thinking bout buying a dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
boris

thinking bout buying a dragonfly

Post by boris »

Not sure which one yet, the Dragonfly 2 FRN ZDP-189 and the Dragonfly VG 10 w/G-10 are the same price. What are peoples thoughts on the ZDP-189 vs VG 10?
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I like VG-10 over ZDP but I'm one of the few. The dragonfly is a great knife. Perfect EDC blade that won't scare people when you pull it out. I have the H1 model carry it just about everyday.
mrlysle

Post by mrlysle »

I have the ZDP-189 Dfly 2, and I think it is incredible! :) Just posted pics over in the picture gallery. Thread titled "Dragonfly-show the love!" I think the general opinion is that either one is a fantastic little edc knife. Heck, get 'em both if you can! If you can't, get the one that looks good to you! Good luck in your decision!
Jeffro :spyder:
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I really like the G-10 version. But, that said, one of my next Spydercos is a D-fly H1 SE.
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

[CENTER]Doesn't reall matter which one you get bro. All have great steels. What a terrific knife & an awesome flicker. (changed my yellow h-1 into lime (toxic) green.) :D

[ATTACH]20695[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
D2GREEN.jpg
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
grewich

Post by grewich »

I love the extra weight of the g10 d-fly. It feels nice and solid in hand. The vg-10 is a breeze to sharpen. I'd go g-10.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree with Spyderbro, they all rock. The G-10 is a solid version and probably my favorite, but I do plan to get a ZDP soon. The H-1 has been riding in the FL pocket for 3 weeks straight now. Get one, get two, get them ALL! D'fly love.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

buy both and switch the zdp blade to the g10 version :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like ZDP over VG-10, but the G10 is by far the best DF. So go with that one.
On the hunt for...
tvhaugen

Post by tvhaugen »

I had both the ZDP and the G10. I sold the G10 and still have the ZDP. They are both great knives, but I prefer the lighter weight of the ZDP version for a knife the size of a Dragonfly. All that being said they are both great knives!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I can't answer your main question but thought I'd write about my salt.

I got the Dragonfly2 Salt out of the need to have a smaller inconspicuous blade that would not alarm the non knife people. I selected the Salt version due to the blade being H1 steel and it being impervious to rust. Also I liked that blade shape over the others in the Dragonfly 2 range. I seem to be selecting a lot of blades due to the blade design nowadays.

I use mine to open letters, packaging and smaller boxes. We use a lot of rough type paper here so the edge needs a touch up after a few hundred cuts. So far, I have only sharpened it twice on the Sharpmaker or maybe thrice after buying it. It's easy to get it back to shaving sharp. It came perfect from the factory and I have not had to adjust anything yet. The blade also is perfect for carefully cutting tightly wound zip ties and thick plastic straps used to tie down packages.

It's a whole lot of knife in a small package. And it's yellow.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
boris

Post by boris »

thanks for all the ideas, you guys rock :)
d.2.the.p

Post by d.2.the.p »

G10 D'fly is my personal fav. I took the clip off and use it as one of my office knives (rotated with a CF S30V Cat). It just feels solid and has stood up to everything I've thrown at it thus far. I work in IT, so it has had to cut countless boxes, clamshell packages, zip ties, and even a few cables, and it has never let me down.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I have owned every dragon fly 2 produced, and I would say what you buy depends on what you intend to do with it. If light weight is the ulitimate goal, and you are counting the grams, a lightweight Dfly (vg10 or zdp) or salt would fit the bill. The weight increase to the G10 is not that much, but it goes a long way for making the knife feel more solid. Also if you have not sharpened ZDP before, it can be a real challenge, and with the short but curvy blade of the D'fly, it might be particularly hard for you to sharpen. If it is going to be your first Zdp experience, I would not buy it, and go for the G10, which is my suggestion anyway. If you are going to be near water this summer, or working out with it, a salt is a great option. The serrated version would even hold an edge longer than the ZDP... hope that helps. -DC
jldc

Post by jldc »

FWIW I prefer the FRN versions of the Dragonfly. They are light and sturdy. The G10 is too rough in texture, too heavy, and tends to be very stiff opening. FRN is a near perfect handle material. It's tough and lightweight and relatively inexpensive. It's just not "sexy."

L
Mick

Post by Mick »

All good knives but if pressed to pick one it would be the G-10, VG-10.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I carry a Salt serrated edge just about everyday as a secondary blade. I use it cutting certain things that I don't like to cut with my plain edge knives, the last thing I remember cutting with it was about five feet of heavy felt tree wrap that was gritty with sand. The Dragonfly went right through it and I didn't even need to touch it up. I'm partial to the serrated edge models as I carry a large plain edged Spyderco for regular tasks.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Spyderbro wrote:[CENTER]Doesn't reall matter which one you get bro. All have great steels. What a terrific knife & an awesome flicker. (changed my yellow h-1 into lime (toxic) green.) :D

[ATTACH]20695[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Aw man that looks wunderbar!

I often thought of doing that (ZDP-189 on Salt's yellow FRN) but I heard it's difficult to put it back together. Any thoughts?
kens73

Post by kens73 »

Holland wrote:buy both and switch the zdp blade to the g10 version :D
like this
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
broadarrow1

Post by broadarrow1 »

I just got a ZDP-189 Dragonfly and think it's great. The D'fly ZDP has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it.

It's so good that I'm also going to add the Salt and G-10 Dragonfly variants.