Yo 2 opening technique vids?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Yo 2 opening technique vids?

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

For those of you who've had some time with your Yo2 can you post vids of your fast deployment from the pocket? Thanks.

I'm really having trouble opening it reliably. Especially with wet or damp hands. Opening it fast feels like walking on a slippery floor. I'd like see what you guys do and maybe I can incorporate it into my method of opening.

When I carry it, I try to open it fast when I have the chance. Opening it cold, I flub it more than 30 percent of the time. That makes it no go for SD.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I don't have a Yo2 yet. :(

However I have the same issue with the Tuff. It's just too hard to open quickly.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I don't have a Yo2 yet. :(

However I have the same issue with the Tuff. It's just too hard to open quickly.
I probably wouldn't mind it if it were not an SD knife KS. I really like the Yo2 when it's open and that's why I'm sticking with trying to learn how to open reliably.
cevtv

Post by cevtv »

Mike designed it so that when carried tip-up, your thumb lands directly on the hole when you grab and draw it. There is nothing about this knife that wasn't thoroughly thought out. Every bit of the design was done for a reason. In my opinion, the Yojimbo 2 is the pinnacle of defensive knife design.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I just got mine. The trick seems to be to slide your thumb across that shelf hollowed in the G10 next to it as you open the blade. So in other words, instead of putting your thumb into the hole first, then trying to rotate the blade (which will often slip because the hole is partially obscured by the scale). Press your thumb on that shelf and then slide into the opening hole which lets you rotate it open the rest of the way reliably.

In practice it's quick. Just slide across that shelf. From that angle it allows the hole to grab your thumb.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

cevtv wrote:Mike designed it so that when carried tip-up, your thumb lands directly on the hole when you grab and draw it. There is nothing about this knife that wasn't thoroughly thought out. Every bit of the design was done for a reason. In my opinion, the Yojimbo 2 is the pinnacle of defensive knife design.
I know that that's supposed to be the idea but my thumb is nowhere near the area where it has to be for me to be able to open it. The target area for the thumb seems to me to be much smaller than most other knives.
Carlos wrote:I just got mine. The trick seems to be to slide your thumb across that shelf hollowed in the G10 next to it as you open the blade. So in other words, instead of putting your thumb into the hole first, then trying to rotate the blade (which will often slip because the hole is partially obscured by the scale). Press your thumb on that shelf and then slide into the opening hole which lets you rotate it open the rest of the way reliably.

In practice it's quick. Just slide across that shelf. From that angle it allows the hole to grab your thumb.
As I mentioned, the target area for the thumb is quite small and if I miss by just a bit, my thumb just slides across the hole just opening the blade partially.

I"d like to see vids of how you guys do it drawing from the pocket into ready position. I really like the Yo2 when it's already open and locked and that's why I'm trying hard to make the deployment work.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I use my middle finger, behind the blade, to reach the spyderhole on the other side and flick it open. Its something I have been doing for a while, and can with most spyders. I find that because of the occluded hole, this method seems to be fastest for me. The angle at which my middle finger comes in from behind is much better than the one my thumb has to use when flickiing it open. When I use my thumb to flick it open, I have to flick hard and to the left. Ill try to get a video up. You would think that this being a SD knife, fast deployment would have been a priority. But unless I use my middle finge method, this is my slowest, and most cumbersome to open knife I own. (but I really have no problem using my alternative method, I find I now do it when I pick up that knife without thinking.

I guess training is very helpful when it comes to these things. Or "knifesturbating" as I once heard it called... lol

*edit - Heres the vid of my technique. Shot quickly with my Iphone. ITs not working at the moment, but I assume it might take a while for an embedded video to be available. I dont know... If the video still doesnt work just follow this link:
http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... G_0947.mp4

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1220.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd460%2FLowcountryburl%2FIMG_0947.mp4">
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks for the vid DC, I guess it works for you. I can flick with my thumb or middle finger but I prefer not to. Maybe the Yo2 just doesn't work with a normal controlled opening with the thumb. Anyhow, a controlled opening is how I practice with my SD and we do find that it's one of the least likely to flub methods while somebody is trying to come at us.

Is flicking the only method or is flicking open what the Yo2 was designed for? If the Yo2 was designed to be flicked open, then I fear that I will never make it work. I do prefer a fixed blade pakal as an SD knife but a folder is much more convenient to carry.

When I started with eskrima, I first used standard Filipino or saber grip, but I slowly transitioned to RGEI which I prefer now. The transition came about because my confidence in some folders to inflict the necessary damage for stops was shaken after our own cutting tests and cutting dummy sessions.

