Suggestion for a 2013 Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

Blerv wrote:They could always change it to:

"All the Earth's Creatures Have Knives"

The capitalization of "Earth" indicating the name of the planet, not a deity.

Excellent! I couldn't have said it better!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nothing appeals to everyone. There are plenty of things I won't buy, for whatever reason and plenty I wouldn't wear if they conveyed a message I didn't agree with. That said, the "All God's Cirtters Have Knives" slogan has been a Spyderco trademark for many years and has been used, with one illustration or another, in magazine ads, as cover art on the 1998 dealer catalog, on posters, and on two different t-shirt - the one that's the subject of this thread, and the one shown below along with the '98 Dealer catalog and poster.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

jabba359 wrote:Wow, this thread got derailed quickly!

My only problem with the shirt is the design is far too busy for my taste. For this reason only, I'd pass on getting one.

Note to Oofa: welcome to the forum. As a new member here, I hope you take some time to get to know the people that frequent the forum and that you become a more established part of the community. I may not agree with your view of dictating what the company can or can't say, but hope that we can enjoy the common ground that is our love of knives.
Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading the forum for quite a while before joining and I look forward to getting to know the people here. I don't want to be "the new guy that doesn't get it" and step on anyone's toes. The tread asked for suggestions and I threw one out. I would hardly call that "dictating what the company can or can't say".
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Well I for one believe that this phrase has already been stated this way by Sal and should remain the same as he stated it. The Deacon was reccomending it as a 2013 sprint run or something of the sort so if you don't like it just don't buy it... There are quite a few companies out there where a few guys don't like the guy who runs the company for what he believes but they still buy their product because it is good stuff!
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Oofa wrote:Isn't the topic "suggestions for a 2013 sprint run"? That's my suggestion. <b>Do not bring God into a slogan for a knife company.</b> I don't know what you being a Christian has to do with anything. A companies stand on anything makes a difference to many people when deciding if they want to do business with that company. That is why I suggest a more neutral slogan on the t-shirt. Just a knife guys opinion.
Oofa wrote:Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading the forum for quite a while before joining and I look forward to getting to know the people here. I don't want to be "the new guy that doesn't get it" and step on anyone's toes. The tread asked for suggestions and I threw one out. <b>I would hardly call that "dictating what the company can or can't say".</b>
Sorry for not understanding your intention. I now see that you only have the company's best interest in mind. Please let me explain why I belived you were dictating.

The first bolded phrase is worded as a command ("Do not..."), which is what I based my "dictating" comment on. It seems you didn't intend it that way, but unfortunately all I could go off of is what you wrote, and what you wrote dictated that the company does not use the term "God" (which may signify Allah, Shiva, Gaia, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc). Hopefully this explains sufficiently where my confusion derived from!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I would welcome a 20th anniversary shirt. My originals are beginning to wear out.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
nullity

Post by nullity »

I really like that shirt. I would definitely buy one.

As a non-religious man, I find "God's creatures/critters" perfectly acceptable. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Deac I have one of the newer renditions of that same shirt except it has a bit different artwork on it. I just wore my "ALL GOD'S CRITTERS" T Shirt yesterday and actually got compliments on it.

I'm hoping for a Sprint run of that shirt as well as a serious Sprint run of the G-10 Harpy. Because NOW is the time for new T-Shirt and NOW is also the time for a NEW HAWKBILL as well :cool: :D
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

N. Brian Huegel wrote:I would welcome a 20th anniversary shirt. My originals are beginning to wear out.
Lol. I was eight in 1993.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Rwb1500 wrote:Lol. I was eight in 1993.
Nice! Keep it to yourself, okay? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I own two of the original versions...in colour...
And about time to get two more, methinks?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

What steel should they make it in?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I might buy one if it came in S90V chainmail. :D
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Rwb1500 wrote:Lol. I was eight in 1993.
So...are you old enough to buy knives then? :p (JK, of course ;) ).

gbelleh wrote:I might buy one if it came in S90V chainmail. :D
Nah, I'd much prefer the chainmail to be made from Mithril. (Much like the coat of Dwarven mail made of Mithril that was given to Frodo by his uncle Bilbo... :D ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I just want a spyderco shirt. Something more than the spyderco bug on the front. I like the one about the steel being the heart of the blade, and heat treating being the spirit? I can't find a picture right now, but it's what I'd hope a sprint run of a shirt would be.Image
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

i only wear s90v carbon fiber sprint run shirts.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Love the idea Deacon.

I would also buy some!

In addition I would love to see a shirt with a Spyderco symbol on the back and on the front it just said "Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth". :D I would buy just about anything that was/is Spyderco attire related. I wish they also had a nice baseball hat that didn't look weird like the current "military" one they have.

Man I could sure come up with some good Spyderco T-Shirt designs I think. Endless creation opportunities.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Reject

Post by Reject »

gbelleh wrote:I might buy one if it came in S90V chainmail. :D
H-1 steel for me thanks.

:o I tend to sweet and the last thing I need in my chainmail T-shirts is rust.

:) I like “All God's critters have knives” as a simple man, I only see the truth of the statement.
How much can a Koala bear?
Studey

Post by Studey »

I'd love to see a reprint of the shirt.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Cool design! Would prefer a poster over a T-Shirt, maybe they can put it on the back of the 2013 calendar or something ?