Does Spyderco make....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OBJ Viking

Does Spyderco make....

Post by OBJ Viking »

...a fully serrated Military model? I think it would be an awesome EDC/self defense tool. :)
I am one of the 0.45%.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

OBJ,

If I recall correctly, the Military was initially available in either full SE or PE (back in about '96). The blade steel back then would have been in ATS-34. The Military was later offered in CPM-440V (as well as many other steels pending on the variation--i.e. Sprint Runs, etc.). To my knowledge, I don't think there are any new Military models being offered in full SE. You can still find the full SE Millies on second-hand online markets if you shop around. Hope this helps. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

They did at one time, but not recently

Post by JD Spydo »

I know for a fact that the Military model was made in full Spyderedge during the ATS-34 run and the 440V run. I had one in 440V and I very, very much regret trading it when I did :( .

I do believe that in the early run of the S30V models there were a few made with full Spyderedge during that time around the early to mid 2000s ( around 2003 to 2006 or so). As far as I know they haven't had a fully serrated Military or Paramilitary since those days. Unless they did a Sprint run that I'm unaware of.

YES!! we indeed need the Military in full Spyderedge again and soon :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I have a friend who owns the serrated Police model that was made in ATS-55 back then; I guess it's a collectible now :)

Anyway, wouldn't the Civilian fit the description??
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Good info - Thanks. :)

Maybe they will make one again...I would definitely buy a standard Military with a serrated blade, possibly several.
I am one of the 0.45%.
rycen

Post by rycen »

They made a fully serrated military up untill approx 2 years ago. It was regular production made in S30V.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Country Knives still has both the black blade and satin blade versions. I suspect other dealers who do not discount heavily may have one or both as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Thanks- I will have to check them out. :)
I am one of the 0.45%.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

The Deacon wrote:Country Knives still has both the black blade and satin blade versions. I suspect other dealers who do not discount heavily may have one or both as well.
Thanks - I found them on page 15 of Spyderco knives on their website...I would love to have one, but they want more for one than I paid for my limited edition run CF Millie. That is a ridiculous price. I'll wait until it is offered again by Spyderco.
I am one of the 0.45%.
JD Spydo

Give us a Sprint Run if nothing else

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm still wondering why you couldn't special order any Spyder model in Spyderedge :confused:

I still long for another fixed blade in full SE like the Temperance 1 model. I still have my full SE Temperance 1 model and it's truly a beast of a blade and very handy at times. I would even love to see the STreetBeat or the Southfork offered in full SE.

But the Military model is an exceptional folder in full Spyderedge and I do hope we at least see it back in some Sprint Run if nothing else. I do hope that we are not seeing the Spyderedge going extinct :eek:
Most people have never tried Spyderco's fully serrated blades and don't realiize how much better they are over other serrated knives.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

OBJ Viking wrote:...a fully serrated Military model? I think it would be an awesome EDC/self defense tool. :)
I have on older SE Military. It's great for yardwork and makes quick work of small branches and vines.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:I'm still wondering why you couldn't special order any Spyder model in Spyderedge :confused:
There may be other reasons as well, but I suspect it's mostly because, aside from laser engraving, Spyderco does not do "custom shop" type work and Sal has stated on more than one occasion that they don't have the resources to do so. Plus, how many people would really be willing to pay full MSRP plus an added charge of say $20 for the Spyderedge?
Paul
JD Spydo

Spyderedge in the Garden: Almost a necessity

Post by JD Spydo »

Onionman wrote:I have on older SE Military. It's great for yardwork and makes quick work of small branches and vines.
Hey "onionman" I'm glad you mentioned that. I too have discovered how many lawn and garden chores are done so efficiently with a Spyderedged ( fully serrrated) Spyderco knife.

