Isn't It About Time: For a Fixed Blade Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Isn't It About Time: For a Fixed Blade Hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco has really made huge steps in the fixed blade market. The last 3 fixed blade Spyders have just blown me away. However I would like to see them get into some specialized fixed blades that no other knife company would dare to touch.

Truly I think it's high time for a FIXED BLADE HAWKBILL. I can see many advantages for many types of workmen to have a fixed blade Hawkbill for a wide array of cutting jobs.

Like many of Spyderco's great blades being the first of their type I do think a fixed blade Hawkbill would really be a nice addition to their awesome selection of fixed blades. Most survival books I've read recently highly recommend fixed blades over folders for many reasons. So wouldn't it make sense to do a fixed blade Hawkbill for that market as well as other uses?

I know I'm not alone with this desire for a fixed blade Hawkbill so let's talk about it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Yup.. PE and SE should be offered. Vg-10 or H1. 3inch blade, full tang, FRN handles. Would make a great neck knife for fishing, canoeing, etc. Sign me up!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
You can count me in!
Would be a very useful blade.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Why limit the fixed blade Hawkbill: There are several options available

Post by JD Spydo »

.357 mag wrote:Yup.. PE and SE should be offered. Vg-10 or H1. 3inch blade, full tang, FRN handles. Would make a great neck knife for fishing, canoeing, etc. Sign me up!
OK I can go for all of that you mentioned. However why limit a new design to such narrow choices? I say this would be a fine candidate for one of the Supersteels.

Also I don't mind FRN handles at all. But then again why limit such a groundbreaking project to only FRN. I say this would be a great knife for a Micarta handle. I just love fixed blades with Micarta. Something like what the STREETBEAT has for it's handle.

Oh YES!! Full tang would be mandatory for a fixed blade Hawkbill>> nothing else would work for a knife that will be used on such rugged and demanding cutting chores.

Not at all opposed to using such a beast for a neck knife. But why not have a full sized version for general purposes and a smaller version to be used as a "neck knife". It's a "WIN-WIN" both ways when you think about it.

This will be a fisherman's, hunter's and outdoorsman's dream blade. I would love a duo of a Spyderco fixed blade Hawkbill along with a Southfork for all my hunting and outdoor needs. I can't see how anyone could object :cool:
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

And what would we name such a creature?

I'm in for one.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
peeintheshower

Post by peeintheshower »

working out a sheath might be a little weird, but it sounds great for law enforcement and fishing! nothing crazy
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

I think a bird of prey name would be fitting. Maybe the spyderco sparrowhawk?
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

hiredgun wrote:And what would we name such a creature?

I'm in for one.
I have 2 possible suggestions. First of all if they do a handle similar to the Streetbeat then you could call it the STREETHAWK

But the more I think about it this new blade should have a majestic name like the Osprey.

Or you could go with a name like the MegaHawk

But before we narrow down a name we should talk more about the specs and what everyone would want from a fixed blade Hawkbill if you were going to actually use it for hard cutting chores.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I wish someone could post some concept pics.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

KardinalSyn wrote:I wish someone could post some concept pics.
That's why I put this thread up>> It's wide open as far as I'm concerned and other than the suggestions than have been made like the full tang, Micarta handle, a large full sized version and a neck knife version>> after that I'm open to consider anyone's designs.

I wouldn't mind an H-1, FRN handled version for a less expensive version as well. Or if they decide it should be solely in the H-1 Salt Series then I can live with that if that's what everyone elects to have.

Again I'm open to suggestions and I welcome anything different than what we've already put up.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

I'd be interested--maybe a variation on the Mule concept? Sold without scales, so the user can make their own. Would keep costs down too.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
JD Spydo

MULEHAWK? I like that idea!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Monkeywrangler wrote:I'd be interested--maybe a variation on the Mule concept? Sold without scales, so the user can make their own. Would keep costs down too.
Hey I like that idea :) We could call it the "MULEHAWK" :cool:

Seriously I do like that idea. But I do want it available in full SE and full PE and I think everyone is on the same page.

But again I'm not against an inexpensive version with FRN scales. They could even offer it in a variation of blade steels like the MULE as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hiredgun wrote:And what would we name such a creature?

I'm in for one.
I vote Velociraptor, or just Raptor for short...you know, because of the claw.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
v8r

Post by v8r »

Monkeywrangler wrote:I'd be interested--maybe a variation on the Mule concept? Sold without scales, so the user can make their own. Would keep costs down too.
Beat me to it. Was thinking the same thing.....glad I read farther down the page.
I have recently started making my own Micarta for handles so this would be awesome for me.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
JD Spydo

Hawkbills are flagship blades for Spyderco

Post by JD Spydo »

You know the more I think about what you've said in this post the more my brain lights up :D Because what other knife company has flagship knives that are Hawkbill blades? That's right only Spyderco has>> So to me it makes perfect sense to have a Mule Series of fixed blade Hawkbill blades.

They truly would have a cornered market and it would probably boost the popularity of Hawkbills. Most people I know that have used Hawkbill blades like them. Getting people to try something new is always a struggle.

Even if they would elect to make a fixed blade Hawkbill as part of the H-1 Salt Series I don't see how they could lose. It truly would be the only one of it's kind and would be friendly to even the most harsh of environments. Again Spyderco is thee company that can make this a success.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Said it before a long time ago...
Check out my teeny weeny avatar...
Boomerang...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zackerty wrote:Said it before a long time ago...
Check out my teeny weeny avatar...
Boomerang...
I like your avatar "Zackerty" :) And if they wanted to make one of that particular design I'll be all for it I can assure you.

But again I would like to see a full sized one for general use and a smaller one to be used as a neck knife or whatever the user deems it to be good for.

I do want to hear more on handle materials and other general suggestions. VG-10 would be fine by me but I'm still open to any suggestions like D-2 or XHP or even M-4 I think would be great choices for a fixed blade Hawkbill.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Couldn't we just regrind a Whale Rescue blade, slap some scales on it - and then film our very own horror movie? :eek:

TedP
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Aren't we due to see a set of small fixed blades with varying blade shapes sometime soon?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Rwb1500 wrote:Aren't we due to see a set of small fixed blades with varying blade shapes sometime soon?
That's what I was thinking, too.

The hawkbill would present a sheathing challenge, I figure. Would be a cool idea, though.

- best wishes, Jazz.