VG10 vs...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

VG10 vs...

Post by Wolverine666 »

I have never used or owned a knife with VG10. Which other steels is it comparable to ? Does it hold a nice edge for a while ?

I have much experience with 154CM. Is VG10 a similar grade stainless steel to 154CM ?
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Not sure but there are plenty specs in Spyderco's catalogs.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Wolverine666 wrote:I have never used or owned a knife with VG10. Which other steels is it comparable to ? Does it hold a nice edge for a while ?

I have much experience with 154CM. Is VG10 a similar grade stainless steel to 154CM ?
154CM and Vg-10 are very similar. I tend to prefer 154CM a little bit. But overall they are nearly identical.
On the hunt for...
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I've been checking out a couple Spydies and both have VG-10 blades (SuperLeaf and 75mm Persian2). Just checking to see what people think of the steel before I pull the trigger.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Wolverine666 wrote:I've been checking out a couple Spydies and both have VG-10 blades (SuperLeaf and 75mm Persian2). Just checking to see what people think of the steel before I pull the trigger.
VG-10 is a very good steel IMO. It will stay sharp nicely and is easy to sharpen. It will take a face shaving razor edge easily. If I want a knife the blade steel is very important to me for edge retention. I would buy the knife if it had VG-10 without thinking twice. It is considered to be one of the best all-around blade steels.

Jack
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have used 154CM from several makers and VG-10 from a few as well. IMO the heat treat determines which is better vs the steel itself. I do however love them both, but based on all of my experiences with both I like VG-10 better.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DeathBySnooSnoo

Wolverine666 wrote:I've been checking out a couple Spydies and both have VG-10 blades (SuperLeaf and 75mm Persian2). Just checking to see what people think of the steel before I pull the trigger.
If you like 154CM then I think that you will be just as happy with VG-10.
On the hunt for...
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:If you like 154CM then I think that you will be just as happy with VG-10.
That's what I think too. Any excuse to buy a new Spyderco is welcome. This excuse shall be called "I just want to try out that VG-10". Has a nice ring to it.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Wolverine666 wrote:That's what I think too. Any excuse to buy a new Spyderco is welcome. This excuse shall be called "I just want to try out that VG-10". Has a nice ring to it.
Ha Ha that is always a good one the "I want to try ________" excuse. Can be used for almost anything. Steel type, steel thickness, blade shape, handle material, lock type....can always come up with one of those for almost any new knife.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Properties should be very similar to another in 154cm or N69Co. All assuming heat treated in a production knife "normal" range. That said it all depends in the application. Even a VG10 4mm thick FFG sharpens easy enough but compare it to a Cento3/4 or Delica and it's not the same.

Overall it should be pretty easy, pretty tough for a folder steel, easy to sharpen and very resistant to corrosion. Most importantly available in a ton of great knives :) .
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Well I'm sold. Looks like I will be the owner of some nice VG-10 goodness. I just have to decide between the SuperLeaf and the 75mm Persian2. This will also be my first Spyderco from Japan. My Spydies from Golden are great and the ones I own from Taichung are fantastic. How do the Japan Spydies stack up ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer it over 154CM, but not quite as much as S30V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

VG10 is a good steel, I love my Damascus VG10 core santoku for its fine edge and edge holding while cutting softer food.
In blades with thicker geometry it looses some of that special status. I like those rather toothy/biting edges S30V or D2 sharpen up to. VG10 rather goes smooth-razor sharp nontheless! My "knife test" is skinning and deboning game. VG10 blades skin well but their edge rolling after bone contact is nasty. They sharpen fast and edge restoring is a breeze but I rather prefer aggressive edges that degrade slower and are more work to get sharp again.
By the way: Those Seki made blades are excellent in fit and finish!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

VG10 is one of my favourites. Sharpens easily, retains an edge reasonable and is quite good with resistance to corrosion. A solid all round steel. I also prefer that it will roll (usually) as opposed to chip.

That being said I have had very little experience with edges rolling at a 30 back bevel and 40 micro bevel.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Bohler-Uddeholm N690 is similar to VG10. I shows up more on European knives but some custom makers are now using it since we cannot get VG10. Here is a little write up I did when it first came out. Phil

Bohler-Uddeholm N690
Bohler-Uddeholm N690 is similar to the better known Japanese VG 10. I have been working with N690 for a while and it has a personality that is different from other steels. The edge holding is better than one would expect from just looking at the chemistry. Maybe it is the cobalt and also the 1% Molly all working together. Hard to tell but what jumps out to me is the aggressive nature when sharpened on a fine silicon carbide stone. It cuts rope and cardboard like a saw, very, very aggressive. As mentioned before it is easy to sharpen and can be refined with a loaded strop to a very fine edge-- if one wants that. Heat treat is pretty straight forward. It can be pushed to RC63 as quenched with the same general process as 154CM. It is very sensitive to temper and even 30 degrees can make one point hardness difference. The best balance of hardness and toughness seems to be about RC 58-60. I have a couple of fillet knives at RC 60, with a thin grind that don’t show any chipping on the edge with pretty aggressive cutting on seasoned fir. With fine grinding belt grits like 320 the grain structure is visible. It kind of looks like D2 and 154CM with the large carbide strings. Some may not like this but I think it is pretty. It is very easy on belts, grinds like butter. For long edge holding on abrasive materials I still like the Vanadium Carbide PM steels but this one I think would shine as an easy maintenance EDC, makes a great fillet blade and also would be great for a Chef’s or other kitchen knife. As premium steels go the price per pound is very reasonable. This is a bonus for makers.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

VG-10 is a pretty great steel. I've never had issues with corrosion or serious chipping. Personally, I like D2 a tad better, but that might be the scandi grindon my D2 knife more than the steel.
Jack142

Post by Jack142 »

I think its been said a lot... imho...I like VG 10. I like the fact that it is easy to sharpen and yet holds its edge real well. I don't really use my edc real hard. Usually its cutting paper, cardboard, or sandwich's in half. I like having a edge shaving sharp. My knives with VG 10 seem to be my best. But its always a persons choice as to what they want out of a knife.
iyn

Post by iyn »

VG-10 easy to sharpen and rust resistant. I live and work near the ocean and I'm not diligent about oiling my blades, So I like this steel.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have to agree with Mr. Wilson's post above. I love N690 and wish Spyderco would do more folding knives (or a Mule) in that blade steel again. I think the Cobalt is the magic element that makes it a great steel just like VG-10.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dialex

Post by dialex »

VG-10 is a great steel. Usually, when it comes to picking a steel there is a compromise to be made between toughness, corrosion resistance, edge retention and ease of sharpening. From this point of view, VG-10 is very well balanced. I have knives in 154CM and VG-10 and based omn my experience with those steels, I'd eagerly pick VG-10.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.