Spyderco: the best place to work

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Spyderco: the best place to work

Post by jabba359 »

I know that at least a few of the forum members here don't use Facebook, so I thought I'd share Spyderco's post from today.
Thank you to Outside Magazine! Spyderco is honored to be apart of Outside’s Best Places to Work 2012 Project!

Spyderco was recognized in Outside Magazine’s fifth annual “Best Places to Work” list. Spyderco was ranked No. 39 out of 100 selected companies. Outside’s “Best Places to Work” project celebrates the innovative companies setting a new standard for a healthy work-life balance. Check out the full list of 100 at outsideonline.com/bestplacestowork.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... 20726.html
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

That is very cool! If I worked there I think they could just pay me with knives :D .

It makes sense if they have integrity towards their customers, they probably have integrity towards their employees too! Nice they got the recognition for that!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

soo sal, are you hiring? i have experience with running 5 axis cncs!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Great story thank you for posting the story. :)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Post by 1623 »

This doesn't surprise me in the least...you could probably pick up some good Karma just by walking around the outside of the building :)

Kudos.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Nice write up. I sometimes forget that they have less than 50 employees.
:spyder:
Dan
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

How does Spyderco deal with salaries? Hourly or salary? I just need to know how much I would have to pay to work there. :)

Jack
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Congrats, Spyderco! I always got the impression that the folks at :spyder: were rather dedicated and loved what they did, and the work:life balance issue is one that has really been ignored by many companies for too long.

I'd love to be involved with a company like this one day, but you know what happens when you make a job of your hobby.. Have to get a new hobby ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congrats to Spyderco indeed! I've often tried to imagine what it would be like to work at Spyderco...

My wife: "Honey, why are you getting up so early? It's only 3:15 AM."
Me: “I have to go to work.”
My wife: “But it’s Saturday, and you don’t have to work on Saturday. You can just sleep in.”
Me: “Sleep in? What, and miss out on going to Spyderco? Are you kidding me? Today I’m going to get to hold the 2013 Forum Knife for the first time. Nobody’s even seen it yet. And Sal himself asked me to put the finishing touches on the last 28 knives. Don’t worry, though. I should be home soon. Probably around 12:30 or so.”
My wife: “Oh good. We can have lunch then.”
Me: “Um, no, I meant 12:30 AM.”
My wife: “Oh, I see. Well, at least you’ll get overtime.”
Me: “Overtime? Well, not exactly. Eric said that if I came in today to help, he’d give me a laser-autographed Scorpius from his collection.”
My wife: “Oh dear. But how will we pay the bills with that?”
Me: “It doesn’t matter. We don’t need money. I work at Spyderco, remember? They pay in Natives, Para 2’s, Dodo’s, and Chinese Folders. Who could ask for more?”
My wife: “You are so right. You’d better get going.”

(Disclaimer: Please be aware that this was just a silly fantasy. I truly respect each and every member of the Spyderco team. The sad fact is, I am enormously jealous of them. :o Kudos to you, Spyderco Crew!). :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote:Congrats to Spyderco indeed! I've often tried to imagine what it would be like to work at Spyderco...

(Disclaimer: Please be aware that this was just a silly fantasy. I truly respect each and every member of the Spyderco team. The sad fact is, I am enormously jealous of them. :o Kudos to you, Spyderco Crew!). :)
+1 to Spyderco and +1 to the silly fantasy we have all thought about.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dialex

Post by dialex »

xceptnl wrote:+1 to Spyderco and +1 to the silly fantasy we have all thought about.
Same here.

... and when I think others fantasize about naked women (or men)... :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

But imagine how hard it would be to keep quite if you knew what the next Forum knife was!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Another hearty congrats to Spyderco. They type of company they are shows in how they treat their customers. It is easy to forget that they are not a 1000 person company! Kudos to all in Golden.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Congrats Sal & Gail. :)

edit: i know if i was a fireman even remotley close to Golden, i would surely try to get a side job at :spyder: or at the very least volunteer there on the weekends.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
cckw

Post by cckw »

Having mostly worked in fields I am interested in personally, (pro sound & audio/video mostly) when doing it for work the pace is fast and it's all business. so not the fun that you might imagine. In many cases it familiarizes you with all the flaws and the other negatives more then the positives. The positives don't need solved. I worked in the office of a speaker factory at one time and the general policy was that if someone was an enthusiast of the product that was a big negative in regards to them getting a job on the manufacturing side. So think of that, maybe half of the 50 employees don't really give a crap about pocket knives after 5pm :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Congratulations Spyderco...you guys hiring?