First Spyderco....and problems?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi CaliMarine,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Sorry for problem and your disappointment. Strange problem, but we can't comment without seeing the model. Maybe you got the one Vince had back last August. ;) Can't say as we've had this problem except for you and Vince and we've sold tens of thousands of the model. I guess you can send it back where you got it or you can send it to us. Either way, we'll take care of you.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I totally have that attitude but fortunately, my tenacious and persistence just happen to be near flawless. Maybe under expecting is a good idea though. :D
Yeah, from what I've read that is usually the norm, extremely high quality knives and excellent value.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
CaliMarine

Post by CaliMarine »

Thanks Jack. Sounds like great advice. Yes, all have come from the same dealer(knifecenter.com). They are 'AM' coded so can't be too old. They're getting pissed with my exchanges im sure. I did just blast the **** out of this new one with soapy water and hit it once again with tuf-glide. Will lay it out overnight and see how she sounds tomorrow. If she still wakes the neighbors I may have to take your advice although it pisses me off that I have to invest more money to send it back to spyderco knowing they may simply send it back saying it's "in spec"! While i'm complaining, the g-10 is a bit of a disappointment, quite faded and dull.
CaliMarine

Post by CaliMarine »

Thank you Sal. I appreciate that. I will give it a bit more effort and see how she progresses.
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

This is so weird to me, people reporting squeaking pivots on Spyderco knives. I've never heard so much as a peep from any of mine.

The OP asked briefly about the Manix 2 line, and all I can say in response is:
GET ONE!!

I have a Manix 2 and a 2 XL now, and they are my two favorites in my modest collection.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I just read Sal's friendly reply and I have to say again, Spyderco is awesome! :)

I've never needed W&R but it's super nice to know that a company that truly cares about customer satisfaction is there if I ever do.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
CaliMarine

Post by CaliMarine »

Well it looks like I will be sending her back on Monday to Golden. Squeaking and tactical apps dont mix well. I, also have never had a w/r issue with any of my spydercos either including 4 other tenacious models. This complaint has been coming up evidently on other forums/sites and some seem to suggest detent ball issues. When you start talking about balls and detents you're rapidly getting out of my comfort zone.....lol. I will keep this forum(and others) abreast of what happens, how long it takes, and what the resolution turns out to be. Let's see how well trained Sal's people are!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wish you the best but the demeanor leads me to believe it won't be.

The president of the company personally let you know he would take care of things and your sneaking a few hooks in? People make mistakes occasionally, cause...they are people.

Like I said, best of luck :) .
Spidero

Post by Spidero »

My new Tenacious squeaked like a rusty old gate, right out of the box. Never had any knife do that. Also, the deployment ease was the worst of any knife I own. I emailed Spyderco. They said to send it back to them (at my expense) for evaluation. Turnaround time would have been 3 - 4 weeks. Frankly, they didn't seem to give a ****. After reading all the "cures" in this thread that worked for some and not for others, I decided to send it back to Amazon for a refund. My first and probably last Spyderco product!

Note: I did look at a PM2 recently. Great deployment. No squeaks. Cool lock. Very nice except point looks like it would break off in no time and price is quadruple the cost of my Rat 1. No thanks, Spyderco.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spidero wrote:My new Tenacious squeaked like a rusty old gate, right out of the box. Never had any knife do that. Also, the deployment ease was the worst of any knife I own. I emailed Spyderco. They said to send it back to them (at my expense) for evaluation. Turnaround time would have been 3 - 4 weeks. Frankly, they didn't seem to give a ****. After reading all the "cures" in this thread that worked for some and not for others, I decided to send it back to Amazon for a refund. My first and probably last Spyderco product!

Note: I did look at a PM2 recently. Great deployment. No squeaks. Cool lock. Very nice except point looks like it would break off in no time and price is quadruple the cost of my Rat 1. No thanks, Spyderco.
There are quite a few fixes to a squeaky knife that don't always require it to be disassembled or mailing in a knife. Cleaning, greasing, etc. Since you tried none of them and this isn't a Caly3 (not even functionally close), it's no surprise it remained squeaky.

Most warranties require you to pay the initial cost to transport a product until it's found defective by a W&R employee. Every automotive aftermarket warranty and most factory extended warranties. I've even had it happen once on a bumper-to-bumper factory warranty before.

Return warranties are pretty guaranteed. Some people even buy in bulk and send back the least flawed product. I've purchased well over 50 Spydies and have only returned one of them so tend to trust the odds.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I don't see anything off on that knife. Looks fine, other than the clip paint. I don't expect the clip paint to be all that tough anyway. I'm surprised the paint on my Tasman Clip has lasted this long for the most part. Its scratched all to ****. but I don't mind. It gives it character. The squeaking has only occurred when their isn't any/enough lube in there in my experience.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
mattman

Post by mattman »

Hey, Spidero

Does the car dealership reimburse you for fuel when you bring your car in for warrantee service?

I didn't think so.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Wow I didn't think someone would register on a product specific forum just to complain. Positive criticism is great but negative reviews/statements like this on the forum will not sway 99 percent of the members here because we love Sal and the spyderco team for how they treat us.

Thank you for the great products and service!
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

klug932000 wrote:Wow I didn't think someone would register on a product specific forum just to complain. Positive criticism is great but negative reviews/statements like this on the forum will not sway 99 percent of the members here because we love Sal and the spyderco team for how they treat us.

Thank you for the great products and service!
While I agree that unreasonable negativity is extremely unlikely to change anyone's mind about the quality of Spyderco's products and staff, I don't find the idea of someone joining a manufacturer's forum just to complain surprising at all. Just the opposite, in fact. In my experience, the two most frequent reasons people join any brand-specific forum is to ask a question and to air a grievance. Some know how to ask for help politely, and generally have an excellent forum experience. Some have legitimate questions or problems, but no social skills. Sometimes those get helped, despite their attitude, sometimes the rudeness is overwhelming. Then there are those who couple unreasonable expectations with an abrasive personality. Those folks generally leave quickly, if not always quietly.

On the bright side, the person who started this thread over a year and a half ago seemed satisfied with the responses he got.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have about twelve or fifteen Spyderco's and fortunately every one of them is perfect. However the whole problem here may be that there's no way to connect the knife with the people who worked on and assembled it they realize this and don't care. Every job I ever had where it be in the clothing business, the building and high voltage wire business and working at a distribution center for one of the worlds largest retailers there was always a way to link the finished product to everyone who had touched it. Whether it be through a ticket or information entered into a computer there was always a way.