The blade shape and the ergos of the Yo2 have made me want to practice in both kinds of grips because I just feel that the blade shape will perform as designed and will inflict enough damage to stop an aggressor.

For those not of the SD mind set, I apologize for what might be brutal language.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks for the vid DC, I guess it works for you. I can flick with my thumb or middle finger but I prefer not to. Maybe the Yo2 just doesn't work with a normal controlled opening with the thumb. Anyhow, a controlled opening is how I practice with my SD and we do find that it's one of the least likely to flub methods while somebody is trying to come at us.

Is flicking the only method or is flicking open what the Yo2 was designed for? If the Yo2 was designed to be flicked open, then I fear that I will never make it work. I do prefer a fixed blade pakal as an SD knife but a folder is much more convenient to carry.

When I started with eskrima, I first used standard Filipino or saber grip, but I slowly transitioned to RGEI which I prefer now. The transition came about because my confidence in some folders to inflict the necessary damage for stops was shaken after our own cutting tests and cutting dummy sessions.

The blade shape and the ergos of the Yo2 have made me want to practice in both kinds of grips because I just feel that the blade shape will perform as designed and will inflict enough damage to stop an aggressor.

For those not of the SD mind set, I apologize for what might be brutal language.
So you just thumb it open? I have no problem doing that. You might want to consider modding one of the scales to better expose the hole if nothing else works for you. Good luck !
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Chuck you might want to just lock up that bad boy in the FB position and carry it opened already....Makes the most sense to me, I'm hearing that lots of people are having the same problem with fast deployment....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DCDesigns wrote:So you just thumb it open? I have no problem doing that. You might want to consider modding one of the scales to better expose the hole if nothing else works for you. Good luck !
Yeh, one of the guys in chat suggested that. It might be a good idea.
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Chuck you might want to just lock up that bad boy in the FB position and carry it opened already....Makes the most sense to me, I'm hearing that lots of people are having the same problem with fast deployment....Doc :)
I may have to come to grips with the fact that the Yo2 just isn't for me doc. I'm the kind of person that usually finds a way around deficiencies in my gear. I do it with my shooting gear and I do it with my knives but it's been several months since I got the Yo2 and I still haven't found a satisfactory way. Trying to open it fast is extremely disconcerting to me. As one guy said, I'm a lost cause.

Probably just needs more jimping. :p
Mystro

Post by Mystro »

I use my thumb to open mind. I don't see too much of a difference between this and the PM2. The motion is more strait but the blade rockets out. Spydie drops all that is the same. The Sebenza is a PIA to open.. So much so, I couldn't justify keeping one around.

vaa

Post by vaa »

I just got mine today and although I haven't practiced for SD opening yet, I do find the detent to be really strong in holding the blade in the closed position. I know it will loosen up a bit with opening and closing so time will tell.

I'm used to opening my Pikal so this is a bit different.
vaa

Post by vaa »

I just got mine today and although I haven't practiced for SD opening yet, I do find the detent to be really strong in holding the blade in the closed position. I know it will loosen up a bit with opening and closing so time will tell.
vaa

Post by vaa »

I'm really used to opening my Pikal so this is a big change so far.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Mystro wrote:I use my thumb to open mind. I don't see too much of a difference between this and the PM2. The motion is more strait but the blade rockets out. Spydie drops all that is the same. The Sebenza is a PIA to open.. So much so, I couldn't justify keeping one around.

Do you flick it out with your thumb?
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Michael Janich said that his preffered way is the inertial opening so i think that might work if u train for it...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

speedcut wrote:Michael Janich said that his preffered way is the inertial opening so i think that might work if u train for it...
Yep, inertial opening is most reliable for me. I just don't prefer it. As I mentioned in previous posts, my preference is a controlled opening with the thumb.

I've already accepted that the Yo2 is not for me. I'm back to carrying what I consider the best folder for my SD needs. I'll just have to see how the Yo2 works as a utility EDC some day when I can get up the resolve to leave my millie, my various paras, or my SB Caly, or my GB, or my blue stretch in the drawer.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Is the hole sharp enough? I ask because my Para 2 is not, and I'll have to make it right when I get around to it. I find it a bit fumbly just because of that. I have big thumbs and sharper holes just work way better.

- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jazz wrote:Is the hole sharp enough? I ask because my Para 2 is not, and I'll have to make it right when I get around to it. I find it a bit fumbly just because of that. I have big thumbs and sharper holes just work way better.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I think it is sharp enough, it's probably just the scale that's occluding the hole that prevents the meat of my thumb from getting proper purchase on the hole. A couple of guys suggested modding the scale to reveal more of the hole. I'll probably do that one day and see if it will address the issues I have.