Do You Wash Your Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Oofa

Do You Wash Your Knife?

Post by Oofa »

I cut up a raw chicken and it left my Para 2 in quite a foul/fowl :rolleyes: condition. I washed it in soap and hot water, let it air dry and hit the pivot with a couple of drops of Blue Lube. I've never had to completely wash a folder before and I'm paranoid about any consequences. Anyone wash their knives once in a while? Should I be doing anything else to ensure the water doesn't leave any damage?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wash my knife the same as i wash my Mustang...only when absolutely necessary. In between washes, i just wipe it down as needed. I try to avoid submerging the pivot unless it's really necessary. When i do, i use some compressed air to blow out the moisture and/or a hairdryer, then lube and it's good to go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I always wash mine after cutting food. Most times just the blade, but I'll wash it out completely if I even think something might have gotten into the pivot area. I've also occasionally needed to wash a brand new one to get grit out of the pivot and/or lockbar. My new damascus Caly 3 got a bath this afternoon for just that reason.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

As above, I wash when needed. Several of my knives have been through the washer, some twice :o .
I would not recomend anyone wash there knives in a washing machine, but I just dry good, and oil, and have never noticed any problem at all.
So I cannot imagine an easy wash at the kitchen sink, followed by a good drying, and oiling, could cause any harm.
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Yeah, that is right Dan. Mine occasionaly go through the wash as well.
Remember folks they are Spydies & can handle it :spyder:
O.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

the knife I carry gets washed often.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I try to remember to clean them up at work with the air compressor.

I wash and wipe off the blades from food residue too.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I wash my Millie in body sweat almost daily here lately. Otherwise, maybe once every few months I zap the insides including the pivot area with Gun Scrubber. Then a couple drops of CLP in the pivot. Works great so far. I check the lock surface area for grime once in a while and keep excess CLP away from that surface. Thats all.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I did the right thing and I shouldn't be so worried about it. BTW, the Para 2 did just fine cutting up chicken. Other than the blade being a tad short to be doing a whole chicken, the thing surprised me at how well it cut and cleaned up. So far, it really is a do-all little knife.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I was them when they get dirty, or if I clean a fish or something.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Never my pocket knife. Only rinse and/or wipe it down.
I do have a set of kitchen knives that I wash for sanitary reasons though.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Sometimes a knife needs a complete submerge washing. In those cases towel it off, compressed air and then lube in the pivot, on the blade and on the liners if possible.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
GSO

Post by GSO »

I often carry a Salt knife when anticipating a messy situation. It gives me much less hesitation to fully rinse down the knife afterwards.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What's the big deal in washing a folder? I wash my GB and SB Caly all the time. No issues at all. Maybe washing is part of that "hard use" that ya'll hate. :D
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

I regularly run my knives under the faucet with hot water. Just dry them out to the best of your obility and lube them after, and you're good to go. I don't see how a little water being kept in the pivot could hurt anything, expecially if the blade is stainless. I even do it with my GB and M4 Manix 2 with no issues.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

I wash the blade before and after I use my knife on food.
I will wash the whole thing about once a month, then blow the moisture out with a blower/hair dryer.

A drop of CLP on the pivot and a touch up on the Sharpmaker and it goes back into my pocket
power is nothing without control
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I wash my folders all the time, they really doesn't fall apart from a little water ;) . To get all the water out of the insides a blowdryer and a bit of WD40 can provide piece of mind.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Mr Blonde wrote:I wash my folders all the time, they really doesn't fall apart from a little water ;) . To get all the water out of the insides a blowdryer and a bit of WD40 can provide piece of mind.
I do the same. Sometimes I even skip the WD40 and just let it air dry and then apply Tuf Glide to the pivot and blade. I think washing your knife is a good idea after you have carried it for some time. All that lint inside needs to be cleaned out.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

If the knife is used for cutting food, I don't lube the blade after washing the knife, just a drop of Tuf Glide into the pivot area. Wouldn't want to taste Tuf Glide in my food.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Rinse often, wash regularly, dry with an ordinary or a paper towel and put it back in my pocket. Never use a blow dryer or air compressor. Drop of oil if I feel like it.