Schempp Rock for hard use yard work; overkill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GTPowers

Schempp Rock for hard use yard work; overkill?

Post by GTPowers »

Hello there, this'll be my first visual action on this forum. New member with a steadily growing collection. Manix2, Delica and the wife's getting a Cat and H1 Hawkbill Ladybug (because my kick *** lady needs a kick *** knife).

Moving on. I was push-mowing the apartment lot over the weekend and some thoughts came to mind. We're renters who get a good fifty bucks off rent each month for taking care of the lawn. The lawn is all we do and my landlord never stops by to do anything more than check if I've done it. But since this gentleman doesn't live with 30 miles of the apartment and hasn't for 30 years...most of the yard has serious bush over-growth.

Hench the Schempp. The Manix2 has been good for trimming back but I need something big and big enough to take a beating from hacking at the base of thick weeds. I'm talking 7 foot high crap that has no name and grows like pee in your blatter after two beers. No fun. The Schempp could stand in as a great hack and slash to clear this crap out. I love the VG10 on my Delica and can imagine it'd make a fine fixed large blade. The Schempp also fits the bill for camping, hunting, and etc.
Thoughts, my dear fellows?

Thanks!
Grant Powers
APS

Post by APS »

If I were in savings mode, I wouldn't spend months worth of the savings you are working hard to get, on a really nice knife to bang away clearing someone else's property. If you just want an excuse to buy one, then sure!! :)

If he's not going to buy you the tools, then I'd get one of those inexpensive machete-type blades from the local hardware store.
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

Hey and welcome to the forums! I am myself new aswell :) I would personally reccomend to not use a schempp rock for things like that because you dont really want to be banging such a nice blade on some crap in the garden. I would recommend getting the rock just to get it (hey, its a new spyderco to add to the collection), and then just buy a cheap cold steel/condor machete. They run for around 20$ which isnt very much at all, and save your schempp rock for some less horrid work. Just my two cents.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Thanks gents. That's what I was figuring. The place is a dump and the landlord is cheap; very orignal. "That Company That Shall Not Be Named" makes a nice "zombie killer" machete thing that isn't to pricy and could hack brush just fine. Regardless, the Schempp still calls to me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't question the Rock's ability to destroy most of what is in its path :) . As mentioned though by other posters I would feel better thrashing on something cheap.

That said. If it calls to you go for it :) . It certainly will fare better against zombies than a $20 machete! Welcome to the forums!
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Another vote for a machete. Everyone needs to own one so here is your chance.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

You dont need to buy something that nice as mentioned, plus you would do better with something with a lower hardness and probably carbon steel. BUT that doesnt mean you need to get something cheap and crappy! I highly suggest you look up Condor knife and Tool, and buy whichever floats your boat. They are great tough tools, that wont break the bank. You can save money by buying one without a sheath as well. You can thwack on them all day and you never have to worry about harming your investment. large nicks hone out easily with rough stones on machetes and hatchets.

My vote would be for a Condor knife and tool PARANG machete. That or a golok. There are also bush cultlasses and other tools they make that will all function better in your role than the rock. BUT, i think you should buy the rock anyway and use it for camping as you said. Get the southfork while you are at it, and they will make the perfect team! one for chopping one for slicing.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Need and want....need and want...need...want. Shucks. I'm sold on the Condors thou, thanks everyone!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I just spent 40 bucks and got a estwing 26in camp axe. It will take down small tree. So bushes won't be a problem.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're on the right path...now you just have to clear it. ;)

Still save up for the Rock after the machete gets there, you won't be disappointed.
:spyder:
Dan
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

GTPowers wrote:Need and want....need and want...need...want. Shucks. I'm sold on the Condors thou, thanks everyone!
You will not be disapointed sir! when I go clear some trees this fall Im going to pick up a parang
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I use mine for such tasks, and it works well. Just watch out for rocks.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

SolidState wrote:I use mine for such tasks, and it works well. Just watch out for rocks.
I ended up going for it. The blade did fantastic. Found a couple rocks :mad: so at least now I have an opportunity to practice sharpening. /facepalm
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Boom: Walked away with only a couple of nicks in the edge. In the cycle touring world, we call this "Beautifucation."

Cheers,
GT
Attachments
422223_10151199645093185_1333334915_n.jpg