Yojimbo 2 training blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
303bob5280

Yojimbo 2 training blade

Post by 303bob5280 »

Yesterday was totally awesome. Called outlet and was told they had two yo 2s. Got one pulled and drove over to pick it up. Was really glad to finally have hands on one. Difference from the clone is huge. Being lucky enough to be in Colorado have had the pleasure of taking MBC sessions with both Mike and Eric!

Before i try to find a shop to custom a training blunt drone blade, I was wondering if anyone had already found a supplier.

Now to dream about an under 3 inch blade version for travel out of Colorado!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

We're planning a drone, but it's still a way's off. Maybe Mike has a solution.

sal
303bob5280

Post by 303bob5280 »

Thanks. I'll take a couple!
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

sal wrote:...

We're planning a drone...

sal

Great news!

peace
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I am currently working with Steve Rollert of Keen Edge Knives to create a solid aluminum non-folding Yo2 trainer. Steve is extremely talented and did an outstanding job of CNC programming to accurately capture the exact dimensions of the knife, while providing an edge and point that are completely safe for training.

In order to produce the trainer with the Spyderco Round Hole, Steve is currently completing the licensing paperwork. His first production of the trainer will be focused on serving the needs of the participants at the 2012 Martial Blade Camp late this month. Those trainers will be offered through Stay Safe Media. After that, the remaining production quantities will be shared by Stay Safe and Keen Edge. Per the licensing contract with Spyderco, quantities will be limited.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To All:

Steve Rollert of Keen Edge Knives delivered the first batch of Yojimbo2 trainers to Stay Safe Media at the recent Martial Blade Camp 2012 event. The trainers were very popular at the event and were very well liked by those who used them in the training. They are now available through both Stay Safe and Keen Edge. Here's a photo of one with a Yo2 live blade:

[ATTACH]20762[/ATTACH]

The detail is excellent--including the engraved MBC logo. Thanks to Steve Rollert for his outstanding work!

Stay safe,

Mike
Attachments
photo.JPG
Michael Janich
DigitalUrbanCamo

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

I don't see them posted for sale...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DigitalUrbanCamo wrote:I don't see them posted for sale...
Likely as they are the first batch and the maker isn't pushing them on a manufacturer level. ie: 1200+ piece batches.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Suddenly i really want a stainless handled Yo 2..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

They are brand new and neither Stay Safe nor Keen Edge has loaded them on their sites yet. However, the product is in stock and shippable. For now you have to call to order.

BTW, per Keen Edge's agreement with Spyderco, these will be a very limited item. Production in 2012 will not exceed 200 pieces.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

One request I have for the realio-dealio drone is to keep the same thickness of the blank throughout the blade. A recent Dog Brothers event had someone get shanked by a P'kal trainer and that thinner point and edge didn't help in this regard.
thelock

Post by thelock »

My guess is that the fixed trainer is much heavier, if so, then it's not good for training, weight difference, balance point, grip etc. are extremely important in my opinion!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

thelock wrote:My guess is that the fixed trainer is much heavier, if so, then it's not good for training, weight difference, balance point, grip etc. are extremely important in my opinion!
Its made of aluminium? I don't think it would be heavier than the steel blade, I would guess lighter at the blade end, possibly more heft in the handle, but not enough to matter.
I see, said the blind man.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are different kinds of training. I'm sure two people sparring at 70%+ would end up with bruises and possibly cuts. Reasonable people or working techniques I'm sure they work wonderfully.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I have been training Israeli knife fighting for more then 4 years now, even the closest difference in weight and grip makes a huge difference for me. Blev the word ''reasonable'' doesn't exist in a knife fight. It's not a game, no lightsabres! ;)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Steve Rollert is an amazing craftsman with decades of experience in the martial arts. He did an exceptional job on the Yo2 trainer.

Based on the preceding discussion, I took my live-blade Yo2 and the trainer over to the postal scale. Live blade = 4.2 ounces. Trainer = 4.2 ounces. I then balanced the live blade with the blade open on my finger to determine the balance point, which is about 1/4 inch behind the pivot pin. The trainer's balance point is almost exactly in the same spot, perhaps 1/16-1/8-inch closer to the butt.

The contact portion of the edge is .130-inch wide and smoothly radiused. It spreads the force of contact over a large surface area and is very comfortable during training.

In short, Steve Rollert did a masterful job on these. I've been using his trainers for years and commissioned a batch of custom barong trainers for the 2009 Martial Blade Camp. His stuff rocks.

As for the Dog Brothers/P'Kal incident, I personally feel that steel, aluminum, or even hardwood trainers are for skill training, not full-speed sparring. Training tools like Nok trainers are much more appropriate for sparring.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
thelock

Post by thelock »

That's great work. Hopefully more and more people will realize that just carrying a knife for self defense without training is not enough, facts show that people without training, if they get into a knife fight usually end up cutting themselves with their own knife. In my opinion every tactical knife should have a trainer version. As for sparring, we do full speed but with protection on.
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

A non folding trainer? Makes me wish for a fixed blade yojimbo 2. I would love one of those.
-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Truckie453 wrote:A non folding trainer? Makes me wish for a fixed blade yojimbo 2. I would love one of those.

Have a kydex made and carry your Yo2 open. At least that's what I have been told. :p
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Truckie453 wrote:A non folding trainer? Makes me wish for a fixed blade yojimbo 2. I would love one of those.
Well the Yojimbo is basically a folding version of the Ronin lol...

I see, said the blind man.