Spyderco Goddard Baby C20

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fast.ed

Spyderco Goddard Baby C20

Post by fast.ed »

Was curious to know how many "Baby Goddard" knives were produced.
Its a number thats hard for the layperson to deduce because of the number or sprint runs.

Thanks,

fast.ed
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Japanese makers normally require an order for a minimum of 1200 pieces, so I'd say it's safe to assume the Sprint Run version would have been somewhere around that number. As for the original version, it was first listed on the late 1993 price list, was on the 1994 and early 1995 lists, then disappeared from the late 1995 list. My take on that would be that only one or two runs of them were made, but that's strictly a guess. Someone at Spyderco may have more accurate information, but given the lack of it for many other models, I'm guessing the only folks who might still have some record of that are the Goddards.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

They remained on the closeout lists for a long time in 1994/95, which supports your position, Deacon.

I had time to buy one, lose it (left it in the pocket of a suit that went to the dry cleaners), buy a second one, and then lose that one. :mad: I still have my burgundy sprint, however...

TedP
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Those were made with micarta, right? Why does Spyderco favor G10? Is it easier to give it texture?
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

Alas, I had the Burgundy Micarta Baby Goddard I bought new in the mid-90's. I traded it to a guy for a motorcycle trailer a couple of years later. A good trade then, and I still have the trailer.
I never would have traded the knife away, but it was partly serrated, and I was over serrations then, and still am.
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pockets wrote:Those were made with micarta, right? Why does Spyderco favor G10? Is it easier to give it texture?
Am sure it's easier to buy peel ply G-10 than peel ply Micarta, but Sal has also cited superior dimensional stability as a reason for favoring G-10.
SteelyDan wrote:Alas, I had the Burgundy Micarta Baby Goddard I bought new in the mid-90's. I traded it to a guy for a motorcycle trailer a couple of years later. A good trade then, and I still have the trailer.
I never would have traded the knife away, but it was partly serrated, and I was over serrations then, and still am.
FWIW, the burgundy one was the Sprint Run a couple years ago. The original ones from the mid 90's were a greenish/brownish black.

[CENTER] Image [/CENTER]
Paul
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

Deacon, I stand corrected. After seeing your pic, a few brain cells fired! Also, I have slept a couple of times since then! :o
Dan.
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I still have mine from the early 1990's:

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bdblue wrote:I still have mine from the early 1990's:
Given the number and location of the pins, I'd say that's a C18 Goddard Jr., not a C20 Baby Goddard.
Paul