I'll ask you what was asked of me...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FroOchie

I'll ask you what was asked of me...

Post by FroOchie »

My boss called me into his office today and had a YouTube vid on his screen. The video was something with Russian Systema Martial Arts and was dedicated to self defense knife usage. Narrated in Russian, I didn't understand what it said but him being a Russian emigrant and Systema practitioner he was intrigued.

Apparently somewhere in the video the former Spetznaz soldier turned Instructor recommended Spyderco knives by name. His question of me was do I know the brand and did I know a knife that was in the vid. The knife looked to be a Serrated Edged Gunting unless there is another Spyderco with that extreme thumb ramp going on. But I explained to him that as a discontinued knife he'd be paying collector prices to own one. Though he's made of money he doesn't want to part with it.

So my question of all of you is what would you recommend as a knife with the following criteria...

1. Smaller-3 inch blade or less. Serrated preferably, but I'm sure he'd be ok with sending it out to be done if the knife isn't sold that way.

2. Affordable- We'll call it $150ish or less.

3. Designed for combat. He's really looking for a fighting knife and since none of mine are really for that I don't even know the models.

Tomorrow I'm bringing him my collection to fumble through and see if there is anything he likes. I'll be trying to sell him on the Para 2's since I own them but I'll mention P'kals and maybe the Delica since it has that wave blade. I'll also bring him the Spyderco catalog to see what he may see that could work.

All in all it was cool that he asked me and asked me of this brand in particular but I'd like to recommend him something good for what his needs are so any input is appreciated.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

If you/he can find a Chinook, Chinook II or Chinook III, any of these would be an excellent option. Michael Janich has carried Delica's and Endura's for self-defensive purposes. The Yojimbo 2 is on the market now and would also be an excellent choice and I believe street price may be within your price range.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

The Lil Matriarch comes to mind. It has a sub 3" blade and the price won't make him uncomfortable. The Yojimbo 2 would a nice choice but the blade is slightly longer than 3".
:spyder:
Dan
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FroOchie wrote:The knife looked to be a Serrated Edged Gunting unless there is another Spyderco with that extreme thumb ramp going on.
Sound like Khalsa

see the bottom of the post #30
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post353487
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

**** that ramp is extreme too but this knife peaked like Gunting. It was pointy above the Spyderhole. Unless there is another blade that has that ramp and pointy peak it was definitely a Gunting.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

The design is now made by another company. http://newgraham.com/store/product/4644 ... %22-CKLLC/
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'd say Yo 2 is probably his best bet unless you wanted to do something like the Meyerco Wharning.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I agree with the Yo 2 and P'kal. I'm not really into MBC, so I don't know any others.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

jzmtl wrote:The design is now made by another company. http://newgraham.com/store/product/4644 ... %22-CKLLC/
nice, good call.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I don't know very much about Systema aside from its history with Spetznaz - as a general rule though, these sound pretty solid. The C95 Manix and Compression lock models like the ATR and Para2 are also possibilities if lock strength is a major selling point.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In general Systema isn't as tool specific as other arts. They don't even teach techniques as much as principles.

I would show him your collection and see what feels comfortable in his hand. If he wants to try some silly looking whip punches on you it might be best to politely decline ;) .
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd recommend the Mas Ayoob.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Blerv wrote: If he wants to try some silly looking whip punches on you it might be best to politely decline ;) .
haha that seriously made me LOL. When we see him practicing it with his son we call it "Macaroni arms".

And good call on the Ayoob Chuck. I forgot about that and with all of Ayoob's defensive videos on the web he may get into that one the most. He's a smaller guy, maybe 5'7ish so I think thats why he wants a smaller knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FroOchie wrote:**** that ramp is extreme too but this knife peaked like Gunting. It was pointy above the Spyderhole. Unless there is another blade that has that ramp and pointy peak it was definitely a Gunting.
Can you drop a link to youtube video?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

sure when I see him I'll ask for the link. Since I couldn't understand it and I'm not a martial artist I really glazed over it.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

FroOchie wrote:My boss called me into his office today and had a YouTube vid on his screen. The video was something with Russian Systema Martial Arts and was dedicated to self defense knife usage. Narrated in Russian, I didn't understand what it said but him being a Russian emigrant and Systema practitioner he was intrigued.

Apparently somewhere in the video the former Spetznaz soldier turned Instructor recommended Spyderco knives by name. His question of me was do I know the brand and did I know a knife that was in the vid. The knife looked to be a Serrated Edged Gunting unless there is another Spyderco with that extreme thumb ramp going on. But I explained to him that as a discontinued knife he'd be paying collector prices to own one. Though he's made of money he doesn't want to part with it.

So my question of all of you is what would you recommend as a knife with the following criteria...

1. Smaller-3 inch blade or less. Serrated preferably, but I'm sure he'd be ok with sending it out to be done if the knife isn't sold that way.

2. Affordable- We'll call it $150ish or less.

3. Designed for combat. He's really looking for a fighting knife and since none of mine are really for that I don't even know the models.

Tomorrow I'm bringing him my collection to fumble through and see if there is anything he likes. I'll be trying to sell him on the Para 2's since I own them but I'll mention P'kals and maybe the Delica since it has that wave blade. I'll also bring him the Spyderco catalog to see what he may see that could work.

All in all it was cool that he asked me and asked me of this brand in particular but I'd like to recommend him something good for what his needs are so any input is appreciated.
Not entirely sure, but Im pretty sure you cannot serrate a PE knife very easily. The dificulty/cost of doing so would out weigh the benefit IMO. You could buy a serrated and plain version of the knife for the cost of custom work like that. Unless you plan on doing it yourself.

Personally, I would really suggest checking out the Szabo folder when it comes out for him. And in the meantime, I would suggest a military, paramilitary, or if he wants serrated a c12, or a SE police 3.

PS, sounds like you have a cool boss!
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

bh49 wrote:Can you drop a link to youtube video?

Ok here's the Video... http://youtu.be/KV9vzLTy3rA

You'll see the knife on the catalog he's holding at 18:13 or there abouts.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea looks like a Gunting. If he could find one it would be expensive. A serrated Para1 or Stretch FRN is going to be easier to attain or at least cheaper.

Frankly the Gunting is one of the most debated knives in the line-up for defense. It has an esoteric methodology and some (not all!) feel a tad contrived for the 3"ish blade. I'm sure any skilled practionier of any art could use it or develop their own understanding of it...I just think there are better/cheaper options. Especially of your not heck-bent on kinetic openings and using the horn as an impact device/restraint tool.

I personally think the Superhawk/Superleaf handle is one of the most comfortable and intuitive to deploy handles in the lineup. Makes sense as its the size of a shoe :p jk.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FroOchie wrote:Ok here's the Video... http://youtu.be/KV9vzLTy3rA

You'll see the knife on the catalog he's holding at 18:13 or there abouts.
This is Gunting in PE
And the guy looks like Putin

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I would say Mas Ayoob in any config, Adventura, Chinook I and II, Yojimbo 1, Waved Endura..............Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*