Did you know: The Tuff is a fighting knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I can't see why it wouldn't be able to chop someone's head off. If that's your thing.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Tuff is a single-focus self-defense blade? Well, I guess I'll have to buy one then. But what will I do with my current SD Ladybug, hmmm? I mean, you can't beat the Ladybug as a primary SD blade. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Any adept martial artist will require to practice wax on and wax off with their thumb in order to prepare for the Tuff as a SD carry option. This is to enhance the rapidity of deployment. The Tuff can also be thrown closed to incur devastating damage on a target only as a last resort.

I am glad that I don't use mine for SD. :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

"... heavy is good, heavy is sign of reliability. If it does not work you can always hit him with it!"

SD at it's best.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Isn't it supposed to be hard to open? Not exactly ideal :rolleyes:
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

It gets easier to open. You can hold it by the fuller and spydie drop it too.

I don't think it will ever open as easy as a Military or Para 2, but that's okay. I like the extra detent. I stabbed myself in the butt once putting my Millie in my back pocket when it had opened up a bit.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Military would be more of an SD type knife IMO.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

When Ed was first envisioning the Tuff, he wanted a name that represented the knife well. Fortunately, I talked him out of the name "Splenectomy".

(apologies to Ed)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
MCM

Post by MCM »

It wasn't easy convincing Ed that "Tuff" better suited this knife than what he had planned.
The "Schempp Slayer".....

Also, apology to Ed.
See you at Shot Show.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I really like the idea of the Tuff, and its construction.
I'd like a chance to handle one.

That being said, I'm not crazy about the Tuff itself.
Not a fan of the choil and overall length of the blade.

I'd like to see something similar with longer blade.

Really dig the fuller though.
KaliGman

Tuff

Post by KaliGman »

kbuzbee wrote:Just watched a video where a guy was showing self defense techniques with a Balance! A Tuff is a broad sword compared to that little guy ;)

Ken
That was probably me in the video. I haven't checked in awhile, but I think I had the first (and only unless someone else decided to play with one) martial arts usage video of the Balance up on YouTube and on my Albo Kali Silat website. Really, without a lot of experience in some old Filipino and/or Indonesian systems of combat, you will not be getting the best use out of the Balance. It can still do some very good work, you just won't get the same kind of results that someone like I would get. Ed sees the Balance as a good hideout knife, particularly for ladies, (in addition to being a good gentleman's folder) and I can see his point, as it can do good work in this role.

All of Ed's designs have combat applications, mainly because of the superb ergonomics of his designs. You also have to realize that Ed has been around some very good martial blade users and instructors, has made custom pieces for some very well known instructors, and has lived and worked with people who used knives as tools and weapons interchangeably. Ed has studied various blade intensive cultures for his "ethnic knives." He also tests his knives in a variety of usages,has others test them and see what they can do with them, and is constantly talking with people whom he considers knowledgeable in martial usage of the blade.

I have not been posting videos much lately, due to the high work load I have had in my law enforcement job (my task force has been ridiculously busy), and the fact that most of the combat instruction I have been doing lately has been for law enforcement agencies only. However, Ed contacted me this week, and I can assure you I will be posting a video that shows a lot more than merely how to open the Tuff quickly.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

That was you? Very cool! Smooth quick movements my friend. Nothing these large slow arms of mine could manage.

I loved the comparison with the large combat knife ;)

Still, I'm loving the Balance for more humble EDC tasks.

All you say about Ed is spot on from what I know and it how's in his work. Outstanding pieces.

Looking forward to the Tuff vid when you post it.

Cheers,

Ken
玉鋼
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I really am impressed with the fit/finish of the Tuff... beautifully done! I have never purchased a 'Taichung' spydie that I wasn't extremely happy with! those guys are as good as anyone in the world!
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

KaliGman wrote:That was probably me in the video. I haven't checked in awhile, but I think I had the first (and only unless someone else decided to play with one) martial arts usage video of the Balance up on YouTube and on my Albo Kali Silat website. Really, without a lot of experience in some old Filipino and/or Indonesian systems of combat, you will not be getting the best use out of the Balance. It can still do some very good work, you just won't get the same kind of results that someone like I would get. Ed sees the Balance as a good hideout knife, particularly for ladies, (in addition to being a good gentleman's folder) and I can see his point, as it can do good work in this role.

All of Ed's designs have combat applications, mainly because of the superb ergonomics of his designs. You also have to realize that Ed has been around some very good martial blade users and instructors, has made custom pieces for some very well known instructors, and has lived and worked with people who used knives as tools and weapons interchangeably. Ed has studied various blade intensive cultures for his "ethnic knives." He also tests his knives in a variety of usages,has others test them and see what they can do with them, and is constantly talking with people whom he considers knowledgeable in martial usage of the blade.

I have not been posting videos much lately, due to the high work load I have had in my law enforcement job (my task force has been ridiculously busy), and the fact that most of the combat instruction I have been doing lately has been for law enforcement agencies only. However, Ed contacted me this week, and I can assure you I will be posting a video that shows a lot more than merely how to open the Tuff quickly.
Seeing your reply prompted me to look up the vid you did. I don't know of the styles that you spoke of or demonstrated but they seem effective.

I can understand how the Tuff could be used very effectively for combat. What I don't get is how the balance could be properly gripped to fight with.

Anyway, look forward to the Tuff video.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

KaliGman wrote:That was probably me in the video. I haven't checked in awhile, but I think I had the first (and only unless someone else decided to play with one) martial arts usage video of the Balance up on YouTube and on my Albo Kali Silat website. Really, without a lot of experience in some old Filipino and/or Indonesian systems of combat, you will not be getting the best use out of the Balance. It can still do some very good work, you just won't get the same kind of results that someone like I would get. Ed sees the Balance as a good hideout knife, particularly for ladies, (in addition to being a good gentleman's folder) and I can see his point, as it can do good work in this role.

With a promotion and transfer, selling a house and getting ready to move to Virginia, I have been busy. However, I did do a couple of videos with the Tuff. Both will posted on the Albo Kali Silat website soon. In the interim, the first video is already up on my (KaliGman) YouTube channel. I will load the second Tuff video up on YouTube after I get both of the videos posted on http://www.albokalisilat.org.

Take care and train hard.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Great video! I don't think people generally realize how well Ed's designs are tailored to Kali, eskrima, silat until they practice one of those arts. His blade angling alone make the act of a crossada and a crossada in reverse grip nearly perfect.

KaliGMan, I'd love to read your thoughts on trapping with one of these knives. I don't know how to pull that off well.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Sig worthy!!
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
BAL

Post by BAL »

In some cultures, the Schempp Rock is a gentlemans knife.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

That was great knife-handling on that video.