Southfork in action: mini-review (pic heavy)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xavierdoc

Southfork in action: mini-review (pic heavy)

Post by xavierdoc »

I received my Spyderco Phil Wilson Southfork a little over a week ago and I've been enjoying it since. I've lowered the edge-angle a little and put on a 30deg micro-bevel.

As you would expect, it's cutting well and the edge-holding is excellent.

The knife is typical of Phil Wilson- optimised for cutting, not chopping/prying nor batonning. To this end, the flat grind is quite fine but nothing like as thin as his customs. Similarly, the full tang construction gives it a lot more heft than the partial-tang Phil often uses on his customs. Personally, I quite like this extra feel of solidity (even if it makes no difference to the practical strength of the knife.)

The weather has been pretty wet here but the forecast this morning was OK, so I decided to roast a chicken for Sunday lunch:

The Raw (pun intended) materials:

Wood, whole chicken, knife, onion, lemon, bay leaves, garlic, herbs, seasonings. At this point the dutch oven was still in the garage.

Prepared some feather-sticks and kindling: the Southfork handled this minor task with aplomb...

...and tried to light the kindling with a ferrocium rod. Ironically, the kindling didn't catch the spark but the neighbouring feather stick did! I'm not complaining:

Built the fire up with more feathersticks and and logs- need a good ember bed:

With the fire going, I turned my attention to preparing the chicken:

It has a half a lemon and onion in the cavity and it is sitting on a bed of stainless steel forks and boiling water (to keep it off the bottom and stop it drying out, respectively):

On it goes:

Continued...
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
xavierdoc

Part 2...

Post by xavierdoc »

Part 2:

About 80 mins later:

Are the juices running clear...?

Yup!

The chicken was left to rest while I got the rest of the meal ready.

Time to carve and see what we've got. Again, the Southfork excelled in this role:

Just about perfect! The breast is moist but not as good as the legs.

The verdict on the chicken:

Thumbs up all round (the pasta is "Pinocchio Pasta" from the Shrek Cookbook):

I'm impressed with the Southfork so far. The fit and finish are superb and the design is intelligent. I like the "guard"/choil arrangement; works well for choking up on the blade when needed. The sheath needed some minor tweaking (chamferring the edge of the boltaron at the mouth) but it works well.

My enthusiasm for using the knife helped get me off the "Olympic couch" and do something a little different for sunday lunch.

Verdict on the knife: a streamlined, sophisticated and stylish tool. Highly recommended if you can justify the price!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Excellent! I liked the knife being put to such good use.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
mrlysle

Post by mrlysle »

Awesome review! And awesome pictures! I'm starving now though, no thanks to you, and not a chicken in sight!! :)
Jeffro :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Excellent review. :D

Chicken looks good. :)
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

Great review, thanks!
sal

Post by sal »

Very nice review Xav. Nice pics too. Great family. Thanx much.

sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I enjoyed that review, thanks!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Excellent thread. I am looking forward to checking out this model. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

Excellent Sir that is how a knife is to be used not just for cleaning finger nails but all round usefulness. My wife also stated your chicken looks better than my green egg chicken when smoked!!
JD Spydo

on the GOTTA HAVE list

Post by JD Spydo »

The Southfork is not on my "want list">> no it's on my "GOTTA HAVE" list and at the top of it too. My dilema is very heavy on my soul. I've been saving for a Temp 2 for so long and have come short 2 months in a row>> and now this masterpiece with S90V steel comes along. Oh well I guess it's a good problem to have :D

I love the simple but yet elegant design. A design that has so many uses that you would be a fool not to get one. I'm just going to have to get both the TEMP 2 and the Southfork. I'll be on a fundraising drive for the next month or so and I will end up owning both of them.

I would sure like to see what kind of folder that Phil Wilson could design for the Great Spyder Factory.

This is one helluva blade make no mistake. But when I get one I still won't retire my Temp 1 :rolleyes: They need to make a new Temp 1 with H-1 steel and I won't shut up until they do :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Good review. Love the look on your wife's face. :)
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
kiwispyder

Post by kiwispyder »

Awesome pics and cooking, love your boy, scoffed his chicken quick smart and staring at his sisters food... hehehe.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Great knife! Beautiful family! Pass the pasta, please!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Excellent review, showcasing many practical uses for this knife. It's definitely on my need-list now.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

kiwispyder wrote:Awesome pics and cooking, love your boy, scoffed his chicken quick smart and staring at his sisters food... hehehe.
haahaaha I noticed this myself. He ate his chicken before you could even get to the table, must have just been that good! I hear S90v makes anything taste better! ;-)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

This thread makes me miss boyscout camp outs and dutch oven meals. It really is a great way to cook things. Very simple, hard to over-cook, and the dishes always have a rustic sort of taste to them.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Great review, thanks for sharing.
Come Join Us Click Here
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Thanks for the review and the great photos. Beautiful family as well, takes me back about 30 years. I am sure the kids are watching what Dad does and will be imprinted on camp cooking techniques. Phil
cckw

Post by cckw »

I can see what the Mrs is thinking. "Crap! he's gonna post this photo of us on the internet just because of one stupid knife. I better just pretend I don't mind since this is the first time he has cooked since the kids were born"