What's the best way to add a clip to a ladybug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blue72

What's the best way to add a clip to a ladybug

Post by Blue72 »

I love the ladybug, but I always carry something else due to no clip

So how can I easily add a clip to this knife without it being to difficult or ghetto looking either

Any ideas be greatly appreciated
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Too difficult is subjective. But, if it were me, I would open up the knife, drill two holes through ones scale, the side you want the clip to be on. Then, make a clip out of titanium, with the same two holes drilled in it. Slightly countersink the holes in the scale, on the inner side. Finally, take two bronze pins, and peen the clip to the scales. Sand the insides flush with the wall, and then put it back together? Pretty sure there are better ways, but this is the first thing I could think of.

EDIT: Or, you can make a clip out of kydex or titanium, drill a hole in the bottom. Then, thread a string through the lanyard hole of the lady bug, and tie it to the clip. Only problem is it would be dangling below the clip, and not really clipped in a solid fashion. Or, you can make a clip, drill one hole in it, and run a bolt through the lanyard hole. Then, on one side, you'd have the nut threaded to the bolt, which goes through the hole, through the clip, and to the other nut. I think this fits the ghetto category though.

If you need better explanations, I'll be happy to help.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey dd,
This is how I carry my ladybugs.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

My wife clips it onto her carkeys.
Sonny
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

just buy a suspension clip
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use these (the smallest version) http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner- ... -Steel.asp

But, as for attaching a clip, there's no easy way to attach a Spyderoco Clip. You could make a custom one screw clip and use a barrel screw like the Salt knives use. You might also be able to modify one of those Salt clips to work, but in stock size they're way too long. I think the easiest way would be to attach it through the lanyard hole. You might even be able to attach a wire clip if you cut two grooves for it to sit into and use one of the screws that the Dragonfly uses.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

You might want to have a look at a gear retractor? You can have it clipped to a belt loop or something and either un-clip it from the tether or just use it tethered for quick cuts. But this one is kept on the carabiner with some other small tools, the type that evilD suggested would be easer to clip on however.

I see, said the blind man.
Goeri

Post by Goeri »

I did something that might work for you:

Get the smallest clip from knifekits. It comes with the right screws. Drill the holes on the small side. You can then screw in the screws without threading the holes.
It worked, and still works, on my old Endura.
I have held the clip up to one of my Ladybugs. I seems to fit fine, under the lanyard-hole.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I don't like recommending the TEC Accessories Suspension Clip because I've interacted with the owner and quite frankly found him to be a jerk who tried to B.S. me.

In every advertising pic, you see the clip and split-ring attached. When I bought mine, the tiny (practically miniscule) split-ring wasn't attached. Found out that's how the clip is always shipped out. Then, I found out why . . . By the time you get the split-ring attached to the clip, not only will **** have already frozen over, but the Devil will have started to give away free snowcones. And, there are no instructions provided with regards to the best way to get the job done. I ended up using the needle-like tip of one of my folding knives to get that tiny split-ring to open up and stay that way in order to get it completely around the hole in the bottom of the clip. (Dangerous technique, and one I don't recommend others use. But I honestly have no alternative method I can recommend.) By the time I was done, I felt as though TEC Accessories owned me quite a bit more than the $12.50 I had paid for the clip. Considering all the aggravation involved in attaching that split-ring.

I expressed my concerns on another forum site I frequent. Was surprised to see the company owner respond to one of my posts. And he responded in the most laughable, Public relations way you can imagine. One, stating how his company makes a quality product. (I never said the clip was garbage.) Then the B.S. started. The biggest one was when he said that the reason they don't place the split-ring onto the clip from the factory is because they want to give owners of the clip the opportunity to use bigger split-rings, if they decide to do so.

One small problem with that blatant lie. You literally cannot attach a bigger split-ring through the hole than the one provided with the clip! Not gonna happen! And the owner of the company knows that full well. Also, when you advertise your product a certain way, but ship it out differently; that's just dishonest. It really is. You buy a Spyderco folder that's advertised with the clip attached, you're going to get the clip attached. What a concept! Actually deliver a product the way your customers expect it.

There was just an air of arrogance from the owner of TEC Accessories. Personally, I'll never buy another item from TEC Accessories. But to be completely honest, their Suspension Clip is the best commercially available method for attaching a clip to a Ladybug. If you can DIY something just like it, or know a very handy individual who can; I'd recommend doing that instead. If not, then go for the Suspension Clip.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I think the little kydex neck carry sheath from CountyComm is great. Keeps the little bugger right where you can get it.

TedP
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Monocrom wrote:You literally cannot attach a bigger split-ring through the hole than the one provided with the clip!
Wow, Mono, you sure can hold a grudge! I agree with your point that the split ring that comes with it is very fiddly, but it's not impossible to deal with. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I've changed out so many hooks on fishing lures over the years, but I didn't think the split ring was that bad. More to the point, though, I have a 3/4" key ring on my TEC clip - it will fit.
Monocrom wrote:But to be completely honest, their Suspension Clip is the best commercially available method for attaching a clip to a Ladybug. If you can DIY something just like it, or know a very handy individual who can; I'd recommend doing that instead. If not, then go for the Suspension Clip.
I agree. If you have DIY skills, you can make something better suited to your individual needs.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

jag-engr wrote:Wow, Mono, you sure can hold a grudge!
When I make a mistake or screw up, or accidentally insult someone while simply joking around; I apologize. If a certain someone, and in this case we both know exactly whom I mean, decides to run his business in a B.S. manner and behave like an arrogant clown . . . Until his behavior changes, my opinion of him will not. I recognize that some may think of that as holding a grudge. I don't. Just because several months have gone by, that doesn't automatically mean the situation has improved. It just means several months have gone by.

4Sevens is an example of a company that does things right. No, not right off the bat. Not every flashlight is perfect as it leaves the factory. But David has earned a fantastic reputation based on how he handles issues brought to his attention by unsatisfied customers. He doesn't dismiss their negative experience by making it seem as if it's just a minor thing. He doesn't put on an air of arrogance as if somehow a customer just doesn't get the nature of running a business. None of that. Here's what he does . . . He goes out of his way to satisfy the customer as best he can. David is one of the incredibly few business owners I knows who take every single negative post or topic, and turn it into the best, free, positive, advertising you could imagine. And he does nothing special except step in and personally handle every complaint brought to his attention. (Then again, in this Day & Age perhaps what he does is genuinely special after all.) Imagine that, customer service that consists of something far more than giving a customer a fake, monotone, apology when they call up; while offering them nothing else in return for satisfying them.

My blatant honesty gets me into trouble every now & then. But it's still honesty. It's extremely rare for me to sell anything online. When I do, potential buyers don't get the type of B.S. that I received from TEC Accessories. They know exactly what they're getting, and whom they're dealing with.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: