Shootout: M390 vs S90V CF Military's Edge retention on 5/8" Manila rope

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jim, do you think the differences between the steels in edge retention would be different with a polished edge?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Jim, do you think the differences between the steels in edge retention would be different with a polished edge?
They would score as in the Testing thread, but not really sure because I don't know the hardness of the M390 blade yet.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks, do you think each will be affected to the same degree?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Thanks, do you think each will be affected to the same degree?
Yes I think so from prior testing of the steels.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jim,
Thank you for info.
Ankerson wrote:Have 2 here in S30V, haven't planned on it, I could do one between S30V and XHP. :)
Will be interesting to see this as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ankerson wrote:Yes I think so from prior testing of the steels.
Thanks again.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Thanks for the info.

It sure makes that S90V Southfork stand out as an incredible production blade.

I would be really curious to see where CPM 3V ranks in the overall scheme. I know it's trading off edge retention for toughness, but it would be cool to see where it actually sits on your list.

I sure do like my M390 Military, it's definitely the best steel I have and will hold it's edge noticeably longer than anything else I have. I need to try some S90V out...
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Great review - thanks for taking the time to do this and share it with us :)

I am not lucky enough to have an S90V Milie, but I do have the M390 Milie as my EDC and it has been excellent.

Will
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Jim,

Thank you for another great write up.

Have you ever considered doing two tests with the same knife, the only variable being the sharpening method? It would be interesting to see if using a motorized sharpening system had any adverse effect on the heat treat right at the bevel. I would invision using the same knife, first sharpening using an edgepro, wicked edge or traditional stones, then testing. Followed up by sharpening with a motorized method such as paper wheels or belt sander (done properly, regular dunking in water, care taken not to over heat) then test.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Jim,

Thank you for another great write up.

Have you ever considered doing two tests with the same knife, the only variable being the sharpening method? It would be interesting to see if using a motorized sharpening system had any adverse effect on the heat treat right at the bevel. I would invision using the same knife, first sharpening using an edgepro, wicked edge or traditional stones, then testing. Followed up by sharpening with a motorized method such as paper wheels or belt sander (done properly, regular dunking in water, care taken not to over heat) then test.
Thought about it before, but not with my knives. :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Got the HRC testing results back on the M390 Military, came in at 61 HRC, the S90V Military is 60 HRC.
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

Ankerson wrote:Got the HRC testing results back on the M390 Military, came in at 61 HRC, the S90V Military is 60 HRC.
Thanks. What is the HRC range on production knives for the two steels?

I imagine your results are on target for Spyderco, but I wondering if there is a difference in the ideal range.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jurisprudence wrote:Thanks. What is the HRC range on production knives for the two steels?

I imagine your results are on target for Spyderco, but I wondering if there is a difference in the ideal range.

Nobody else uses S90V in production knives.

M390 is usually 59-60.
Jurisprudence

Post by Jurisprudence »

Ankerson wrote:Nobody else uses S90V in production knives.

M390 is usually 59-60.
Seems to be a good result on M390. For S90v, what HRC range does Spyderco set?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Jurisprudence wrote:Seems to be a good result on M390. For S90v, what HRC range does Spyderco set?
From what I have seen it's usually around 60 HRC.