So what is the reason for no Combo edges in the salt lineup?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

So what is the reason for no Combo edges in the salt lineup?

Post by tonydahose »

I was looking for a pacific with that edge and I couldn't find one. I checked the main spydie site and it looks like it isn't offered. is it because they lose money on these type of edges or does it have something to do with the H1 steel?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've never paid special attention to the salt line, but they don't make serrations on the Pacific? Wow. I'm pretty sure the hawkbill shaped salts, such as the tasman, are serrated. If I were to purchase an H1 knife, I'd get it serrated. H1 is work hardened, and I recall that serrated H1 has a very high RC, around that of ZDP, while the plain edges are closer to VG 10, in the 59 category.

EDIT: I just checked, Pacific is serrated. I don't think I'm allowed to link sites, so just in case, there are serrated version at the river place, shop for cutlery, and more. I googled Spyderco Serrated Pacific.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Maybe the general knife buying public for H1 knives finally saw the light? Either full PE or full SE, CE doesn't work! ;) ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Yeah there's plain edge serrated but theres no combo edge :confused:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Spyderco makes either plain edge or serrated edge in the pacific. The combo is not offered. Now Wouter, one day i will get you to convert and love the combo edge :D . I was going to say the Catcherman is a great combo edge knife and then i realized that the latest version of that model was made with H1 so i guess the lack of combo edges in the rest of the salt lineup has to do with not much demand for them.
My knives
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The only H1 knife to get the partial serrations was the USN Catcherman, which isn't quite as versatile of a knife as the other Salt offerings. I wouldn't mind seeing some CE versions, but I have this feeling that CE hasn't been selling well in recent years.

<i>edit: I see you came to the same conclusion while I was slowly typing away on my phone...</i>
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Blah, if you can convince spyderco there is a reason to make a combo edge on their salt knives, which are mainly marketed to people who will be using them around water, then Im sure they'll make them. Unfortunately I dont see that happening. Either your using it to cut rope and other synthetic materials on boats and such, or your cutting up fish, neither of which would be better with a combo edge.

Combo edges are the devil anyway....lol
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Probably because combo edge knives have a history of selling poorly, Tony. Plain edge sells poorly in sheepsfoot, hawkbill, and reverse S blades. Serrated sells poorly in collector oriented models. And, with only rare exceptions, combo sells poorly across the board. Native is either one of those rare exceptions or most folks feel it's more "**** near fully serrated" than combo.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Oh sorry, I must have misread combo for serrated. My problem with combo edges are that the serrations are on the wrong side for me. So I'd rather have a combo edge where the plain side is closest to the pivot, with the serrations further out near the tip. The reason is that most of the finer slicing, which I do with plain edges, require the inner portion of the knife, such as in making a feather stick or something. But it limits the knife, 2" of serrations, 2" of plain edge. I don't think a lot of people use combo edges much, which may be why they're more rare than the other ones. I suppose one can always buy the plain edged version, and combo it themselves though.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

jabba359 wrote:The only H1 knife to get the partial serrations was the USN Catcherman, which isn't quite as versatile of a knife as the other Salt offerings. I wouldn't mind seeing some CE versions, but I have this feeling that CE hasn't been selling well in recent years.

<i>edit: I see you came to the same conclusion while I was slowly typing away on my phone...</i>
The only Salt folder that is. I love the CE on my Caspian Salt.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sequimite wrote:The only Salt folder that is. I love the CE on my Caspian Salt.
Silly me! You're right, I was only thinking about folders. And I even own a Caspian Salt!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

yeah i was guessing it was just a matter of no demand for them. I am not going to beg for one, Sal finally made a pimped out version of the Endura, (the damascus) so I am still a happy camper but i still say combo edges have merit.
My knives
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Most likely because combos dont sell. Most people who want to have a serrated blade around carry two knives. Basically its a compromise that no one wins in. Not enough serrations to be useful, nor enough plain edge to be either. Plus personally I assocaite a combo edge with cheap import crap, because so many have it...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Yep, if you look at knife shop inventories CE is always what they are stuck with, even long after model discontinued.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

DCDesigns wrote:Most likely because combos dont sell. Most people who want to have a serrated blade around carry two knives. Basically its a compromise that no one wins in. Not enough serrations to be useful, nor enough plain edge to be either. Plus personally I assocaite a combo edge with cheap import crap, because so many have it...
Agreed, i feel like people who don't know much about knives always want the combo edge because it "looks cool." also many of the cheaper brands, like the gun brands like to make tons of knives in combo edge for these people.

I'd never own a combo edge delica, because great, you got 1 inch basically of both edges...what benefit are you getting?
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Funny this topic should come up, I have recently been looking for something in the the salt range, leaning towards Pacific, and was also disappointed at the lack of combo edge. I usually go for plain edge without question but in the case of work hardened h1 a combo would be my first pick.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Combo edges do work, they may not sell as well, which is why I don't complain about more of them being made by Spyderco. I never really understand why people can't accept there is a time and place for any type of tool. When I am working out in the yard, I primarily carry a CE Mille because it has proven its usefullness. I would love to have a Pacific CE which would serve the same function with the added benefit of ease of cleaning (clean edge for grafting to avoid the transmission of disease in plants for example).

CE's, for me at least, have nothing to do with looks. I use my knives for a wide range of tasks. Function comes first, which is what probably drew me to spyderco in the first place. Cheaper knives do tend to have CE's, but I wouldn't call any of my Spydies cheap. If you don't have a use for CE's that fine, it is your choice to buy them or not, if CE's don't sell well for the company it is the company's choice to produce them or not.
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

I think the Combo Edges are also more difficult to produce to please the customer. I mean - should it be 50/50 PE/SE division? Or should there be more plain? Perhaps the Salts (often used in marine environment) should be 60% serrated + 40% plain? Which section should be located at the tip, and which one at the handle? Most producers locate the serrated part near the hilt, while Victorinox does just the opposite.

There's just too many variables, and doing one thing wrong may cost you some customer base (who may go for either full-serrated, or full-plain).
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I just realized, All my Spydies are PE.

The only CE knife I have is my BG USK. How did that happen?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

akaAK wrote:Combo edges do work, they may not sell as well, which is why I don't complain about more of them being made by Spyderco. I never really understand why people can't accept there is a time and place for any type of tool.

This. I understand perfectly well that they are not everybody's first choice. That's fine. But some of the dislike of them seems over the top. I have a couple of CE Enduras and find that they offer enough PE edge to work well and enough SE edge to work well. Are they a perfect solution? Maybe not. My favorite edge type? Not really. But are they a usable tool? Of course.