Brad Southard Collab. Qustions, Have you any answers?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Another question for Sal: will this have the same lockbar insert as the Tuff and the Ti Military?
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I like opening flippers... I own several from multiple companies and from custom makers...

I find that flippers open very fast and easy... closing is problematic... I get 'bit' if I am not careful... the flipper + spyderhole solves both - fast opening (slower, controlled opening via hole available) and controlled closing... I like a fast opening knife... I am much more comfortable closing a spyderco with one hand ... because of the control that the hole offers...

I am going to buy multiple of these... the Southard might finally get my millie out of my pocket)

I find that Tai-Chung knives have a 'custom' feel... and this one looks awesome!
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Pharmagator wrote:I like opening flippers... I own several from multiple companies and from custom makers...

I find that flippers open very fast and easy... closing is problematic... I get 'bit' if I am not careful... the flipper + spyderhole solves both - fast opening (slower, controlled opening via hole available) and controlled closing... I like a fast opening knife... I am much more comfortable closing a spyderco with one hand ... because of the control that the hole offers...

I am going to buy multiple of these... the Southard might finally get my millie out of my pocket)

I find that Tai-Chung knives have a 'custom' feel... and this one looks awesome!

Yeah I like flippers too. They open nice and I like how the flip lever acts as a guard when open.

I'm definitely getting one of these Brad Southard folders as long as there is either a steel insert or a carbidized lock face on the titanium.

After owning one Emerson that had Titanium liner lock against a steel tang, I'm not a fan of the sticking lock and really fast rate of wear.

What did Spyderco do with the Techno and Sage 2? Is it just heat treated titanium or carbidized? Does heat treating work well enough?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

JNewell wrote:Another question for Sal: will this have the same lockbar insert as the Tuff and the Ti Military?
I'd be curious about this as well. I've had issues with titanium framelocks like uneven wear and stickiness. I'm just not a big fan of Ti framelocks.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

JNewell wrote:Another question for Sal: will this have the same lockbar insert as the Tuff and the Ti Military?
It will not have the lockbar insert as the Tuff or Ti military.

I'm looking into if it is carbidized or not. I can say the production prototype has been flipped thousands and thousands of times, by many different hands. I saw it when it was new, which was many many months ago, and I saw it just a few days ago. Lockup hasnt moved at all, nor is it sticky in any way.

I'll see if I can get a solid answer for ya.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jabba359 wrote:I believe it's going to be CTS-204P, not XHP. Guess you still have an excuse to pick up that Techno.
Ah! you are right! donno why those two wires got crossed in my brain. yup gotta get both...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Brad S. wrote:It will not have the lockbar insert as the Tuff or Ti military.

I'm looking into if it is carbidized or not. I can say the production prototype has been flipped thousands and thousands of times, by many different hands. I saw it when it was new, which was many many months ago, and I saw it just a few days ago. Lockup hasnt moved at all, nor is it sticky in any way.

I'll see if I can get a solid answer for ya.
Thanks - looking forward to this one extremely either way!
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Man. CTS 204P. Flipper. Ti RIL. Need. NEED!

Can't wait for this one.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I'm really enjoying how Spyderco is collaborating with these great designers.

Thanks for making this one Brad, you make some very nice knives! Can't wait to see this one in production.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jet B wrote:I'm really enjoying how Spyderco is collaborating with these great designers.

Thanks for making this one Brad, you make some very nice knives! Can't wait to see this one in production.
Yes, and the great design and engineering work is being very well brought to reality by the excellent work at the Taichung plant. :spyder:
Kohbanang

Post by Kohbanang »

Maybe someone know more ,but Sal have write at a nother forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post
I believe they're in QC now.

sal
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Beautiful knife, the only little thing I don't like is the little piece of G-10 to avoid to over-travel the locking bar. IMHPersonnalTaste, it would look better in titanium.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm really jonesing for this one (nice work Eric and Brad!), but the price is really out there. I know the sales price is directly tied to production costs (per Sal), so Spyderco's production costs have to be huge on this one. Will it evolve into more than a niche product in the Spyderco line at that price point?

TedP
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I hope I get in on the first batch with my pre-order. This is my most anticipated knife this year and I'd be happy even if were the only knife I got for the whole year! Personally, I like the little G-10 insert, as it adds to the intricate design. If this is as close as it seems, then it appears the 204P issues have all been resolved, and we all know that there might be a person or two waiting on a green Para 2...
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

I agree, have been really excited about this one. I love Mr. Southards designs, and hope to get one, one day, but can't afford one atm =[, and this will help make the leeway :p Hopefully it is a carbidized lock face. I believe I heard the Ti millie had some premature wear, especially when you flick it out etc, which led to the issuance of the steel insert. I can only imagine that may be even more true for a flipper. Especially since its usually "flipped" open, but some people may also try to wrist flick with it, which just adds to the force. Albeit, none of my ball bearing system knives even remotely needs it. They swing out so fast, and smooth its a total treat to play with lol :p Now I know this will void warranty, but I already plan to get CF scales + CF lock bar over travel prevention as well [the g10 portion on the lock side]. Ohhhhh baby i can't wait!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Its available!!! http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=788

Will need to raise the credit card limit :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

phillipsted wrote:I'm really jonesing for this one (nice work Eric and Brad!), but the price is really out there. I know the sales price is directly tied to production costs (per Sal), so Spyderco's production costs have to be huge on this one. Will it evolve into more than a niche product in the Spyderco line at that price point?

TedP
I wonder if this (quote below) is some of the cost? Also, street price is much more reasonable than the MSRP. Add premium materials like the titanium scale and the steel and it's fairly priced, I think.
To support the smooth operation of the flipper mechanism, the Southard features a unique ball-bearing pivot system. Rather than conventional flat washers, the Southard’s blade pivots between special washers that contain nested ball bearings. This advanced construction greatly reduces friction on the blade, providing an incredibly smooth action and maximizing the efficiency and ease of operation of the flipper mechanism.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I am pretty sure that he wants to make a Left Handed variation ;) :D

I am just guessing, but I think that this could end up being the most expensive Spyderco yet.

+1 for left hand variation down the road!!! How about it Eric, any chances? Either way, it is a great design!
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

phillipsted wrote:I'm really jonesing for this one (nice work Eric and Brad!), but the price is really out there. I know the sales price is directly tied to production costs (per Sal), so Spyderco's production costs have to be huge on this one. Will it evolve into more than a niche product in the Spyderco line at that price point?

TedP
+1
Yes it is expensive, I can't say for certain but in most cases new tooling is expensive, on a collab some profits must go to the designer, shipping USA steel to Taiwan, shipping product back to USA, IDK, it can add up. It's a sweet knife. The ZT 560 Hinderer collab is $260 new street and plenty bought those. Even some of us Spyderco enthusiasts. I won't preorder but I am saving up for one.
Paul
:spyder: Sage1, Stretch II CE-sold, S35VN Mule,Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Delica BRG ZDP-189 PE, Manix 2 CPM M4, Para 2 CTS-20CP :), M390 Mule, #Southard Flipper, Left Hand Millie, Para 2 204P :D, Delica Super blue
It is a mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

theres a pre-order up for a shoppe that sells cutlery ;) pretty good price too.