Brad Southard Collab. Qustions, Have you any answers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCDesigns

Brad Southard Collab. Qustions, Have you any answers?

Post by DCDesigns »

First off, Id like to thank Mr. Blonde for the fabulous photo, his callendar contest entry as well. Id vote for it if I could! let me know if you have a problem with me using it man. Some times its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ;)

Im really bummed I missed preorder on this one. But then again I will probably end up trying to snag one as SOON as any hit dealer shelves.(if the yojimbo 2 is anything to compare to, the preorder wait will be signifigant.)

Im not sure if these have been discussed before, I was out of the loop for a while. My questions are:

-Is it going to be considered a "sprint" or a regular production model?

AKA - is there a known ammount of these being produced, or is it going to be on tap all the time like the Gale Bradley? (I believe it has potential to sell as well!)

-Obviously its a flipper, but are there any plans for using an IKBS style bearing system for the pivot? (it seems you cant have one without the other recently, and I think thats a big "+" if it does)

-where will it be made?

-anybody know the ball park price range these will sell at a low margin dealer price?

-Are there any variations planned? (I know this may be jumping the gun since the first one hasnt even come out yet, but with the Szabo folder, Eric Glesser just came out and said there would be an all black/DLC version after the first model was released in conversation at BLADE this year...)
vinito

Post by vinito »

I'm pretty sure it's a production model; it has been mentioned a couple times.
sal

Post by sal »

DCDesigns wrote: Im not sure if these have been discussed before, I was out of the loop for a while. My questions are:
DCDesigns wrote: -Is it going to be considered a "sprint" or a regular production model? ...)
Regular production
DCDesigns wrote: AKA - is there a known ammount of these being produced, or is it going to be on tap all the time like the Gale Bradley? (I believe it has potential to sell as well!) ...)
We do runs of 1200 pcs per run.
DCDesigns wrote: -Obviously its a flipper, but are there any plans for using an IKBS style bearing system for the pivot? (it seems you cant have one without the other recently, and I think thats a big "+" if it does) ...)
Brad wanted the ball bearings, but he didn't want them loose like the IKBS system, so we made a design specific captured ball bearing part.
DCDesigns wrote: -where will it be made? ...)
Taichung, Taiwan
DCDesigns wrote: -anybody know the ball park price range these will sell at a low margin dealer price? ...)
Not ready to announce prices.
DCDesigns wrote: -Are there any variations planned? (I know this may be jumping the gun since the first one hasnt even come out yet, but with the Szabo folder, Eric Glesser just came out and said there would be an all black/DLC version after the first model was released in conversation at BLADE this year...)
Eric's running the project so we'll make whatever variations he wants.

Hi Vinito,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I am pretty sure that he wants to make a Left Handed variation ;) :D

I am just guessing, but I think that this could end up being the most expensive Spyderco yet.
On the hunt for...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

sal wrote:
DCDesigns wrote: Im not sure if these have been discussed before, I was out of the loop for a while. My questions are:

Regular production

We do runs of 1200 pcs per run.

Brad wanted the ball bearings, but he didn't want them loose like the IKBS system, so we made a design specific captured ball bearing part.

Taichung, Taiwan

Not ready to announce prices.

Eric's running the project so we'll make whatever variations he wants.

Hi Vinito,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Haha, thanks Sal. I love knowing my info comes from a trustworthy source, lol. I am really looking forward to this one! From what I have read, the captured ball bearings offer no drawbacks, and are a **** of alot easier to deal with when dissassembling a knife! I know I will be chomping at the bit as the release date nears. Im also really glad to have the chance to demo cts xhp in a decent sized blade. I thought of buying the techno just to check it out, but I may just wait for the southard. This has me excited!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

DCDesigns wrote:Im also really glad to have the chance to demo cts xhp in a decent sized blade. I thought of buying the techno just to check it out, but I may just wait for the southard. This has me excited!
I believe it's going to be CTS-204P, not XHP. Guess you still have an excuse to pick up that Techno.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Incase you missed this.

https://youtu.be/71DBFEnuhSw
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

This looks like another big hit, really looking forward to it.

This seems to have a lot in common with with ZT 560 Rick Hinderer colab (flipper, Ti RIL, captured ball bearing system) and while that is a great knife, it wasn't for me. I'm thinking this one is.
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

He definitely wants to make a left handed variant!
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

If the colors change on a variation, ill be in
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

DCDesigns wrote: Some times its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ;)
NCIS rule #18! Am I right!? :D So excited for this knife. I love flippers, I love spyderco... what could possibly go wrong?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

"Holy flipper Batman" said Robin
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
sal

Post by sal »

An FYI,

The "Flipper" was created by Kit Carson. We wanted to refer to the flipper as a "Carson Flipper". We asked Columbia River's President for permission to do so, since Kit Carson's model is a big model for them. The concept of our using their named designer on one of our models begs the marketing question. I'm pleased to say that they decided to give us permission to do so, so the Southard folder incoporates a "Carson Flipper". We applaud Columbia River's value system to put the designers recognition above marketing.

sal
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

One of the reasons I love spyderco so much. You're always making sure to give credit to whoever's design you've used. I see many other blades that use features from other designers, and not only do they not ask for permission, they do not even acknowledge this innovator's contribution to their knives. But nope, with spyderco, it's always the "Walker Linerlock" and "Reeve Integral Lock" and such.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

DCDesigns wrote: -anybody know the ball park price range these will sell at a low margin dealer price?
$239.94 at Howe's :)
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I cant seem to find specs on this. How long is the blade? How heavy is it? What is the closed length? Thanks
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Glad to hear that CRKT has that attitude about the flipper, Sal. I think I would carry a flipper more often if it had an opening hole :)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am really super excited for this one. This will be the first "premium" price preorder I've been in on since being spyderbit. Thanks Sal, Eric, Brad & crew for this terrific looking colaboration.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

sal wrote:An FYI,

The "Flipper" was created by Kit Carson. We wanted to refer to the flipper as a "Carson Flipper". We asked Columbia River's President for permission to do so, since Kit Carson's model is a big model for them. The concept of our using their named designer on one of our models begs the marketing question. I'm pleased to say that they decided to give us permission to do so, so the Southard folder incoporates a "Carson Flipper". We applaud Columbia River's value system to put the designers recognition above marketing.

sal

Very nice... :spyder:
9 er's.....

Latest :spyder:s...C173G, SC90FPGYE, C81GPGR2...
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Just bumping this thread up because this knife has really grabbed my attention.

CTS 204P blade that looks absolutely great for edc uses
Carson Flipper and Spydie hole
ball bearing pivot

I would love to know if the Brad Southard flipper will have either a steel insert or carbidized lock face on the titanium lock bar?

Also, some specs like size and weight would be cool.