The 4 blades that I wish the most I could get in Spyderedge are as follows:
(1) the G-10 Ayoob Sprint
(2) The Military
(3) The Superhawk
(4) The Captain

I've found so many ideal uses for the Spyderedge that I just can't see how many knife users overlook their usefullness. I always take a fully serrated blade with me when I go hunting, fishing or even hiking. But in gardening there are so many uses for the Spyderedge I can't even begin to list them all. This may be cause for a thread all it's own :cool:
JD Spydo

Generate enough demand for a Sprint Run if nothing else

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:There may be other reasons as well, but I suspect it's mostly because, aside from laser engraving, Spyderco does not do "custom shop" type work and Sal has stated on more than one occasion that they don't have the resources to do so. Plus, how many people would really be willing to pay full MSRP plus an added charge of say $20 for the Spyderedge?
You probably have a good point there Deac :) However I still don't see why let's say you would have at least 200 or 300 people on a waiting list wanting the Military ( or any popular model as far as that goes) that they could at least do a Sprint run if you have that many people wanting them.

I know that sales and cash flow dictate a lot of what a company can and can't do but if there is sufficient demand I would think that they could find a way around it. Take the G-10 Ayoob for instance. Many Spyderheads that don't even really like serrations do like the Ayoob model in full Spyderedge just like they did in the first run of the Ayoob. I would think that if they would get so many people committed to let's say put half down and pay the rest when the knife is completed. Maybe I'm wrong but I bet there would be more interest than most people think.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If anyone really wants a serrated S30V Military, they do show up on eBay fairly regularly.
JD Spydo wrote:You probably have a good point there Deac :) However I still don't see why let's say you would have at least 200 or 300 people on a waiting list wanting the Military ( or any popular model as far as that goes) that they could at least do a Sprint run if you have that many people wanting them.

I know that sales and cash flow dictate a lot of what a company can and can't do but if there is sufficient demand I would think that they could find a way around it. Take the G-10 Ayoob for instance. Many Spyderheads that don't even really like serrations do like the Ayoob model in full Spyderedge just like they did in the first run of the Ayoob. I would think that if they would get so many people committed to let's say put half down and pay the rest when the knife is completed. Maybe I'm wrong but I bet there would be more interest than most people think.
JD, I can't speak for Spyderco, but I'd bet that if you could actually get even 100 people to pony up a $50 non-refundable deposit, they might consider it.

As for the Ayoob, I know it goes against your notions of how things are, but the SE version didn't exactly race off the shelves. Several dealers still had the original SE Ayoob long after the PE version had sold out and, at least until 2008, SE Ayoobs brought much lower prices on eBay than PE ones.
Paul
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The Deacon wrote:There may be other reasons as well, but I suspect it's mostly because, aside from laser engraving, Spyderco does not do "custom shop" type work and Sal has stated on more than one occasion that they don't have the resources to do so. Plus, how many people would really be willing to pay full MSRP plus an added charge of say $20 for the Spyderedge?
I agree, except that I'm guessing the surcharge for pulling regular production materials and workers to do this would likely be higher at this point. The group buy with deposit idea might be plausible, but I think it would take a long time to get 100 or more people who want this badly enough to pay too much extra, given that most collectors/afis tend to prefer PE on most models. I would potentially be interested, but the few people in this thread wouldn't be likely to justify the work. If there is enough interest over time, I suspect it would become much more likely.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Deacon wrote:Country Knives still has both the black blade and satin blade versions. I suspect other dealers who do not discount heavily may have one or both as well.
For the record, I looked again after someone inquired and Country doesn't have a Military with a fully serrated black blade. Further, after looking through the last seven years worth of catalogs, I've come to realize that no black bladed fully serrated S30V Military was ever offered.

Maybe Spyderco should consider doing one as next year's Forum Knife. ;)
Paul
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

I have searched the web and called various vendors and Country Knives is the only one with one in stock, but I can see why they have them as they are very highly priced....more than I am willing to pay. :(
I am one of the 0.45%.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OBJ Viking wrote:I have searched the web and called various vendors and Country Knives is the only one with one in stock, but I can see why they have them as they are very highly priced....more than I am willing to pay. :(
Have you looked on eBay?
Paul
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

The Deacon wrote:Have you looked on eBay?
I have and there was one there that I just bought for much less and free shipping. :)

ETA: It was also CPM S30V NIB, and not an older model. :D
I am one of the 0.45%.