How to deal with (minor) rust?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikerestivo

How to deal with (minor) rust?

Post by mikerestivo »

Hi folks -

I have been carrying my Matriarch during my bike rides for about 3 months now. The blade started showing some surface rust spots a few weeks ago.

I bought and used Tuf-Glide on it and it seemed to stop it for awhile.

This past week a few more rust spots appeared. I would like to remove them. Is it best to use a fine steel wool? I have never had to deal with rust on a nice pocket knife before. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I read on this forum that a pencil eraser will work, too. Is that true?

I have never used Tuf-Glide before now. How often should it be reapplied?

Thanks -

Mike
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Try a metal polish like Flitz, Simichrome or Super Premium. I would clean and oil it every time your knife comes in contact with a corrosive substance. (sweat, saltwater etc)
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For really minor rust spots, I've had good results using copper polish. This was before I hade a selection of real metal polishes like mentioned above. It still does the trick for minor rust spots without making the rest of the blade all shiny.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Once you remove the rust, it might be wise to keep it off by not carrying the knife in a place where it touches corrosive substances. Perhaps carrying it in a bag instead of in pocket/IWB.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dgulbra wrote:Try a metal polish like Flitz, Simichrome or Super Premium. I would clean and oil it every time your knife comes in contact with a corrosive substance. (sweat, saltwater etc)
I'm not only a big fan of the Flitz polishing products I'm also a big fan of their polishing cloths as well. I was amazed the first time I used one of Flitz's microfiber polishing cloths. It truly did make a big difference.

Now for extremely stubborn rust the next step I would try is to take some Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser with a polishing cloth. It's totally different than Ajax or Comet and has more of a chemical type cleaning and polishing action which does not scratch up your blade like many cleansers do. I've done some great rust removals with Bar Keeper's Friend and I use it for many cleaning and polishing chores.

Flitz has a great line up of products. Everyone of their products I've tried I've had good success with.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
PocketZen

Post by PocketZen »

dgulbra wrote:Try a metal polish like Flitz, Simichrome or Super Premium. I would clean and oil it every time your knife comes in contact with a corrosive substance. (sweat, saltwater etc)
+1
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Really, no suggestions for using Coke a cola to eat off the rust? Let it sit in the stuff overnight, itll eat rust off anything (incluing the battery terminals of a car battery)
MisterJeff

Post by MisterJeff »

For minor rust, I've used baking soda, a bit of water, and an old toothbrush pretty successfully on a few of my blades (cheap, something everybody already has, and obviously non toxic).
Sage 1 Manix2 XL, Endura4, Pacific Salt, Tenacious, Dragonfly2 Salt, Ladybug
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MisterJeff wrote:For minor rust, I've used baking soda, a bit of water, and an old toothbrush pretty successfully on a few of my blades (cheap, something everybody already has, and obviously non toxic).
That's extremely interesting that you would bring up baking soda of all things. My mother always used a combination of baking soda and salt to clean up stainless steel and copper bottom cooking pans and it seemed to do a beautiful job. Also I use toothbrushes on many of my cleaning and polishing chores. Where I'm working I currently can get just about all of the toothbrushes ( most of them used once) that I want. I have about a 5 gallon bucket of them now and I look to eventually use them all for some type of cleaning or polishing job.

It is truly amazing a lot of the things you can do with some of the most simple things around us. Also I use toothpaste for many cleaning and prep jobs as well. And it seems like the cheaper the brand of toothpaste the better it works.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!