Issue with Para2 Tip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unbrokenchain33

Issue with Para2 Tip?

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

I am new to knives. I am not sure if I found something wrong with the tip of my blade or if I am making it up.

I have a brand new orange Para 2. I was running my finger along the edge, and on the front side, at the very tip I feel something. It is very tiny, but I can still feel a little something there. It is only evident on the one, front side. When looking at it you can see a little protrusion but only when looking very closely. It feels like on the one side there is a teeny piece of extra steel or something. Hard to see with the naked eye, and could only use my iPad to take a photo so if someone needs to see it I can shoot them an email.

I am wondering if this is normal, or something I should take care of? Something I should send in, or a quick fix at home.

Seems very minor, but definitely is bothering me. Also don't want to have to send my brand new knife back just yet.
APS

Post by APS »

Welcome! Hard to tell without a pic...if it's on the cutting edge, maybe it will sharpen away with a few strokes?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Hey, what you are describing is a burr. its quite common on some knives, though rare on a spyder (depending on what factory made it, my italian Lionspy came with NO tip). Its fairly easy to remedy if you have sharpeing stones. If not, here is your chance to invest! I suggest a sharpmaker as your first sharpener, and then a good norton 220/1000 grit bench water stone for learning to freehand. The norton will also be better for grinding off that burr. Go make a photobucket account, upload a photo of it, then post the "IMG" code in the text box here and we can determin the best way for you to fix it. Otherwise its hard to make a suggestion. Hope this helps! -DC
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Definitely a burr. Take your fingernail and gently run it down the length of the edge slowly and you'll feel any nicks or burrs that you can't see by eye. You can also hold the edge directly under a light and you'll see shiny spots where they are. Time to sharpen it. It's not uncommon for a brand new knife to have some edge blemishes..it's not COMMON but it does happen. I just bought a Yojimbo 2 that had some chips along the edge...not a big deal, they all get sharpened eventually.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Evil D wrote:Definitely a burr. Take your fingernail and gently run it down the length of the edge slowly and you'll feel any nicks or burrs that you can't see by eye. You can also hold the edge directly under a light and you'll see shiny spots where they are. Time to sharpen it. It's not uncommon for a brand new knife to have some edge blemishes..it's not COMMON but it does happen. I just bought a Yojimbo 2 that had some chips along the edge...not a big deal, they all get sharpened eventually.
if all I want to to do is remove the burr, is it ok to just use this:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/pocketstone-fine.aspx
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Unbroken,

One of my Enduras came with a burr about 1/2 inch from the tip. I rubbed it VERY LIGHTLY on a fine stone 2-3 times and that seemed to take care of it. I later touched it up on a Sharpmaker and got a little better result.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:if all I want to to do is remove the burr, is it ok to just use this:

http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/pocketstone-fine.aspx

If you know how to sharpen freehand, yes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cckw

Post by cckw »

it is a burr as others have said. no big deal, a tiny piece that was supposed to be removed. take the knife and swipe it backwards on cardboard that should clean it up. In case that didn't make sense, you know the angle you would place it on your arm to shave hair, right. put it on cardboard at that angle go the other direction. do a couple times, running several inches and be sure you are getting the full length. then the do the other side. each side a couple times and a few cycles of that. Then see how you like it.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome unbrokenchain33 :) Enjoy the forum and learn as much as you can :)

Small imperfections in the edge happen with production edges. What you describe is minor and from what I understand should only take an "edge cleanup" to fix.

FYI, I didn't know anything about sharpening or edge maintenance when I joined the forum :eek: The good folks here have helped me to become reasonably proficient and capable of creating, then maintaining my own edges despite my complete lack of natural skill :D The ability to sharpen and maintain edges is a good thing to know if you're going to buy and play with these knives :) All of the knowledge needed to do so resides here on the forum. You'll find a great satisfaction in maintaining your own edges :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]