (I like my Pacific Salt, and I'm near or on saltwater nearly every day). FWIW, I carry a Military as an EDC in my daily backpack, but found it a tad too big for my in-the-pocket EDC. For that, I prefer the Endura, the Paramilitary2, or my trusty Delica FFG. Best wishes!
JD Spydo

Thinking the same thing myself

Post by JD Spydo »

It's interesting that you would pose this question at this time. Because I just changed EDCs about 4 months ago and the Military was the runner up to the one I elected to use on a daily basis. Currently I'm carrying the Sprint C-60, G-10 handled Massad Ayoob model. But it was a very close decision because at that time I had also obtained a Military model with the XHP steel>> and I may still go ahead and add it to my rotation at some point.

I do love the Military model and I've EDCed one before. I used to have one of the older 440V full Spyderedged versions of the Military model that I carried quite a bit at one time and I liked it a lot.

I do wish that at some point they would bring back a full Spyderedged version of the Military. If everything goes my way in the next month I might just go ahead and add my XHP Military to my rotation.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

P.S. Just go ahead and buy a Millie and a Paramillie2, and then do your own comparison. Good excuse to buy two great Spydies!
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Military is imo Spyderco's greatest model.

I EDC every single day for the last two years.

It does everything.

Its light.

Its fantastic.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

When I first got a PM2 I could not imagine a better EDC. Nowadays I carry the Military even more often than the PM2! There is one in my pocket right now. You owe it to yourself to at least try one.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I usually carry one of my Military's as my EDC, they carry nice and flat and they are light weight for the size.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

For me, the PM2 is the perfect size for my hand and it is the perfect pocket knife. The comp lock just adds more personality to the PM2.

I must be getting fat cos now I like the additional real estate on the Military handle. It is more comfortable in hand. Though I did not think that I would like any other knife more than the PM2, the Military has sort of pushed all other blades out of my pocket for the past few months.

I used my Millie today to slice some beef very thin to make some honey mustard skewered beef. The ease of cutting with that thin blade is just great.

I have been thinking about the Fluted Ti Millie for some time now. I may just get one.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I had one that I liked, but it was too big for me to carry daily.

I can get away with a Stretch or Caly 3.5 at work, but the Military was just too much.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I have carried a millie (PS or S) since 1997 - I was amazed by the amount of blade you get for the weight... It was in competition with a large Goddard, but for the last ten years... nothing but the millie...
just be careful who you open it around...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
phaust

Post by phaust »

PanChango wrote:I had one that I liked, but it was too big for me to carry daily.

I can get away with a Stretch or Caly 3.5 at work, but the Military was just too much.
Same here. I've tried and tried but can't carry mine often. I carry knives with 5" handle all the time, but that extra half inch of handle, although it doesn't seem much, makes it uncomfortable in the pocket. Clipped to the belt is fine, but I don't carry knives like that most of the time. I love the Military but not when it's in my pocket :(
Exile.

Post by Exile. »

Thanks for the opinions, everyone.
As a quick note, I carry my knives tip down. I just prefer it for some reason. And I have been looking at the Salt series and plan to snap one up as soon as they offer a model with bolted together construction. To me pinned is a deal-breaker
Have:
Endura 4, Tenacious, Paramilitary 2

Want:
Dodo, CF Stretch, Military, Gayle Bradley, Tasman Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

The Military is my favorite Spyderco, and I regularly carry one in my EDC rotation, in fact, I have carried one for the past week, except when working outside and I then carried a serrated Endura. I didn't even know about this model a year or so ago, and now have 6 Military models:

(1) An LE run with the CF handles and M390 steel blade,
(2) A digi-cam G-10 handled one with black PE S30V blade,
(3) A combo edge model with black G-10 grips and a stainless S30V blade,
(4) A black G-10 handled one with a stainless PE blade in S30V,
(5) A black G-10 handled, fully serrated model, with stainless S30V steel blade,
(6) An older used fully serrated model with black G-10 grips and a 440V blade (on its way to me from the seller)

I am a decent size guy (6'2" not over or underweight) and have no problem EDCing the knife or handling it (I have fairly long fingers and wear size large gloves though), and the weight is less than my other usual EDC knives in my rotation, usually Emersons and Benchmades. I don't notice any difference in my pocket from an Endura.

So (IMO) unless you are very small in stature do it doesn't fit your pocket or have small hands that the larger handle would be uncomfortable in, the knife will make you a very good carry piece.
I am one of the 0.45%.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have 6 myself.

S90V CF
M390 CF
2X CTS XHP
S30V Black G10
S30V Camo G10
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Here's my $0.02... I've carried a Millie quite a bit over the past couple of years (orange G10 model), but it has slowly seen less and less pocket time. First off, I can't carry it during the workday - too big for my line of work (office environment). This automatically relegates it to weekend/home carry and as a camping knife. I carried the Millie several times camping and have found it just a tad too big for my taste. Something about the size of the handle in my pocket just makes it too cumbersome to be comfortable.

I've basically replaced the Millie with my Para2s (I've got way too many of these...). Everything I need to do with the Millie, I seem to be able to handle with the Para2 - and for me, the ergos and "pocket fit" are much better with the Para2.

I love my Millie to death - but I just don't carry it as much as I used to...

TedP
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I work in an office environment with a "no dangerous weapon" policy -- my knives are tools, not weapons, and are within the length allowed by Texas law (under 5.5") but to keep from alarming others in the office, I tend to carry my knives in my pocket, not clipped (except my caly 3.5 is clipped in waistband but with the deep carry clip it's not really visible).

Today in my back pocket I have my chocolate (brown) XHP millie. The CF M390 is my favorite but I like them all. But if I need to cut something around others in the office, I always also have ladybugs, etc, which I can open and use without anyone even seeing the knife. I love the size of the millie, and comfort of the grip, light weight. To me it is perfect for EDC, at least when complemented with a smaller blade when needed around the "sheeple". That's not to say I don't like the PM2 (I have a "few" of them :D ).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Here in Texas as well. And I do the "same" - my main EDC is the CF M390 millie, but I carry a ZDP-189 DragonFly 2 as my "small" and less intimidating knife ;)

If not worried about using my knife I might carry a CTS-20CP PM2 as my "small" blade :)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I love large folders, the military is one of my favorites! My only Millie is the fluted titanium model (poor me huh?) and it's the smoothest deploying and closing knife I own, even above my sebenza! I also carry a police 3 spyderedge, so the size is not an issue for me. (and I cannot wait for the ulize and szabo folders! ). The only endura I have is a waved model, and I'd say the military and police 3 carry just as easily. Buy away! Oh and howes has the non fluted titanium frame lock Millie for a great price right now